Forums Latest Members

My first Longines has arrived

1. ConElPueblo Apr 13, 2016

Finally got to dip my toes into the tantalising pool that's vintage Longines :D

DSC_0049.JPG
    Very happy to have taken ownership of this Conquest, reference 1570. I bought it online and had it shipped directly to my watchmaker in UK, as the British seller refused to ship overseas due to a previous scamming experience. While I waited for it to come back from the service (it was quite a way back in the queue and I got hit by the Easter holidays, too!), I wrote Longines to get some info:

How's that for service!! I'm really impressed by both speed and thoroughness, which is the complete opposite of an experience I've had with a French service center (my Torgoen) earlier this year.

As you can see, it has the caliber 633, which is Longines-speak for "ETA 2824", which I intially was a bit dissapointed to learn. The sales advert didn't disclose a movement number, and I actually didn't know that Longines wasn't inhouse at the time. I'm comfortable with the fact now, part due to the condition and final price for the watch, partly as the ETA 2824 is a fine movement.

Movement.JPG

The case had to be opened with superglue + nut, as it had gotten completely stuck...

The caseback is, unfortunately, inscribed. It was given as an anniversary gift (25 years) in 1979, which, interestingly, means that it had been lanquishing for three years before getting sold! I bet the quartz crisis hit these hard... Luckily, the inscription isn't done amateurishly.

Back.JPG

The condition is pretty much flawless. It looks to have been used only a few times, as the strap isn't overly worn, and there are no scratches to be found on the case. It very sharp!

DSC_0015.JPG

DSC_0027.JPG

Apart from the strap + buckle, the case and booklet was included as well. Even though there is no bill of sale, I'll still label this as a full set, as a receipt would be out of place in a gift watch ;)

DSC_0013.JPG

The yellow insert has given the watch the moniker "The Curry Watch" in the ConElPueblo household, as I have been pestering my girlfriend with the few photos of it I had until now.

I think the look is great. This case shape isn't 70's modern, neither is it old fashioned. At 35mm it's a good size for a dress watch, and wouldn't look good any larger, IMO. The brushing and polishing on the case make for an interesting shape and I am a fan :)
    The colour is somewhat darker than I'm used to from other gold plated watches, and was originally listed as being rose gold. I didn't believe that, however, and wasn't surprised at seeing the yellow gold case.

DSC_0029.JPG

Overall, I have to say I'm looking forward to spending some time with this (after a strap change...) and am rather pleased with my first Longines purchase. Next up must be a model with a Longines caliber.

One thing that amuses me about the watch is the ETA 2824 - I actually have another watch with something similar... But the similarities end there :D

Out of the box.JPG

My 43mm modern flieger Torgoen T83 with a black PVD case has a Valanvron 24 movement, which is an ETA 2824 clone. A completely different kettle of fish!

aap, Andy K, GregH and 11 others like this.
  2. sky21 Apr 13, 2016

A very nice review! Great condition and a nice one owner history, great purchase!

3. West Slope Apr 13, 2016

Awesome watch.....I need a longines before to long, maybe I should just call dibs now :).

4. Jonatan Apr 13, 2016

Nice write up and a good looking watch. Post like these make me want to jump the fence!

5. ConElPueblo Apr 13, 2016

One of my most favourite parts of the whole thing? I bought it from a relative of the original receipient...

His nephew :D

Willem023, ahartfie and West Slope like this.
  6. VanDamme NOT "The Muscles from Brussels" Apr 13, 2016

Cool catch. It really is in great nic. I also recently landed my first Longines and will post pictures soon as I'm picking it up this weekend:D

ConElPueblo likes this.
  7. VanDamme NOT "The Muscles from Brussels" Apr 13, 2016

The curry colour almost matches your avatar's hair...

Now if that was a selfie, it would be a match made in heaven:whistling:

8. Jones in LA Isofrane hoarder. Apr 13, 2016

One of the prettiest uncle watches I've seen! Congratulatons!

[you realize now that your postman will always think of you as 'that crazy dude on a bicycle']

9. Garv no longer a member of the terminally hip Apr 13, 2016

Great looking watch. Nice score!

10. noelekal Home For Wayward Watches Apr 13, 2016

Great thread with photos! Thanks for posting it.

Love Longines watches and your new one's a nice size and with an attractive dial.

11. Tony C. Ωf Jury member Apr 13, 2016

Very nice looking watch! Well done.

12. ossfm Apr 13, 2016

I'm continually amazed to see the watches you guys haul in. That is a really fine piece. It has a good story, what with you buying from the recipient's relative. That's excellent. It does appear to hardly have been worn. Good job.

I'm digging the engravings in general. I think it is cool to have a watch that has the engraving. It alludes to a deeper story. I'm thinking of using that as a theme for collecting. Either engravings or medallions, a la Constellation and King Seiko and what others I can find. I've seen some Longines Conquests, I believe, with a green fish on the back in what looks like enamel.

A while back I saw a King Seiko with japanese engraving about 40 years of service at Mitsubishi. Neat.

13. wx_073 Apr 13, 2016

Thanks for pics, and of course outstanding watch! Congrats!

14. ConElPueblo Apr 13, 2016

I can see the attraction if it's "for 20 years with the Secret Service" or "To Jack, with love, from Marilyn" or such, but reality is that inscriptions often look as if they were stenciled by a drunk 7-year old. Whilst riding a bike. I believe that this piece would have had the enameled fish on the case back, hadn't it been for the inscription.

Compared to his ride, I was living the dream :D

[​IMG]

15. ahartfie The black sheep in the Spee-ee-eee-eedmaster flock Apr 13, 2016

Beautiful watch. Wear it in good health!

Thanks to you fine folks here, I discovered the Conquests with the sparkly triangular-faceted ring around the dial. I might have to procure one of those at some point.

16. blacksharpie Apr 13, 2016

That is a seriously nice looking watch.

17. ulackfocus Apr 13, 2016

Wow, that's crisp! It reminds me a LOT of the Seamaster Sparkles 168.032 and 166.023 (can't remember the date-only references off hand).

18. dx009 Apr 14, 2016

Couldn't have said it better.

19. ConElPueblo Apr 18, 2016

As mentioned in my first post, the movement is pretty much the same as the one in my Torgoen T81 (for sale here) and is pretty much a ETA 2824. Well, I thought I'd open up the two and take a few photos. The level of finishing is, as expected, far from each other. The Longines has the more decorated movement with gold-filled script and different levels of polishing - a quite attractive piece. The Torgoens Valavron 24 is far more business-like and quite industrial, which IMO is pretty fitting for a 43mm, PVD'ed tool watch. Not as good looking, but not out of place either.

2.JPG

2 (2).JPG

Both watches are extremely accurate and having quick-set date is great!

5.JPG

3.JPG

4.JPG

7.JPG

ahartfie likes this.