Forums Latest Members
  1. cpack Dec 22, 2013

My dad and I found his old watch in a box that he received when my father graduated from high school. I thought it was awesome and wanted to get it fixed up for myself as I don't have a nice watch and he gave it to me.

Based on the research I have done on this forum and google this is a Ref 145.014

I have not been using the watch because it has not been serviced for at least 20 years and i don't want to risk damaging it before getting it serviced.

3 Questions:

Does everything look original? Obviously I'm keeping the watch no matter what but its fun to learn these things and it has been exciting researching vintage omega's since my dad gave me this one!

Recommendations on getting it serviced?

My dad had the clasp replaced as the original broke, is it still possible to get a clasp to fit the original vintage band?

(Pictures)
    omega145.014 006.JPG
    omega145.014 012.JPG omega145.014 013.JPG omega145.014 007.JPG
    omega145.014 014.JPG
    omega145.014 022.JPG
    Thank you!!

Etp095, Varasc and stefan like this.
  2. JimInOz Melbourne Australia Dec 22, 2013

Very nice MK11. :thumbsup:

Obviously not a pristine collector grade watch, but you can see it's been well used, which is what it was made for.

It'll look great after a service, and I'd give it a new crystal too.

I might have a clasp somewhere, I'll have a look and let you know.

Cheers

Jim

3. rojas988 Dec 22, 2013

Nice watch! Service it and bring it back to life. It is also a watch with meaning. Congratulations!

SpikiSpikester and Varasc like this.
  4. SpikiSpikester @ ΩF Staff Member Dec 23, 2013

That's very nice. It looks all original & the case looks like it's never been polished - which is a very good thing. Your dad must have good taste, as this is a watch with a bit of a cult following and is definitely the version to have.

The crystal is a bit more work to replace on these than on most watches, but it'll look spiffy once that's done & the all the bits of degraded gasket have been taken off.

Mechanically, the most important thing is the one you mentioned - don't run it unitl it is serviced. It'll be dry as bones in there & you don't want to risk any damage in the movement.

Great discovery & gift from your dad :thumbsup:

JohnSteed likes this.
  5. Habitant Dec 23, 2013

As to getting it serviced, the general belief in these parts is that sending it to Omega themselves is a bad idea (believe it or not, they don't always do a great job, change parts indiscriminately and more...) and so most here seem to profess seeking out watchmakers with some experience of vintage Omegas and how to handle them sensitively. You don't say where you're based, but I'm sure that someone here can suggest a suitable expert if you let us know your basic location.
    Lovely find, treat it well!

6. cpack Dec 23, 2013

Yeah it needs a new crystal for sure but I'm going to just leave the scratches and such as it's fun to think of all the stuff my dad was up to when he was 18 wearing this watch.

That would be awesome if you had a clasp!! Thank you for looking.

Thank you!

Good advice, I will definitely not get it polished. I can't wait to see it with a new crystal. Thanks for kind words!

Thanks for the advice, I'm located in Orange County, California, U.S.. and would welcome some suggestions.

7. ulackfocus Dec 23, 2013

HEY! You deleted the assigned avatar! :eek: If you had replaced it with something of your own there'd be no issue, but having a blank one is what got you the company logo in the first place. It'll only get worse from here!

8. cpack Dec 23, 2013

Put in a new avatar. I had added one before and then removed it because it was not fitting correctly (to large).

9. ulackfocus Dec 23, 2013

:thumbsup:

10. ashleysteadman Dec 23, 2013

Nice find cpack - you've got yourself a very special watch there! If I'm not mistaken you've got the Mark II with the racing dial which in my opinion is the one to have. Get it serviced and you will have a cool watch with a great story!

11. JimInOz Melbourne Australia Dec 24, 2013

Found the clasp, but it's got a broken tab so doesn't lock properly.:(
    Can you take pics of all the parts of your clasp so I can see if I have another that will fit.
    I need to know the style/shape where it connects to the bracelet links.

12. cpack Dec 25, 2013

Here are some cell phone pics I took. It's attached to the inside of the clasp with a spring bar, and the outside attachment is just a cheesy nail/bar that goes across.

Thank you again for looking!

photo 2.JPG photo 1.JPG photo 3.JPG photo 4.JPG

13. lanierdams Dec 25, 2013

Very nice speed racing,the dial and hands are in amazing condition :thumbsup:
    The case need to be restored with the original sun polish.
    the most difficult think is to find the watchmaker Who can do this job.
    Omega do it on my Bullhead with a professionnal result

[​IMG]