Forums Latest Members
  1. Jollyswagman83 Apr 23, 2015

Hi everyone.

First time poster here so my apologies if I am going over old ground. I was helping my dad clear out some old boxes and we found a battered little red box with his Omega Flightmaster resting in it. To be fair it looks like it has had much better days as you can tell from the photos. I believe it is a 910 model.

All three crowns still work well which I half expected them not to. The bracelet has become detached but is a 155 bracelet.

I am based in the UK and would welcome any advice on how and where to get this restored and even it is worth doing?

Thank you all so much in advanced.

20150423_113443.jpg 20150423_113540.jpg 20150423_113523.jpg 20150423_113459.jpg
    Varasc and noelekal like this.
  2. lwong Apr 23, 2015

lenny and Jollyswagman83 like this.
  3. Gaz6263 Apr 23, 2015

Always worth saving an early flightmaster, as above ask to speak to Simon( the service manager).

Jollyswagman83 likes this.
  4. lwong Apr 23, 2015

And not Chris. Or Mark. Because they don't exist.

(Sorry, that's a joke absent of context - couldn't help myself.)

5. Jollyswagman83 Apr 23, 2015

Thanks guys. I think this may be the start of an expensive hobby.

6. Jollyswagman83 Apr 23, 2015

Oh and if anybody has a photo of restored ones could they please share

7. Stewart H Honorary NJ Resident Apr 23, 2015

Before you speak to STS, listen to what people here have to say regarding the level of restoration. They could make it look like new but this would be at the expense of the parts that make it original. To maintain its value, you need just a sympathetic refreshment.

If it was mine, I'd go for a movement overhaul, fix the bracelet and perhaps have the case refinished to original spec. Also a new crystal if it cannot have any scratches polished out. I would forego any waterproof testing because they will replace the crown and pushers as a matter of course if they are to get it to seal. Lastly keep any returned parts safe because you can never un-throw them.

timeismoney, TNTwatch, ChrisN and 2 others like this.
  8. lenny Apr 23, 2015

For your purposes, STS sounds best. The hands and dial look pretty good, though I cannot tell if there is some fogging under the crystal.

Do you think your father would want to wear it again?

9. Jollyswagman83 Apr 23, 2015

Yes I think he would wear it as oppose to just keep it as an investment. Luckily my wrist is the same size so I am sure I'll wear it too ;)

10. lenny Apr 23, 2015

That would be great. I've tried giving watches to my father before, but he simply has no interest in (mechanical) watches. He just plugs along with his solar powered Citizen.

11. pascs Apr 23, 2015

Its a great find. I have a big soft spot for the early flightmaster, 145.013

I think the level of restoration depends on what you / your father want the watch to look like. Do you intend to wear it regularly and as such it should be 100% waterproof or do you want to keep it with its worn and vintage look?

The dial looks great and the hands might need a slight clean / tidy up, although there any many vintage ones around if you just need one or two of the hands. New hands have very bright orange or yellow colour and dont always look right on a 145.013

For me I'd replace the crystal, all the crowns and pushers and have the movement serviced, also restore and fix the bracelet. Pressure test so that you can wear it everyday without worry. The next decision would be to restore the case or not, and that really depends if you want the vintage look or a much newer look. Any parts removed should be kept as they may have value if you decide to sell the watch in the future

TNTwatch likes this.
  12. Jollyswagman83 Apr 23, 2015

I think I would like it to look like new if I am honest. I know it certainly would be a talking point but my dad doesnt realise that can be done. He just thinks its broken and worthless now.
    Certainly would be worn and the last thing I would want to happen is for it get water damaged so will probably get it all done. I will certainly look to keep all the parts.
    I doubt I would ever look to sell it. One of a few things that a father can hand down to his son. I would look to give it to mine one day too

13. calalum Apr 23, 2015

Be careful in terms of what you have done and how much you spend if you care about the cost to value element. FMs don't have huge respect in the market yet in terms of prices. But enjoy the watch for sure.

14. pascs Apr 23, 2015

I would definitely not replace the dial but would have the hands freshen up. Along with a refinished case, replaced crowns and pushers, new crystal and gaskets and the movement serviced - I think you'd have a beautiful looking watch that will last you many many years to come but still have that classic vintage feel.

Its not going to be cheap though. Also you might consider Omega themselves, I think in their service price for the flightmaster, it includes a lot of the parts that you'd need replaced anyway. I would just be concerned they replaced the dial and I wouldnt want that.

15. marturx Apr 23, 2015

That is a really great looking Flightmaster!

You know what? If you want it to be an unique piece, ignore all recommendations above concerning case polishing, and exchange of/ touching up parts.

All that watchs needs is a supersonic bath of the case, and the bracelet too. It will also need a new crystal, and a new gasket underneath the crystal, because the present one has blead. Be very careful when you remove the old one, because it can destroy the printing on the inner rotating bezel.

The movement will need a service of course.

Whatever you do, don´t polish the case, and don´t exchange any parts if not absolutely necessary. Don´t touch the hands. If you stick to this, I´m pretty sure you have a GBP 2k watch, which will continue to raise in value in the future.

16. Jollyswagman83 Apr 23, 2015

Now I have a lot to think about...

Who is best to do what you have mentioned Marturx?

17. pascs Apr 23, 2015

18. marturx Apr 23, 2015

As I understand you´re in the UK? We have many members here from there. Some of them ought to chime in and give their recommendation. But STS is one option that has been discussed here several times.

If you do as little as possible with the watch, you save money in both ends, in the renovation process, and in keeping/ maintaining the value of the watch. If you want to sell it, do nothing to it, sell it as is. That will give you the most out of the sale.

Here´s mine. It looked like yours, when I found it

Flightmaster 910.jpg

Good luck!

noelekal and Jollyswagman83 like this.
  19. Gaz6263 Apr 23, 2015

As I said earlier, if you talk to Simon at STS he will listen to your instructions and can do as much( or as little) as you want.

20. Jollyswagman83 Apr 23, 2015

Just looking at your Flightmasters it is clear to see why it is such a lovely watch.

I spoke to Simon earlier today and he gave me a great run down on what they can do and not do depending on what I want to happen to the watch. He also was very knowledgeable about the 910 and it's history.