Forums Latest Members
  1. Jdalt Oct 23, 2013

I just received my first Longines, a 1953 14K with 23Z movement thanks to X350 XJR. Here is a wrist shot.... Longines 1953 23ZWrist Shot.JPG

My first impression of the watch was that it looked new! Other than the small mark on the dial (not noticeable even on the picture), it looked perfect. Hats off to Norman for excellent servicing of this one! My second impression was that it was small (30.6mm) as the smallest watch I own previous to this purchase is a 34mm Gruen. After wearing it, however, it grew on me. I also realized the historical perspective in the sense that this was considered a mid sized men's watch at the time. After winding it a few times, I set it to my iphone time and after 36 hours gained 2 seconds! I am a relative newbie to the world of watches and certainly new to Longines brand but my research so far though on Longines has revealed their mechanisms were on par and even exceeded Omega in the 50s and maybe 60s.

I have a few questions for the Forum. First, is this normal for a 60 year old (albeit serviced) Longines 23Z to keep such good time? Second, of the commonly used Longines wind up mechanisms at the time (12.68N, 23Z, 22L, 370, 30L), which one, if any, is "better"?

Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Jason

2. ulackfocus Oct 23, 2013

Hi Jason. You got a sweet watch. Thought about it myself because the dial is so cool.

Yes, it's easily the norm for a watch the quality of Longines to keep such good time as long as the maintenance is kept and the parts are in good order. Their manual wind watches were the benchmark of the 40's, 50's, and 60's.

If you were ranking Longines' manual wind wristwatch movements, I would say the 23Z is near the top. Of their standard production movements only the 30L was considered better, and the 12.68 was close IMO. The 22L and 370 were average for Longines, which means they would be considered upper middle to high end for most other brands except Omega and Zenith.

TropicConnie likes this.
  3. Hijak Oct 23, 2013

That looks sweet!:thumbsup: Can we get a closer shot of that cool dial?:cool:

4. Patrick Dixon How do these messages get here? Oct 23, 2013

Looks great. I think small watches are underrated.

5. Jdalt Oct 23, 2013

Thanks for the information and comments! Unfortunately, I have a feeling that my Longines purchase may not end here as I have been hearing the Automatics from that era are even better :)

Here is a close up of the dial taken by the seller, X350 XJR:

Longines Front View.JPG

Hijak and baunataler like this.
  6. Hijak Oct 23, 2013

This is so nice...a very cool dial and that case is so cool too!:cool: Congratulations on a great snag.:thumbsup:

7. Hijak Oct 23, 2013

I hear that I've got the Longines bug too!:thumbsup:

8. ulackfocus Oct 23, 2013

[​IMG]

9. Hijak Oct 23, 2013

Smithers, I think we've got them both...its time to start reeling them in!:cautious:

10. Jdalt Oct 23, 2013

I'm already hooked and reeled in ;)

Part of me would like more people to know about this hidden treasure, so to speak, of Longines, but then it wouldn't be "hidden"!

Thank again for your input. Now off to the FS section!

11. MKelley Oct 24, 2013

Jdalt, that's real beauty you have. My first 2 Longines are on their way (23z & 280). If I were a betting man and my addiction to watch collecting as a barometer (mostly Omegas), odds are Longines will also be my future target. ;)

12. ulackfocus Oct 24, 2013

I was just going to caption it "Excellent!" but your's sums it up okay too.

Hijak likes this.
  13. Jdalt Oct 25, 2013

I'm sure most, if not all, of you who replied are aware of this website cataloging all mechanical movements but thought I'd share the 23z movement with you all anyway:
    http://www.ranfft.de/cgi-bin/bidfun-db.cgi?10&ranfft&0&2uswk&Longines_23Z

I thought it was interesting that there is a European and USA version. Not sure which is better but they both look cool - check out the overlapping swirls which, I believe, are only on the very high end of luxury watches today.

What other options are there for an inhouse movement of this caliber, Swiss made, solid gold watch for less than $800.00? That's a rhetorical question but I'd be interested to know your opinions. I really like the vintage Omega Seamasters of the same era but the price point is substantially higher (although I will eventually have to have one :)). I guess my point is dollar for dollar, vintage Longines appears to beat them all!

14. Hijak Oct 25, 2013

Very cool all that detail that most wont see but you know its there:thumbsup: . Love the avatar Jdalt!

15. Jdalt Oct 25, 2013

Thanks Hijak - my most favorite in my watch collection! Made by my 4 year old daughter :)

Hijak likes this.
  16. Dablitzer Oct 25, 2013

Great score! Love that dial! ::love::

17. Jdalt Dec 23, 2013

I just wanted to send this quick bit of info. About 1 week ago, I emailed Longines with the standard questions (e.g., date of invoice, how much, etc). I got a very quick reply:

"Thank you for your email and interest in Longines watches.
    Following your request, we have the pleasure to give you the information found in our old hand-written registers : at the origin, the serial number 9'121'427 identifies a Longines manually wound mechanical movement, caliber 23Z.
    It has been invoiced to Longines-Wittnauer, Longines’ branch in the U.S.A., on the 6th May 1954.
    It was aimed to be fitted in a wristwatch, which case and bracelet were produced in the U.S.A under Longines license.
    Unfortunately, as we don’t have the Longines-Wittnauer archives, we cannot provide additional information about your watch and the dial.
    Hoping this information is convenient to you, we remain at your entire disposal for any further request.
    Best regards,"

So, not only am I very happy with the quality of this watch, but I am also happy with the Longines timely customer service (provided free of charge). I can't help but wonder if Omega or Rolex would do this?
    Cheers!

18. Tony C. Ωf Jury member Dec 23, 2013

The answer is, to my knowledge, a resounding no. Longines customer service relating to vintage archival information is, in my experience, clearly superior to every other major manufacturer.

Cheers,

Tony C.

19. ulackfocus Dec 23, 2013

Easy to answer that: no.

20. ThLam Jan 10, 2014

Beautiful!. Congrats