Forums Latest Members
  1. Omegafanman Jun 6, 2020

So I just got my first new 'old' Accutron which has stayed in the Forum family (thanks @pnwyankee for selling this).
    Not sure why I was drawn to this watch- but very happy with my purchase / first wrist time today. Also loving the JB Champion bracelet. I am a hummer convert.

If anyone has more info on this style / date of watch please let me know or link to past posts. I am interested to learn more.

Also looking to the future any recommendations for service and repair work in the UK (I plan to hang onto this one). How often do they need a service?

Accutron ref. 2527 10k GF c.1970 (214) on JB Champion mesh bracelet

04 - Copy small.jpg 03asmall.jpg 05 - Copy small.jpg 01 - Copy.jpg 02 - Copysmall.jpg 06 - Copy.jpg Bulova Accutron 1970.jpg
  2. Canuck Jun 6, 2020

On the case back, you will likely find a two digit alpha-numeric code beginning with an N, and a single number such as a 5. The N stands for the 1960s, and the 5 is the year of manufacture. I have 26 Accutrons, and like them, a lot. As to service in the UK? I know there are several who service them, but someone else will have to give you the names.

connieseamaster and Omegafanman like this.
  3. DaveK Yoda of Yodelers Jun 6, 2020

Omegafanman likes this.
  4. DaveK Yoda of Yodelers Jun 6, 2020

Omegafanman likes this.
  5. AAAKK First listing in the ΩF B2B phone book Jun 6, 2020

I believe the N is for 70's, M is for 60's

6. SpeedyPhill Founder Of Aussie Cricket Blog Mark Waugh Universe Jun 6, 2020

Gold version watch & JB Champion ::confused2::

Omegafanman likes this.
  7. Walrus Jun 6, 2020

That is in very nice condition. I almost picked one up but the guy wouldn’t give me a shot of the open back. I don’t think it was anything nefarious he just never had it opened. I have read canucks thread on these and it makes me both want want and want to stay away from them.

8. SkunkPrince Jun 6, 2020

There are some who will say "never", and I laugh at them. But you can't really get parts for these any more so 3 to 5 years is probably a decent number. Closer to 3 unless you're going to hack it when you're not wearing it.

Omegafanman likes this.
  9. Omegafanman Jun 7, 2020

Thanks for all the replies. How long do the batteries tend to last in these?

10. DaveK Yoda of Yodelers Jun 7, 2020

Accutrons rarely need a service, @Canuck can provide more info as his time allows, he is really knowledgeable with these. The batteries last about a year

Omegafanman likes this.
  11. Canuck Jun 7, 2020

When someone finds his Accutron no longer telling time, often the first thing that comes to mind is that the battery is dead. Sometimes yes, and sometimes no. The first thing you need to do is to go to a quiet room and put the watch to your ear, AND plug your other ear so that you are able to hear. I am constantly astonished at the number of people who are unable to hear a running Accutron! This is often because they have NO idea what a tuning fork watch sounds like. When they don’t hear an Accutron ticking like a mechanical watch ticks, they hear nothing. If the hands have stopped but you can hear the tuning fork, the battery is not dead.

The battery in an Accutron will usually last a year or so. Quartz watches are more efficient in that cells may last 3 years or more.

As to servicing an Accutron? @DaveK can give you some insight into that. Most repair shops are hopeless when an Accutron needs service. My attitude is to let the Accutron tell you when attention is necessary by diminished performance. Then, try to find someone who is knowledgeable to service it for you.

As to “hacking” the watch when you are not using it? If you have any Accutron other than an Accutron model 218F (and how would you know?), all that hacking does is to lift the pawl jewel away from the index wheel, and the hands stop. The watch continues to run! Many of the earliest non-calendar, back set 214 models are this way. The later non-calendar, back set 214 models hack differently. In the hand setting mode, a heavy lever butts up against the tuning fork, and vibration ceases. @DaveK can tell you all about that! Hacking one of these later 214 models accomplishes nothing! The tuning for quits, but the circuitry is still operating. The 218F is a later calendar model in which there is a sort of switch that opens the circuit during hand setting.

On 95% of Accutrons, the only way to stop the watch completely is to remove the battery.

Edited Jun 7, 2020
    Omegafanman and DaveK like this.
  12. SkunkPrince Jun 7, 2020

I’m confused. Don’t the pivots get dirty, dry, and wear just like any other watch?

13. Canuck Jun 7, 2020

I have serviced Accutrons for close to 60 years. I have never run into scored pivots in any Accutron I have ever serviced. The sorts of problems that might require that an Accutron be serviced include:

- Damage resulting from accidents.
    - Leaking cases, crown, crystals, gaskets, etc. Rust!
    - Leaking cells.
    - Circuit problems.
    - Worn out index wheels.
    - Seized minute pinion assemblies on 218 models.
    - Slipping hour wheels on 218 models.

Naturally, a thorough service would be required to attend to any of the above. But if you are not certain about your Accutron, first, find someone competent to service it, and second, get their opinion on the need for routine servicing. Good luck finding the right person to advise.

14. SkunkPrince Jun 7, 2020

I am fortunate in that my local watchmaker is also somewhat of a collector and an enthusiast. I had a 218D Accutron that I had "serviced" for $200+ and all that happened was the guy adjusted the escapement for a moden battery. It was FILTHY inside! So while it was certainly running OK, I had it serviced anyways.

But I take your point.

15. Timecollector Jun 10, 2020

I own the very same Accutron. The nice thing about this watch is it actually existed like that from the factory with a Model number and Style number. The only thing not matching is the leather strap but we all know those leather straps wear out over time so we often see miss-matched straps/bracelets on watches.

Facts:
    OP watch is indeed a case # 2527
    Style # is: 24048-1y
    And it's an Accutron Model 425. (See Sales Rep reference pic below).

[​IMG]

My Accutron Model 425

[​IMG]

My 425 showing the movement date (M9) and the case number 2527 dated (2-9) Feb/1969. This watch has seen very little wrist time since purchased new.

[​IMG]

Edited Jun 10, 2020
    Omegafanman likes this.
  16. DaveK Yoda of Yodelers Jun 10, 2020

That is fresh looking!

Timecollector likes this.
  17. killer67 Jun 11, 2020

JB Champion makes the watch very nice

Omegafanman likes this.
  18. Aussie Jim Jun 11, 2020

19. Widows Son Jun 11, 2020

Hi!!! I have a beautiful gold Masonic dialed Accutron. The back says M7, s/n E30850. Any idea when it was manufactured??? Thx!!?

20. TexOmega Jun 11, 2020

M7= 1967

DaveK likes this.