My first Speedmaster 145.012-67

Hello Omega Forums,

I just landed (purchased, I own it) my first Speedmaster 145.012-67, a 1039/516 date 4-68 with box and papers. I can’t tell you much about the watch, but I did get the Extract from the Archives. Watch production date: Oct 30th, 1968. Delivered to the USA. Movement 2655XXXX

Watch runs great, love the look but needs a cleaning badly (not a polish). It will be getting a service in the Spring. I live on Long Island, any recommendations on who to bring the watch to service. The watch will never see the inside of an official Omega service center.

What do you think? Do you see anything that is off with the watch? Does it look original?

Thanks in advance.

Artie

20231208_090922.jpg 20231208_090940.jpg 20231208_090946.jpg 20231208_090953.jpg 20231208_090957.jpg 20231208_091441.jpg 20231208_091501.jpg 20231208_091737.jpg

I love a grimey wrist cheese watch! Its so satisfying watching an ultrasonic cleaner go to work on bracelets and movement-less cases.
A really good clean and some polywatch on the plexi would brighten up that classic.

Word of warning though- it gets dangerous once the vintage speedy bug bites you..

To me it looks original and correct from outside, dial hard to tell behind the scratches but will likely clean up well. Condition is consistent throughout of a well worn watch
Please share further photos as you go!

Congrats. Case looks lovely and sharp and the bracelet is a bonus.
The dial is lacking a certain vintage charm/warmth as the lume appears to have been lost. I’d consider getting the dial relumed to make it pop (Unless the lume is there and the bright light is washing it out?)

Unless the lume is there and the bright light is washing it out?
I too thought the lume was lost but I do think it’s just overexposed. I zoomed in on the second picture a pleasing lume color.
IMG_6247.jpeg

Please, sanitize that bracelet! 😀
Congrats, it's a legit 145.012 in worn condition.

Congrats on landing your first Speedmaster 145.012-67, that's awesome!

Oh man! I am so excited to hear the feedback on this watch!!

It’s been a good 3 years looking for my first premoon, Pre 145022. I have read “Speedmaster 101” over and over again. It was an amazing reference, along with this forum. Both were the pinnacle in making any and all decisions on this Speedmaster purchase. Before purchasing, my thoughts were the watch is 100% original with the original bracelet. I think I got that right?

The watch was so dirty, BUT I love an honest dirty filthy watch that had a good life. Haha. If I wanted a shiny new looking Speedmaster, I would have purchased one and I still might? I am deep cleaning the watch though. I took off the bracelet and set it in an ultrasonic cleaner…WOW! The dirt, the dirt that came off the 1039 was shocking. The water was BLACK. It took a good soaking and many minutes to clean this baby. The 1039 bracelet looks great. I will be switching out the bracelet from time to time with a few NATOs I have. I am looking for a Black Strap (alligator) with an Omega deployment clasp. A classic look for the Speedmaster aka Strap Monster.

I will be removing the movement and cleaning the case this week. I think I will bring it to my watch guy and have him remove the movement, I will clean the case and then have him pop back in the movement. I know it’s easy to do but don’t want to screw it up. The case is not polished in any way, and it will stay that way. Whatever battle scars the watch has will be left and the watch worn with pride. But it will be as clean as I can possibly get the watch. Scratches I can live with, dirt is not acceptable.

I threw the watch on a Timegrapher 1900, and it looks to be running well but it’s still getting a service in the spring. Again, if anyone has recommendations for a servicer for Speedmaster in the NY area please share their info.

I will post photos and details with progress. Thank you all for the help! I would not have been a confident and informed buyer without your help.

Cheers,

Artie

Congrats Artie…great choice for a first Speedmaster…vintage or otherwise!