Forums Latest Members
  1. Winston_Smith Sep 11, 2020

Hi all!

I'm planning to bid for a vintage -1923 to be exact- Omega. See below for the pics.

However, here is the deal: The seller admits that the watch needs cleaning, barely runs anymore (unfortunately this is the only info I've got re the condition) and it will probably cost me around €130-150 including shipping and taxes. My watchmaker told me that it could require a service that would cost an additional 60 to 120€, excluding the cost of any replacement parts.

I never embarked on a project like this so really wonder whether you did, would recommend or would pass it. Do you guys think that a full serviced watch would yield a good return on investment? I'm not planning to re-sell it afterwards as I want to match it with my 1915-1918 Longines, but can't promise myself if I receive "an offer I can't refuse" à la Michael Carleone!

Anyway, enough with the chit-chat, I'll let the pictures speak now:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. LesXL Sep 11, 2020

Nice project it seems.

Dial looks nice, and movement will need some love. I'd be surprised in the service will be on the low end of the estimate. Assuming your only doing movement. Crystal seems to be clean enough to only have it polywatched, but can't really see it from the picture.

What is the movement caliber?

Now, you should do it if you'll enjoy wearing it, and not get too obsessed about resell value. Try to get it on the lower end of the purchase price to have more euros to invest on the servicing.

And should you receive an offer you can't refuse... I'm afraid it will not be a favourable one based on the movie reference :)

Winston_Smith likes this.
  3. Winston_Smith Sep 11, 2020

Hi, thank you so much for your fast reply! Your message is indeed encouraging for me to get this piece :)

The movement cal isn't unfortunately written on the movement. However, IMHO this shouldn't really be a problem since most 1920s Omega's I've seen on the web don't have a cal no either. This one, too, only bears the serial, the Fifteen 15 Jewels, adjusted positions etc.

Absolutely! I'm first motivated to add it in my collection and not resell it immediately for any profit. But at the same time, I don't want my watch to tell me how idiot it was to invest too much money in it every time I check out the time :)

Haha so true! I always use the expression for fun's sake but this has been an intimidating reminder :eek::eek:

4. arturo7 Sep 11, 2020

For that price I'd buy it.

DaveK and Winston_Smith like this.
  5. SkunkPrince Sep 11, 2020

I'd paid a lot more for a watch and a lot more for a service to get something nice, pictured below. I think that is a good price, if you can afford it.

IMG_0262.jpeg
    DaveK, adam78 and Winston_Smith like this.
  6. SkunkPrince Sep 11, 2020

Something else to consider... see if your watchmaker will let you hand-polish the case while he's working on the movement. You can improve its appearance greatly with less risk of overpolishing and losing the sharp edges.

My watchmaker let me do that with a gold-filled Omega and he was impressed with how it turned out.

7. Winston_Smith Sep 11, 2020

Wow! Such a stunning piece you've got out there! And it looks like your watchmaker did such an artisanal job with it. Hope I'll end up the same:rolleyes:

Fortunately, my watchmaker isn't too strict with doing all the job himself so I'm sure he'll let me take over the polishing. However, he did a pretty good job with my 14k Longines, so I may let him do the hand-polishing, as well.

1043763-c788c962d33c5e908be0ee076c818187.jpg

IMG-20200804-WA0001.jpg
    SkunkPrince and DaveK like this.
  8. UncleBuck understands the decision making hierarchy Sep 11, 2020

Calibre 23.7 S.
    Buy what you like.......very, very few of these are investments if judged by your wallet but only worthy if judged by your heart.

Nitrodog and Winston_Smith like this.
  9. Winston_Smith Sep 11, 2020

FYI: The lot got larger than expected so I had to cede this beaut :(

Has been a great ride anyways! :)

10. François Pépin Dec 21, 2020

Nice dial.

I think it is rather a cal 26,5.

Winston_Smith and Lucasssssss like this.
  11. SpeedyPhill Founder Of Aussie Cricket Blog Mark Waugh Universe Dec 22, 2020

almost a centennial Omega !