Forums Latest Members

My AD Scratches My Brand New Omega

1. chriswulff Jul 24, 2020

Hi fellow Omega folks

I just bought a Omega Planet Ocean, the new model with white dial and orange bezel

After a week I discovered I tiny little hair or something on the dial, not noticeable directly with the eye
    unless you know it was there

Anyhow, I took it to my AD and they immediately recognize the issue and took it in for service.

When I brought it home i discovered that they did not manage to take the caseback off without making tiny scratches on the small "horns" on the caseback.

Now the AD tells me that every watch will have scratches over time, and yes I know that, but the scratches they have made will tell that the watch has been open, and that's my problem.
    I have been in contact with them face to face and mail with this issue

I was of course a little upset, as the watch have no scratches at all and I have worn it for 3 weeks straight, with all bumps and doors it meets.

What shall I expect to happen, I wrote and mail where I said - that I will pay a new backcase mounted by omega
    and they said come in we find a solution

My question actually is, is it totally no go that a AD should scratch a caseback in this way or what?
    If it is, what should I expect to get in compensation?

Best Regards
    Christian

Omega01.jpg Omega02.jpg
    david5807 likes this.
  2. BlackTalon This Space for Rent Jul 24, 2020

Any time the caseback is opened on a watch there is a potential for it to get scratched. In my opinion those marks are very minor, but that is just my opinion. You will often see where someone raises an issue about a very small dial blemish they would like addressed, and other recommend they live with it until it is eventually time for a service -- just to avoid this type of situation. Also, it may be harder to get an AD to agree to do anything vs if it had happened at a boutique. But that probably depends on your relationship with the AD.

For me, small marks like that are a non-issue. There will be much more noticeable blemishes -- on much more visible surfaces -- over the next few months if you wear it daily.

mrchen, GuiltunderGlass and Foo2rama like this.
  3. JPE.88305 Jul 24, 2020

can't say i would have even noticed...being on the wrist side...
    wear it around the house for a few days and you'll probably bump into something yourself and you can redirect the frustration inwards.

kkt, wolfe44, 89-0 and 1 other person like this.
  4. Martin_J_N Jul 24, 2020

I'm no expert in these matters and certainly no watchmaker but if the AD does this type of work in house then I would have expected the AD to be able to open the back without scratching it, they must have the correct tools if they do repairs in the store.

If it were me I would ask that the watch is replaced at the AD's expense or alternatively, sent to Omega to be refurbished and some compensation offered.

5. amcclell Jul 24, 2020

I think it would be very difficult for any service technician to open the watch with absolutely no marks on the caseback left as evidence that it had been opened. The ones on your watch are nothing to worry about in my opinion.

GuiltunderGlass likes this.
  6. WatchTimes Jul 24, 2020

Its not going to stay "mint" if you take it out of the safe and wear it...
    I would just say deal with it.
    Wouldn't bother me, the bolts on your tires likely have marks from when your tires were rotated.

7. NGO1 Jul 24, 2020

Do you own a car?
    You know where the AD is!!!

Screen Shot 2020-07-24 at 2.46.20 PM.png
    Fusion, MrJKLFoams and Magno16 like this.
  8. Walrus Jul 24, 2020

Any watchmaker care to comment? I’ve worked on machinery in the past where we were under orders to leave no tool marks. Then I’ve worked on stuff where it didn’t matter what you needed to do to open it. Never watches in my case but I would think, especially at an AD they could open this without leaving any traces. This is purely my assumption but I’d like to hear it. It seems like that is much to obvious tool marks left by what I think would be a pro for one opening.

SSMOKE likes this.
  9. Icnbne Jul 24, 2020

Id push for a new caseback. If theyre not omega authorized repair centre, there goes your warranty too btw

Poppydog likes this.
  10. Pazzo Jul 24, 2020

From what I can see, the tool used slipped probably because it wasn't properly engaged.

Press for a new case back if this bothers you.
    Mind you, watches are meant to be worn and enjoyed and so, knocks are bound to happen.

Just my 2 cents.

PATRICK JP and OmegaP99 like this.
  11. Evitzee Jul 24, 2020

There is always, ALWAYS, a potential negative outcome anytime you send a watch in for an intervention, no matter how simple it seems. The piece of flotsam on the dial was not 'noticeable directly with the eye' which means it wasn't something that would have failed Omega's QC. As much as we expect perfection with a new watch we need to stop viewing them with a loupe, and companies need to stop providing loupes in the package. It only sets up the potential for things like this. Unless something is really out of whack or isn't working properly don't obsess over the little things. Wear it and enjoy it.

12. amcclell Jul 24, 2020

I can empathize but now that I have worn my 2254.50 for a dozen years, had it serviced and accumulated 18 additional watches, I am a lot more forgiving about the scratches, flea bites and signs of use. If you want to keep it just like new, leave it in the box, don't touch it and don't ever wear it.

Consider the marks in the same light as the first scratch on a brand new car. Don't try to have the caseback replaced as it will no longer be all original.

13. Icnbne Jul 24, 2020

If the dealership scratched my wheels on a brand new car, id expect them to AT LEAST Get it professionally repaired, and at most exhange it to a brand new wheel

obviously, a new watch is an overreaction, but a new case back doea not seem unreasonable to me

greyfox422, detroitMD and OmegaP99 like this.
  14. wsfarrell Jul 24, 2020

Proper use of the correct case opener should not have left marks. They owe you a new caseback.

15. OmegaP99 Jul 24, 2020

I wouldn't be bother personally, but this statement from them is condescending and nonsense. The car example rings true here too, would you allow a dealership to say, "All cars get scratched over time, no big deal!" Well it's not up to them to decide what's acceptable to you. Yes, they did make a mistake because the tool could only do that if it wasn't totally seated, meaning an inattentive watchmaker. You said you already offered to pay for a new caseback? I think they should foot the bill, and no a polish isn't the same thing.

There are plastic case openers that wouldn't do this, but that's beside the point.

I would say it will be better to learn to live with scratches on a watch you actually wear, but still, this is your expensive watch and the "pros" made a mistake that they need to correct.

Edited Jul 24, 2020
    elTango, michael22 and marco like this.
  16. JimInOz Melbourne Australia Jul 24, 2020

What he ^ said.

If the correct case tool is used properly by a competent technician there is no possibility of marking the caseback.

Tekashi_145.022, PATRICK JP and pascs like this.
  17. TechFounder Jul 24, 2020

I would ask them to replace the caseback. Problem solved. The old, "you break it, you bought it" should apply to them as well. Only someone who has little experience would damage the case like that when they have the correct tool. So, why would they either have someone with little experience doing the work or not have the correct tool to do the work? Either instance is unacceptable.

marco likes this.
  18. david5807 Jul 25, 2020

Is there a "best" Omega service center? I know some Rolex service center locations are ones that must be avoided and others that are fantastic.

19. eldiano84 Jul 25, 2020

Offf I just had my brand new omega worked on for some minor tweaks because it was running way too fast, and i Just checked my case back and noticed no scratches, I would raise hell on it, since it sounds like they are just telling you stuff happens deal with it, it’s like a getting a scratch on your car that was worked on by a mechanics shop when you know it was not there...

omegawatchlover and thelinendial like this.
  20. befobe Jul 25, 2020

I suppose that a specific tool exists to open this specific caseback. The AD just don't have it, right?
    I would be a little bit angry too...