Forums Latest Members
  1. Jetguy87 Jul 25, 2020

Having recently made the decision to part ways with the watch that got me into this whole collecting madness (for the reasons explained below), I thought I'd make a post to sum it up. I realize it's far too long, and may not be everyone's cup of tea. But, think of it as a journey, a love letter to this versatile, genre-defying, classic-looking watch. Hopefully, it might even be enjoyable or illustrative. Here goes...

I fell in love with the blue Aqua Terra almost a decade ago, in my mid-20s. As a Bond fan for over half my life, it first caught my eye on the silver screen in Skyfall, and I remember researching it meticulously, learning for the first time about the co-axial escapement and the logic behind the beautiful teak dial (this, of course, after being obsessed with the Brosnan 2531.80 at a much younger and more unrealistic age for serious watch ownership).

There were a few catches, though. Having had worn a ~40mm Wenger quartz chronograph for the better part of the prior 10 years (a cherished high school graduation gift), the thick 38.5mm model felt at once both too small and too thick. The 41.5mm AT was too large. And, there was the whole question of price; I simply couldn't envision spending that much on a watch at that time.
    1.jpg
    (Photo not mine. All others are.)

So I bided my time, continuing to pine and research. One day, sometime in 2014, I discovered the previous model AT -- 2503.80, with its thinner profile, more agreeable 39.2mm case, and beautiful starburst blue dial. As well as relatively more affordable used market price. Problem was, there were none to try on. And, I found it exceedingly rare through the usual channels (forums). One day, though, I came upon a good-looking example on eBay. Full kit, and the right price, and I jumped on it.

My friends, I was ecstatic. When it landed on my wrist in June 2015, it seemed perfect. Everything about it was a whole new level. As I discovered, it came with the older 2500B movement, which, although some had raised questions about its reliability, beats at the smoother 28,800 bph for a co-axial movement. It also came with a beautiful, older dark lacquered wood box as opposed to the red pleather one. And, the real kicker: even though the eBay seller was from across the country, the warranty card was from a jeweler from the town next to my hometown.
    2.JPEG
    I wore that watch happily for four and a half years. It's accompanied me through a lot of good memories. I've fallen deep into this hobby and purchased many watches since. But my blue AT will always be there. Or so I thought. One day last fall, I came across its smaller brother -- the 36mm 2504.80, at a local jeweler with an impressive amount of NOS Omega models. I tried it on, and something about the fit just seemed so reasonable.
    3.JPEG
    From then on, every time I looked down at my 39mm, it would strike me as too big. Even though the lug-to-lug profile fit, something about the size of the dial and ratio of the case to my arm seemed a bit off. But it was a chameleon: from some angles too big, from others OK. I had always thought that a 36mm watch would be too small, but here I was. I would even end up buying -- and returning -- a 2504.80. I returned it for a few reasons, but above all, I simply could not bear to part with my long-time companion. I made a thread about it here last fall, trying to decide: https://omegaforums.net/threads/should-i-upgrade-downsize-my-aqua-terra.101718/
    4.jpg
    In the aftermath of that great debate, two things happened.

First, I caved and added an 8500-series Master Co-Axial Aqua Terra to my collection. It wasn't the Skyfall, but I got it with a brushed bracelet, and I wanted the anti-magnetic movement. All of a sudden, the 38.5 width didn't seem too small like it did all those years ago. It seemed closer to the more "reasonable" 36mm size of the 2504.80. At first, I thought having two of the same watch in my collection was ridiculous. But, I figured, there was enough different (size, dials, movement) between this and my 2503.80 to justify keeping both (oh, the mind of a WIS!). And, I was still holding onto my old friend. "This should keep me content," I thought.

7.JPG
    It didn't. I kept finding myself looking at pictures of the 2504.80, trying on my 2503.80 from different angles, staring at it and taking pictures. "Did it look too big?" "Just right?" "What if I moved the camera just so?" Aside from driving my wife crazy, I made Goldilocks and Hamlet together look like the epitome of decisive action. My heart led me to hold on to my 39mm, but over the course of almost a year later, it also kept me thinking about that 36mm.
    5.JPEG 6.JPEG
    So, second, I decided to take the plunge and buy a 2504.80. Again. I thought I would give it more time, weigh it more thoroughly against the 39mm, and pick one to keep, sentimentality be damned. But this time, I made sure that it would be as close as possible to my 39mm. After a few false starts, I eventually found one with the same 2500B movement, same beautiful lacquered wood box and all papers. The warranty card isn't from a jeweler one town over from my hometown, but let's face it, that would be impossible to replicate.
    8.JPEG
    I entertained the thought of keeping three Aqua Terras, holding onto my 39mm out of sentiment and loyalty. But even I recognize that that is definitely a step too far.
    IMG_0362.jpg
    And so we come to the end of the story. After just over five happy years, I'm finally parting ways with my 39mm 2503.80, and will be putting it up for sale soon. I hope the next owner will give it as good a home as I've tried to. And its spirit lives on in my 36mm 2504.80. I guess you could just say that tastes evolve over time. I'm lucky that there exists a smaller version of this classic watch. I'm a little scared that I'll miss my 39mm the moment I sell it, but feel that, if I've ended up back here, thinking about that 36mm, I'm probably (hopefully?) making the right choice.

And reader, if you've stuck with this thread until here -- thanks. I appreciate it, and offer some additional photos to close it out. All of these together, before one splits off into the sunset... (or would it be sunburst?)
    IMG_0369.jpg IMG_0373.jpg IMG_0374.jpg IMG_0375.jpg

Edited Jul 25, 2020
  2. jeelan Jul 27, 2020

Great write up! Thanks for sharing. I remember reading your post when you bought your 36mm and were debating which one to keep. I dont think you’re alone in buying a watch, selling it, then buying it again - plenty of ppl here can relate to that :) ours is an expensive hobby!!

I think you’ve ended up with a really good combination as the newer AT’s dont come in a 36mm format and the 39mm is similar in size (if not thickness) to the newer 38.5 anyway....

I had a similar dilemma as you with respect to AT2500 vs AT8500. Lucky for my, my wife took a liking to my AT2500 so i wasnt forced to sell....

Congrats again. Looking forward to some more pics....

Cheers
    Jeelan

69D3A624-3B79-4A0A-BA0E-FDFCD4C128D5.jpeg
    Jetguy87 likes this.
  3. EricCsN Jul 28, 2020

well written and a true - life real romantic story with your watch.

Jetguy87 and vintage hab like this.
  4. dinexus Jul 28, 2020

Very cool trio – lends credence to the concept that there's no perfect size watch – just what's perfect to you. And having owned the Skyfall twice before, I can indeed attest that it's about as good as it gets :)

Jetguy87 likes this.
  5. killer67 Jul 28, 2020

Thanks for sharing - if it’s any consolation the 36mm case proportions look better on you imo

OMEGAWD2020 and Jetguy87 like this.
  6. Madjam1966 Jul 28, 2020

Great story and great watches. I too am a big Bond fan (I own a 2226.80.00 SMP LE) and it's been the watches seen/used throughout the series that sparked and maintained my interest in watches.

I also feel reassured that having read your write up I'm glad there are others as equally fascinated and exhaustive about research!

Thanks again for sharing.

Jetguy87 likes this.
  7. nzshadow Stowaway Jul 28, 2020

I love it. I can absolutely relate. Scarily so in fact.

I have spent hours pouring over photos of the exact three watches you have (plus the Skyfall) I love the Skyfall but it is beyond my reach right now, & in my eyes, there is something more romantic about a 2nd hand 2903.80 anyway (Back off man, I'm a scientist). And 39 is my sweet spot because the old eyes just ain't what they once were so the 2504.80 is out (even though I love the proportions).

Having no access to anywhere where I can try one on (Living in a small town, Covid border closures etc) All my 'research' (obsessive/manic rabbit hole decent), is online where I can pour over the minutiae of date wheel colours, font sizes, and various other minuscule differentiating factors that are of obvious utmost importance.

I recently bought a Tissot Gentleman to partially satiate my cravings & while it is a lovely entree, I am left wanting for the main course.

Jetguy87, maine-iac1 and jeelan like this.
  8. maine-iac1 Jul 28, 2020

The 36mm is indeed a great size, and @Jetguy87 is rocking it. I also can relate to @nzshadow on the Gentleman. I thought the Tissot Gentleman was the ticket for a do-it-all watch, and my local watchmaker, from Switzerland, was a big promoter of Tissot before he passed away. But the Tissot wore a bit large on me. I would've taken the plunge if it had been offered in a smaller size. I believe it's 39mm or 40mm

Jetguy87 likes this.
  9. Jetguy87 Jul 28, 2020

Thanks all for the kind words! Always nice to get some moral support :)

10. Jetguy87 Aug 1, 2020

And so, a week after I posted this thread, and less than a day after I put it up on a sale forum, my companion 2503.80 is off to its new home. Thanks all for indulging me in my tale!

11. maine-iac1 Aug 3, 2020

Wow you really did it. It's tough parting with old pal like the 39!

12. Jetguy87 Aug 3, 2020

It sure is. But if anything, it was the result of a process that started almost a year ago -- last fall, when I discovered the 36 and started contemplating getting rid of my 39. So you could say that I've been processing it over that period of time, and was finally ready to let go after all of that consternation!

13. Taddyangle Convicted Invicta Wearer Aug 3, 2020

Nice. The 36 looks quite well on your wrist.

Jetguy87 likes this.