my aunt has a Broad Arrow Speedy, help needed

Here's a story: while family was in-town visiting, my aunt learns I like vintage watches and explains she's been unable to get her grandfather's old Omega serviced even though she's tried. I thought that was odd and ask what model it is and, casually, she explains it's a Speedmaster from the late 1950s. Hearing this and seeing a photo was like Pulp Fiction when Vincent opens the briefcase.

People at the shop she took it to declined to work on it. They sent it to Omega, which also declined to work on it and she's unsure what to do next, as am I. Her goal is to get it working again so she can pass it down to my cousin. It's missing a bezel, and I'm unsure if the crown or other parts are original. The dial is heavily damaged and I'm curious what can be done to protect it from further degradation.

Any advice on how to properly preserve the watch or recommendations on watchmakers who could potentially restore it would be appreciated. She has a sense for the expense involved in a restoration, and also in potentially sourcing a bezel or other parts. Again, the goal is to get it working so it can be properly preserved and passed-down to her son. A photo of the receipt listing ref number and caliber is at the bottom, and I'm unsure if it's strange that they list "NA" for the serial number.

I'm also curious if there is a way to determine from these photos what type of 2915 it is, she thinks he purchased it in 1958 we don't know for sure and don't have additional documentation. Any guidance would be helpful since this is an entirely different planet from the watches I'm usually looking at.

Like 11
Hi @goudaville, heck of a family heirloom your aunt has there! Best of luck to her getting this one back in working order. If you post your general location it will be helpful for other members to give you a few recommendations. I'd also recommend revising the post title to include "2915" in the title as those familiar with these will be more likely to see the thread. IIRC "Broad Arrow " among the conversations I have seen here typically refer to the early 2000s reissue "Broad Arrow" reference that was a modern asymmetrical case reissue paying homage to the original 2915.

I'm not an expert on these so I'll defer to others on any originality questions you have. That said, from the limited knowledge I have on 2915 Speedmasters, the crown is definitely a non-matching aftermarket crown. And as you mentioned, finding original / correct replacement parts for this model may also be very expensive.

Like 3
Thank you! Appreciate it. And understood on the crown and expense involved.
My aunt is in Orange County, California, I'm in NYC.

Like 1
Thank you! Appreciate it. And understood on the crown and expense involved.
My aunt is in Orange County, California, I'm in NYC.

There's information from the inside. A watchmaker can take the back off and see two numbers, the inside caseback identifies the reference and the serial number on the movement can help pin down the years it was produced.
1000013274.jpg 1000013275.jpg

This appears to be a 2915-1 or 2915-2, which are the first two Speedmasters.
1000013277.jpg

The 'E' in Omega has a long middle stroke.

There is a narrow gap between the Omega symbol and the word Omega.

The minutes counter has short main markers.

The 'p' in Speedmaster is shorter than later versions.

( a so-called 'A1' dial type.)

You're on the right track. I am sure others will advise on how to preserve it.

There will likely be two thoughts depending on what you want to do. If you want to sell it, don't do anything to it. If you (your Aunt) want to keep it, as you noted, there are watchmakers who can do that correctly. Nesbitts in Seattle might, LA Watchworks might, but I don't have personal experience with them.

If @Archer has the time and inclination, he might tackle this. That's for him to say.

I'm sure you'll get good advice from others.
Edited:

Like 8
There's information from the inside. A watchmaker can take the back off and see two numbers, the inside caseback identifies the reference and the serial number on the movement can help pin down the years it was produced.
1000013274.jpg 1000013275.jpg

This appears to be a 2915-1 or 2915-2, which are the first two Speedmasters.
1000013277.jpg

The 'E' in Omega has a long middle stroke.

There is a narrow gap between the Omega symbol and the word Omega.

The minutes counter has short main markers.

The 'p' in Speedmaster is shorter than later versions.

( a so-called 'A1' dial type.)

You're on the right track. I am sure others will advise on how to preserve it.

There will likely be two thoughts depending on what you want to do. If you want to sell it, don't do anything to it. If you (your Aunt) want to keep it, as you noted, there are watchmakers who can do that correctly. Nesbitts in Seattle might, LA Watchworks might, but I don't have personal experience with them.

If @Archer has the time and inclination, he might tackle this. That's for him to say.

I'm sure you'll get good advice from others.
Appreciate the information. I'm doing this by text and email so the only thing I've stressed is making sure it's out of direct light, and a space that's free from humidity. I've read wrapping it in paper towels and putting it in a bag with a silica packet could help, but would welcome any suggestions.

Like 1
Appreciate the information. I'm doing this by text and email so the only thing I've stressed is making sure it's out of direct light, and a space that's free from humidity. I've read wrapping it in paper towels and putting it in a bag with a silica packet could help, but would welcome any suggestions.

Wait for @Spacefruit to comment. He's in a different timezone. You could also personal message him. He probably has the most knowledge and experience with a watch like your aunt's.

Your aunt is fortunate Omega turned it down. It seemed like a logical place to look for help but they aren't always the best with older, vintage pieces.

Personally, I'd love to talk more about your watch as I also did a Vincent. But you need expert advice. The one thing is to make sure your aunt doesn't do anything until she hears from you. She shouldn't listen to well-meaning friends or acquaintances.

Like 6
I would not send this to Nesbitts. In my experience they are not willing to source parts other than what is available new and they will not install parts provided by the owner. They are great for modern Omegas by all accounts. I would certainly trust @Archer with this. Perhaps @Foo2rama can suggest someone. He is from Southern California and knows more than a thing or two about Speedmasters.
Edited:

Like 5
Wow. very interesting. worth waiting for any restoration update. The caseback could be 2915-1 since there is no seahorse and it's double bevel or edge. Big revelation should be from inside. Good luck.

Like 2
Interesting heirloom, but unfortunate that it has been so neglected and abused. And of course someone has already scavenged the bezel, which is virtually unobtainable.

Anyway, sorry if I missed it, but I didn't see what was wrong with the watch and what needs to be done. A good watchmaker could certainly service/repair the movement, straighten out the sweep hand, and get it running, if that's what she wants. Of course, the movement may need replacement parts, but the cost probably wouldn't be outrageous. Given the condition of the dial (and the watch overall), I don't really think it's worthwhile to attempt any cosmetic restoration. A crown can be found if she wants one that is period correct. I don't know what resources your aunt wants to invest into this, but the price of a period-correct bezel might be a bit of a shock for her.

Like 6
Interested to see what @Spacefruit has to say. IMO the value in this is to sell as is for as much as you can get for it. This seems the equivalent of finding a vintage Ferrari in a barn. The parts are probably out there waiting for this watch. I wonder if your e mail is already filling up.

Like 3
First thing I would to is to cover the hands and dial with an oversize plexi and some tape. Thanks for showing, I love these barn finds. It will never be a Safe Queen again, but a great "daily" rocker. As someone mentioned here: Find a good Vintage watchmaker to rescue this gem. Lets wait for William, sending the watch to GB is probably the best way (after it got a plexi somehow :D ).

Edit: Btw I hate these AI picture enhancer and sharpeners ;)

Like 5
Interesting heirloom, but unfortunate that it has been so neglected and abused. And of course someone has already scavenged the bezel, which is virtually unobtainable.

Anyway, sorry if I missed it, but I didn't see what was wrong with the watch and what needs to be done. A good watchmaker could certainly service/repair the movement, straighten out the sweep hand, and get it running, if that's what she wants. Of course, the movement may need replacement parts, but the cost probably wouldn't be outrageous. Given the condition of the dial (and the watch overall), I don't really think it's worthwhile to attempt any cosmetic restoration. A crown can be found if she wants one that is period correct. I don't know what resources your aunt wants to invest into this, but the price of a period-correct bezel might be a bit of a shock for her.
Yeah, the condition is a shame. I'm told it came to her without the bezel or a crystal. It's apparently been in a drawer or jewelry box like this for something like 30 years. She didn't know what she had until she brought it to a watch maker last year and was surprised by his reaction. My cousin (her son) has developed an interest in watches so decided to take this to a professional to see if it could be fixed where she learned the watch is what it is.

As for the bezel, and apologies because I'm sure this is sacrilegious, but could she get a bezel from a 3594.50? Or even if it's wrong, a black bezel from a later model? Her goal really is to get this in working order so it can live on my cousin's wrist some day.

Yeah, the condition is a shame. I'm told it came to her without the bezel or a crystal. It's apparently been in a drawer or jewelry box like this for something like 30 years. She didn't know what she had until she brought it to a watch maker last year and was surprised by his reaction. My cousin (her son) has developed an interest in watches so decided to take this to a professional to see if it could be fixed where she learned the watch is what it is.

As for the bezel, and apologies because I'm sure this is sacrilegious, but could she get a bezel from a 3594.50? Or even if it's wrong, a black bezel from a later model? Her goal really is to get this in working order so it can live on my cousin's wrist some day.

You might like the look of a replica bezel more. It'll blend in better, even though it won't be original. There are likely many other 2915 watches with replica bezels due to the original bezels having been lost or replaced or sold over the decades.

Wearing it every day (or often) will likely depend on the condition of the movement. Wearing an old, rare watch is similar to driving an old car or using any old machine. They will wear out and won't take as much abuse as modern items. You can of course use it and enjoy it, but her son might also enjoy getting his own modern broad arrow and wearing his great grandfather's watch on special occasions. It's a fantastic heirloom for certain.

Like 9
got it, ty. @pdxleaf @Dan S if you know any watchmakers in Southern California (Orange County) or know members from SoCal who might have suggestions on who she can take the watch to, please lmk. And thank you for all your feedback.

Like 1
@goudaville if you think of it later, we'd love to see how it turns out, even if it takes awhile. Best of luck.

Like 1
got it, ty. @pdxleaf @Dan S if you know any watchmakers in Southern California (Orange County) or know members from SoCal who might have suggestions on who she can take the watch to, please lmk. And thank you for all your feedback.

This is a very rare watch. In better condition it would be extremely valuable. In its current condition it still has considerable value. If you haven't done so already spend some time with this site operated by our own @Spacefruit:

https://speedmaster101.com/2915-2/

Given its rarity and the work it needs, you want a very knowledgeable watchmaker who is willing to take the time to source the correct parts etc. I have no experience with them, but LA Watchworks has been recommended by other members here. Whatever you do, proceed slowly and cautiously. Some things once done cannot be undone.

Like 7
Interested to see what @Spacefruit has to say. IMO the value in this is to sell as is for as much as you can get for it. This seems the equivalent of finding a vintage Ferrari in a barn. The parts are probably out there waiting for this watch. I wonder if your e mail is already filling up.
I agree with this ^^^^^

Would think LA Watchworks would be the place to take this watch in SoCal.

Unfortunately, the condition of the watch is extremely poor.
Regarding restoration work on the watch, it all depends on how much your aunt wants to invest in it and what level of restoration she is seeking to achieve.
If it is just to get the watch working again, adding a bezel (aftermarket), Omega crown (not period correct), and a crystal, you're probably looking at about $3,000 to $4,000.

A top-level restoration would include:

1. Repairing the chipped black paint on the dial.
  2. Restoring the chipped lume plot print (due to badly applied paint at some point).
  3. Reapplying lume on the dial.
  4. Stripping the badly applied white paint from the hour and minute hands, reapplying lume on the hands, and obtaining a correct chrono hand.
  5. Servicing the movement.
  6. Obtaining a period-correct crown.
  7. Obtaining a period-correct thin logo crystal.
  8. Adding an aftermarket bezel (as an original one is unobtainable and well into the mid-five figures if you were lucky enough to find one).
  9. *Optional: adding a period-correct 7077 bracelet and period-correct single-notch #6 end links.
This type of restoration plus the cost of parts could go into the five figures.

Or she could just sell this watch as is, get the few thousands that it's going to fetch, and buy your cousin the 60th Anniversary reissue with the proceeds.

Like 15
If this is confirmed to be among the first broad arrow speedmasters, it is worth restoring. Better if Omega SA would be interested to consider supplying for parts from the reissued 321 2020 moonwatch.

Like 2