Forums Latest Members
  1. Jdalt Jun 16, 2014

I purchased this 50th Anniversary Seamaster GMT from the Forum last week

http://omegaforums.net/threads/omega-seamaster-gmt-w-sword-hands-2234-50-00-full-set.13635/

Received it on Friday the 13th which, contrary to popular believe, was a lucky day for me :)
    Seamaster GMT Wrist Shot.JPG

The red box it came in was a bit chafed but I think that is common when looking at other Omega boxes online. Upon taking the watch out, my first impression was that it looked much cooler in person (I wasn't sure about the 1/2 black 1/2 silver bezel but i love it now). Also, almost immediately after handling it, the mechanism ran which was a first for me (My Seiko Orange Monster needs a few shakes to get it going from rest). I was also glad to see the "Red Dot" still on the case back which was difficult to determine from the sale pictures. After 24 hours it is running -7 seconds which is slightly off than COSC but still very respectable for a 5 year old Omega with no service. The bracelet fit me like a glove right out of the box which was also a bonus, however, it does have quite a bit of light scratches.

I have a couple of questions though and if somebody from the Forum could answer it would be greatly appreciated. First, for a 5 year old watch as this one is, when would you service it? Second, I do want a thorough Omega maintenance service complete as the bracelet could use a good polish but I live in Canada and the only authorized Omega service centre is in Toronto and just wondering if they do a thorough job as the Omega website states? Third, the bezel is about 90% like new but if I wanted to replace it, would you go full OEM (about $300) or get the aftermarket bezel insert from ebay (about $40)?

Here is another picture just after getting it - first drive :)

Seamaster GMT Car Shot.JPG

Great forum - thanks!

Jason

Icaras and persco like this.
  2. legends71 Jun 16, 2014

Great watch mate, enjoy it.

3. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Jun 16, 2014

Congrats mate enjoy, and yea the red OMEGA boxes have a reputation for shedding like a sick cat, completely normal.

citizenrich and panamavin like this.
  4. ctime3 Jun 16, 2014

I concur cool watch just like Ray Donovan except you have the GMT version. That watxh fits like a glove and it is comfortable and very legible and very noticeable.

5. Jdalt Jun 17, 2014

Funny:thumbsup:

Thanks for the comments everybody. Didn't know who Ray Donovan is but I do now - nice Seamaster on his wrist!

6. X350 XJR Vintage Omega Aficionado Jun 17, 2014

Congratulations, great watch!

7. Jdalt Jun 17, 2014

Thanks Norm! Maybe someday I can get a nice vintage Seamaster with your assistance - your goods are quality :)

8. NT931 Jun 18, 2014

Jdalt, you just got your wish - Norm's got a SDV up in the sales forum ;-)

9. Jdalt Jun 18, 2014

Man, that's a nice one too! New summer tires or that Seamaster DeVille? Maybe I'll flip a coin - heads I buy that watch or tails I don't buy new summer tires :)

10. msp1518 Jun 18, 2014

For service one cannot go wrong with Canada's (and this forum's) very own Archer. I'm sure others will chime in on this.

That is a sweet piece. I prefer them to piece that retired them, the Planet Ocean.

11. Jdalt Jun 18, 2014

Thank you for that info! I don't mind sending it to an Authorized Omega Service Centre (Swatch Group on Richmond St in Toronto) but I've heard mixed reviews in terms of getting what you paid for. One review even mentioned that they removed the serial number on the lugs. For now, I'd just be happy to polish up the bracelet which I might even do myself after reading this:
    http://forums.watchuseek.com/f20/refinishing-your-watches-144273.html

Thanks again for the great comments!

12. Hijak Jun 21, 2014

Congratulations!:thumbsup: Looks great...enjoy.

13. MikiJ Likes songs about Purple spices Jun 21, 2014

Ray Donovan is the star of a modern Showtime TV mini-series. He's too cool and has a box full of watches including several Omegas.

14. DanOmega Jul 23, 2014

Congrats! Cool timepiece...

15. speedbird Jul 24, 2014

Absolutely flawless

16. Fusion Jul 24, 2014

There's a guy in canada that will do it. Forget his name but he also gives you. Cd of pics of your watch and it's cheaper than retail.

17. Hijak Jul 24, 2014

Al of Archer Watches

persco likes this.
  18. Jdalt Jul 28, 2014

Great info - thanks Hijak.

And thanks to all for the comments. I love this watch!

19. uansari1 Jul 29, 2014

+1 for Al at Archer Watches. He is an Omega certified watchmaker and will do as good or better a job as Omega will. Far more reasonably priced, and he's in Canada to top it all off! Great watch!

20. Tritium Jul 29, 2014

Really nice watch, suits very well on your wrist.
    Enjoy it;)