Forums Latest Members
  1. card0s Sep 28, 2019

I'm looking to buy my first vintage watch and I'm looking for an Omega Constellation, preferably a stainless steel Pie Pan with arrow indicators.
    I've been mainly reading the forum, Desmond's blog and the Omega Enthusiast youtube channel.
    And I have been looking at eBay and Chrono24, it's interesting because with the tips/info gathered I was able to spot some bad redials and Frankenwatches.
    So far, I haven't found a watch that I like for a good price and reasonable condition (those over polishes ruin everything). I have, though, stumbled upon a Constellation that caught my attention for being NOS. The strange part is that it is reference 168.005 SP with a caliber 565 which, from what I've seen, was used in Seamasters and Geneves.

Could this be an original one that came from Omega like this?

const_nos_1.jpg const_nos_2.jpg const_nos_3.jpg const_nos_4.jpg const_nos_5.jpg
  2. Walrus Sep 28, 2019

Well it looks ok not a pie pan unless my eyes are bad but what up with that purple on the back?

3. card0s Sep 28, 2019

You are right, it is not a Pie Pan but since supposedly it is NOS I wouldn't mind buying it as my first vintage watch and then maybe in some time buy a Pie Pan.
    The blue/purple from what I could research is some factory paint meant to "protect" the case.

Walrus likes this.
  4. efauser I ♥ karma!!! Sep 28, 2019

How much?

5. card0s Sep 28, 2019

1599€

6. efauser I ♥ karma!!! Sep 28, 2019

I would like @Peemacgee’s opinion but I would like to see better photos although I am on my phone. 1600 euro seems high to me for a gold capped connie.

card0s likes this.
  7. Walrus Sep 28, 2019

Ya sounds a little expensive I paid 300 for a Connie. Don’t use that as a guide I found it in an out of the way shop and it also had a ding on the dial and needed service. Connie prices confuse me, someone here is selling one for 1400 or so and it’s the same style as the one I now there must be differences between that one and mine and not just the dial ding. That is a really nice example you found I’m just confused about Connie prices and have no idea where that one should be.

card0s likes this.
  8. jheezy Sep 28, 2019

I'm wondering the same. I've been researching the 168.045 for a couple of months now, and I'm so confused as to what's appropriate. Some say ~$400, but eBay and Chrono24 are typically over $1,000. I've also been eyeing some c-case models, but those seem to range wildly in price.

card0s and Walrus like this.
  9. Walrus Sep 28, 2019

Yes I should have clarified mine is a C case. Had the original brick as well. It’s just strange to see so many different prices on similar watches it makes me hold back.

card0s likes this.
  10. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Sep 28, 2019

Few Questions

So why Is the crown a replacement if it’s NOS

Purple goo can be bought and comes on replacement case backs from Omega

Colour of lugs compared to the rest of the gold on the case.

And price is a bit high for a capped/platted dome dial.

chronos, card0s and S.H. like this.
  11. Peemacgee Purrrr-veyor of luxury cat box loungers Sep 28, 2019

I’m a little indisposed at the mo’ but also looking on my phone, this watch looks less than convincing.
    I don’t like the shape of the lugs
    At the very least the hands are wrong, possibly the whole dial.
    The movement is wrong.
    I would expect perlage in the case back.
    I wonder what the purple snot is hiding?

card0s likes this.
  12. DaveK Yoda of Yodelers Sep 29, 2019

Just from what I have read, shouldn’t a older NOS Omega have a yellow gasket? This one is black

card0s likes this.
  13. Shabbaz Sep 29, 2019

A non chronometer movement for a connie?!? And with a serial 44xxx for a 168005!?! It's a franken alright...

14. S.H. Sep 29, 2019

My thoughts exactly. A franken (565 instead of 564, and the crown ::facepalm2::), a bad dealer's special, at a good dealer's price. My advice : run, don't buy.

I can live with a replaced movement, shit happens to a watch in 60 years. But at the very least it should be the exact same caliber ref.

kkt likes this.
  15. card0s Sep 29, 2019

Thank you all for your input.
    The watch is for sale on Chrono24 in case you want to take a look at more pictures.
    Regarding the lugs, I thought they were the dog leg ones, but apparently I'm mistaken.
    I suspect this is some Franken between a Connie case and a Seamaster/Geneve movement. I've been browsing the web and found a lot of Seamasters and Geneves with the same movement and hands.

I'll definitely stay away from this one.
    As I said in the first post I'm looking for a Connie Pie Pan, preferably a stainless steel one with arrow indicators.
    For the price range, I've seen them in eBay, Chrono24 and other watch stores starting at 1500€ plus for good condition ones which is a bit more than what I was looking to spend, so I'll keep looking.

16. S.H. Sep 29, 2019

Take a look in the FS section, right here. There was a good one for sale not long ago I think. You can't post a WTB for now, but you can contact the sellers by PM.

17. card0s Sep 29, 2019

I've checked it thanks. There is a very good one for sale there, but I'm looking for an arrowhead for now.

18. chronos Sep 29, 2019

In addition to all the things that already have been pointed out, it also seems as the stem is too long, the crown doesn't sit tight on the case.

19. Peemacgee Purrrr-veyor of luxury cat box loungers Sep 29, 2019

No yourr not mistaken, they are meant to be dog leg lugs.
    I just don’t like the proportions.
    The fact that everything else is a put together leads me to believe it could be a fake case

card0s likes this.
  20. Edward53 Sep 29, 2019

A steel pie pan with arrow markers, dial and case in good condition and for a good price is probably possible if you forget about the "good price" bit. I don't think they're flying under the radar any more.

card0s likes this.