Forums Latest Members
  1. greasemonkey Aug 1, 2013

hi all,i have just this last couple of years got into collecting vintage gold watches.first a 1978 9ct garrard then came a 1958 18ct omega seamaster followed by a 1962 9ct omega geneve ,then a 9ct 1961 rotary.i decided I must have a longines.i love the classy simplicity of the dials.i have now bought a no name model made in 1973 with a 35.5mm 9ct case which does not look quite so lost on my 8"wrist.the gold tinted champagne dial has subseconds[sexy] it has the cal 6922 movement which I presume is an eta variant not an in house movement.it came with its original box and papers,the montal rolled gold bracelet is my addition and might not be to everyones taste but its a case of "me like,shiny".i know its not an exotic model but non the less I am very pleased with it and have had it serviced and am going to give it some wrist time.will attempt to post some photo,s the quality of which I will apologise for in advance,cheers all,greasemonkey http://i1278.photobucket.com/albums/y502/greasemonkey11/011_zpsade45a57.jpg http://i1278.photobucket.com/albums/y502/greasemonkey11/014_zps99c52438.jpg

2. ulackfocus Aug 1, 2013

GM, I think that's a late 50's to late 60's watch. If you get some shots of the caliber and caseback I can tell you for sure. If I were to look at that without being told anything about it, I'd guess a caliber 370 made between 1960 and 1967.

3. greasemonkey Aug 1, 2013

hi dennis,how I got the age of the watch was from the hallmark letter in the caseback and i was fortunate enough to buy it from a relative of its late owner who according to the inscription on the back of the watch was presented it for 20yrs service with hawker siddeley in 1973.the movement no is 51284998 and it is a 6922 movement.sorry I should have put that in the first post..i agree it looks 50's or 60's its one of the things I like about the watch,i am not so keen on the straight lugs look although I have a couple of watches with them,cheers..greasemonkey

4. ulackfocus Aug 1, 2013

Well, since it's a UK case (will probably say Baume inside) it's very possible that it is a few years newer than it's style suggests. We've seen A.L. Dennison UK Constellation dog leg lug cases past their known Swiss manufacturing dates too. Longines' serial numbers jumped to 50,000,000 in 1968 or 1969. I have a few pieces with similar serial numbers that are from 1973.

The 6922 is one of the last in-house Longines calibers from the 69xx series. If you pull the crown, the second hand should run until it stops at 12 for hacking purposes. Got a 69x2 in an Admiral. Decent movements considering they were built at a time that mechanicals were competing with cheaper quartz watches.

5. greasemonkey Aug 2, 2013

hi dennis,thanks for the info,nice to know its an in house movement.it does say Baume in the case.the crown is not signed so I am presuming this is a replacement..funnily enough I used to work for hawker siddeley many years ago but not for a sufficient length of time to get a watch!,cheers..greasemonkey