Forums Latest Members
  1. kov Trüffelschwein. Apr 9, 2018

Seeing "my collection" threads here and there, I'd like to start documenting mine, too. I regret I haven't started earlier so I will try to dig into my old pictures and pick up from about two years ago and move on. :)

I've been collecting for a bit less than a decade now but joined this wonderful place only in summer 2014 (so happy I did, I've learned more than I could ever have imagined since then !). That time I wasn't using Instagram, wasn't sharing any pictures of my watches on Facebook or any other social network - hence wasn't taking pictures of my watches nor of my watchbox.

When I see how much my preferences and collecting strategy have changed over years I regret I didn't start taking pictures of the box at every change but yeah, who would have known where this story would go... At least, I am happy I have documented all the references and serial numbers I have owned so I can issue extracts of my own archives now :taunt:

The first watch box photograph I have found dates back to January 2016 :

Photo 25.01.16 16 33 38.jpg

At that very moment, I realized that my heart belongs to Omega Speedmasters and I decided to start converting everything outside Speedmasters into my beloved ones. Modern limited editions were affordable that time (compared to where they are now, two years later...) so I decided to focus on modern LEs and here's where I landed by the end of the summer 2016...

Photo 16.07.16 18 09 43.jpg

I think 50% of my acquisitions came from C24/ebay and the other half from OF. I've been lucky enough to get a full set Ultraman, a Gemini IV and the Apollo XIII from OF members.

The Telemeter -69er and the Ultraman woke up my interest into the vintage Speedmasters and another conversion phase was about to start :whipped:

To be continued. ::popcorn::

2. Taddyangle Convicted Invicta Wearer Apr 9, 2018

Nice collection. Looking forward to seeing the vintage side, and of course the coveted Speedmaster Decades Collection. :)

kov likes this.
  3. eugeneandresson 'I used a hammer, a chisel, and my fingers' Apr 9, 2018

I have a suspicion his box kicked all those spring-chickens out, made many babies, and let in a bunch of 'ol hens to roost ... :D

kov likes this.
  4. heccsat Apr 9, 2018

Nice collection and progress. My favorite is the Gallet chrono ::love::

kov likes this.
  5. Mr Blond Apr 9, 2018

Looks really good, can’t wait to see the rest, especially the Seamaster 300 :thumbsup:

6. ostneb Apr 9, 2018

Great watches, thanks for sharing!

kov likes this.
  7. kov Trüffelschwein. Apr 10, 2018

It was in an absolutely stunning condition and is gone to an OF member ;)

F964622D-1C83-44CB-B136-1DB8B2C63CE8.jpeg

Interesting that - but I have never had any Seamaster 300 I am afraid :whistling:

Als 27 and TimtimeIntl like this.
  8. GMTspeedmaster Feb 11, 2019

beautiful collection!

9. ext1 Feb 11, 2019

We gotta see your Flightmaster crew!! Your journey documentation ain't complete without those

10. wouter van wijk Feb 13, 2019

drool. racing japan (better with bracelet imho), ultraman, albino. +vote for the flight box

11. kov Trüffelschwein. Feb 13, 2019

Looks like I forgot to update this thread for a couple of years now ::shy::

From those box photographs, not many are still in the collection. The bicolore and the Carrera 16 :)

Photo 11.03.18 16 10 02.jpg

This was a partial shot of the Flightmaster crew. Missing the yellow-handed 145.013s.

I bought most of them in 2017, doing my research together with @igloe (who is a Flightmaster expert btw :thumbsup:), well before the Flightmaster book gets published.

Photo 11.03.18 16 11 01.jpg

After we Cross-check our collection and research against FMO, I realized that I was only wearing the 145.013s and sold a full set of 6 Flightmasters (1 of each reference and hands color) to a serious collector on the other side of the globe.

Now I have 1x orange handed 145.013 and one yellow handed 145.013 and that's enough for me :)

Edited Feb 13, 2019
    0uss, fastfras, aap and 3 others like this.
  12. jobaoneill Feb 13, 2019

Where are all the LCDs?!

13. orlis Feb 13, 2019

it seems a lot has changed - maybe you can update us and share your current collection and what was the reason to change it so significantly?

Taddyangle likes this.
  14. kov Trüffelschwein. Feb 13, 2019

The LCD's were a research chapter of my collecting journey in 2017. I got interested into the calibre 1620 and the watches featuring that calibre and my partial research thread was done here : Calibres 1620/1621 - A picture guide to the LCD Speedmaster variations

The most intriguing part of that research were the LCD Moonwatch-like Speedmasters and their "Alaska4 Prototypes". As I had an incredible chance to find own three of those Prototypes, and get three others for my research, I decided to make a full comparison of the regular production watch against the Prototypes and published my research here : Omega LCD Speedmaster - A collector's Guide

Photo 09.02.18 17 44 05.jpg

At the end of my research, I have traded/sold all of my Quartz watches as I realized that wasn't wearing them in rotation for extended periods and, most of the time, I had a huge stress about an eventual battery spill and irreversible damage. Risk management - they've all found new homes. :)

Indeed, I will keep updating this thread, but with a good year of delay. Not necessarily willing to share the current state of the collection, for obvious security reasons and also because it's constantly evolving. No one really needs to know exactly what others have. If you think you do, you can always ask, privately.

I hate static things. Watch hunting is the most exciting part for me. Once I get a watch, I wear it and enjoy it. Some are being enjoyed more than others. When I notice one watch I didn't pick up since months, it clearly means I won't miss it if it had to go.

Another point is the market. 5-6 years ago it was kind of OK to buy a 321 Speedmaster. Not saying it was cheap, but it was possible. Today, I can't simply keep buying watches - especially the ones I would like to wear - without letting something go, anymore. The budgets became ridiculous. So I am trading a lot with other collectors or selling what I don't wear to allow new incomings.

For me collecting is not necessarily keeping same things for ages and hoarding. It's more about exploring a world of limitless possibilities, enjoying them, meeting amazing people from all around the world and sharing. Collecting as I see it can only be something very dynamic. ;)

Edited Feb 13, 2019
  15. orlis Feb 13, 2019

very well written. of course I understand you may not want to share your full collection, i'm asking just out of curiosity, nothing else. I guess we will have a chance to chat soon in person so prepare for more questions :p

kov likes this.
  16. nttisch23 Feb 13, 2019

Thanks for sharing! Cool box as well :thumbsup:

17. WatchShopping Feb 14, 2019

I love seeing the other people's watch collection grow & or change. Please update us again soon!

18. GMTspeedmaster Feb 17, 2019

beautiful collection

19. p51p28 Mar 20, 2019

In the last 2 weeks or so, I've been deeply interested Omegas. There are two that I want. One vintage Speedmaster and one Flightmaster. What Flightmaster do you prefer? I really like the yellow handed ones. Thanks a lot for your thoughts!.

20. pweingarten Mar 20, 2019

The Flightmaster 911, the one with the green subdial at the 9, is one of my favorites. Have had it and, sadly, sold it, many times!