Forums Latest Members
  1. chiefbrody Jul 6, 2015

This is a 1971 model. Sorry I haven't taken a photo of the movement yet, but its as it should be( I've seen it) serial number starting 31***. I spent a lot of time viewing this forum and reading Speedmaster 101 ( great reference) and I decided to lay my money on the line using my own judgement. I love the watch. Its got lots of bumps and knocks but it will be a daily wearer so I don't need to worry too much about it. I believe its all original bar the bezel, but it is the correct type- i think. Any comments will be greatly appreciated so as to further my knowledge. Have I missed anything obvious?

P1040564.JPG P1040565.JPG P1040533.JPG P1040535.JPG P1040541.JPG P1040551.JPG P1040558.JPG
  2. gemini4 Hoarder Of Speed et alia Jul 6, 2015

I think it looks fine. The bezel is not a DON and that is correct for the '71. I think the bezel is correct for your watch. It has the raised dial which is correct for the 71; the last year of the raised dial. Enjoy!

3. gemini4 Hoarder Of Speed et alia Jul 6, 2015

Of course you should check out the movement as well and get it serviced

4. shaun hk Fairy nuffer Jul 6, 2015

Nice dial and hands, great pick up,
    Enjoy it

5. davten Jul 6, 2015

Yeah! Love it! Great looking watch. Enjoy! :)

6. AAAKK First listing in the ΩF B2B phone book Jul 6, 2015

Nothing wrong with the accumulated signs of wear; much more preferred than something polished to within an inch of its life. To my eye, it looks like the bezel and insert have been replaced. I would expect to see wear to the bezel and insert commensurate with the dings to the case. Looks too clean to me. I'd be curious to other opinions as to the bezel. Still a nice piece.

7. Which Watch Next Jul 6, 2015

Congratulations. I'm preparing to take the leap on my first speedmaster. How long did u search and research?

8. chiefbrody Jul 7, 2015

Will do, and thanks for the reassurance-its always nice to have. Congrats on your new Speedy purchase.

gemini4 likes this.
  9. chiefbrody Jul 7, 2015

Only a month on the Speedmaster, but it was an exhausting month. I have really only collected 50s and 60s constellations so far and I spent nearly a year studying Desmonds blog before I felt confident about a purchase.That was good foundation work for me to get my eye in, I think.

With the speedmaster, I studied known genuine examples over and over and wrote out some basic guidelines. I start off assuming its fake or incorrect and work on proving otherwise. I use a checklist. Serial numbers that match caliber and years are readily available. With dial and hands, again all that info is out there. I assembled myself a portfolio of photos but after a while the info has started to stick and I can dismiss a lot of watches with one glance which means searching is less exhaustive so eventually you save a lot of time and effort. Good luck with your search, its not rocket science (excuse the pun) just a bit of hard research but thats part of the fun.

10. chiefbrody Jul 7, 2015

I agree with you about the wear, although on the wrist the watch looks lovely. These close up photos make it look a fright but its really not, its beautiful. What I can't abide is soft lines from heavy polishing and you will always notice that on your wrist-there is no hiding from it.

You are right about the bezel but I was fully aware it had been replaced but its the correct type-dot next to 90 AND 70 and no accent over E. I expect everyday wear will roughen it up bit. Thanks for responding- its nice to get reassurance when spending a decent amount of money.

11. chiefbrody Jul 7, 2015

Thanks, I'm loving it.

12. rollingrevolver Jul 7, 2015

Congrats! My first proper watch was a speedmaster and I still remember the lovely feeling I had when I first owned it.

13. chiefbrody Jul 7, 2015

I can't stop looking at it. As a design, it must be close to perfection.