My 145.022 isn't ticking properly. What's the issue and how do I go about getting it fixed?

Hi all,

I bought a mid-1970's 145.022 in December of 2019 from a very reputable dealer on the forums. It's been a great watch. However, for the past couple of months, it's had issues with winding down. I always wind it fully every morning, meaning it should continue to accurately tell the time for at least 48 hours. However, I started noticing that when I checked on it each morning, the time was off my a few hours and the the watch wasn't ticking anymore, indicating that it had stopped ticking in the middle of the night. I've been busy over the past few weeks, so I decided to just let it be for now and stopped winding or wearing the watch. However, I noticed last when I picked it up that it started to tick again, but stopped after about 20 minutes. It seems like something is almost jammed within the watch that's preventing it from winding all the way down after I wind it up. Does anyone know what the problem could be or how to get it fixed?

I have yet to get the watch serviced, but I think it might be time to do so. My only worries are that 1) I give it to disreputable watchmaker who damages my watch or 2) I give it to a watchmaker who, instead of just cleaning my watch and making sure everything is working well, also replaces everything that is out of date on the watch, since I know that's what will happen if I send it in to Omega. Thanks in advance for any advice.

It's impossible to diagnose the problem precisely from afar. It could be simply that it needs servicing, or possibly a mainspring issue. Just do your research and find a good watchmaker who understands your desires. Communicate clearly. Personally, I feel better working with the actual individual who will be working on my watch, than trying to communicate indirectly, which is what happens when you take it or send it to a large operation, where you communicate with a receptionist or salesperson.

It's impossible to diagnose the problem precisely from afar. It could be simply that it needs servicing, or possibly a mainspring issue. Just do your research and find a good watchmaker who understands your desires. Communicate clearly. Personally, I feel better working with the actual individual who will be working on my watch, than trying to communicate indirectly, which is what happens when you take it or send it to a large operation, where you communicate with a receptionist or salesperson.

Thanks for that advice. Out of curiosity, could you please let me know if I should go to an Omega Certified watchmaker? I'm a bit confused because I know you should never send a vintage watch to Omega or Rolex directly because they will replace all the parts of a watch that give it value (hands, dial, etc.) even if they don't need to be repaired/serviced. I want to make sure I go to a qualified watchmaker without going to one that will be obligated to replace things on the watch.

Thanks for that advice. Out of curiosity, could you please let me know if I should go to an Omega Certified watchmaker? I'm a bit confused because I know you should never send a vintage watch to Omega or Rolex directly because they will replace all the parts of a watch that give it value (hands, dial, etc.) even if they don't need to be repaired/serviced. I want to make sure I go to a qualified watchmaker without going to one that will be obligated to replace things on the watch.

I don't know if "Omega Certified" is an official designation, or just marketing language. But if you are looking for an independent watchmaker, you can ask if they have an "Omega parts account", which will allow them to buy parts directly from Omega. I'm not saying that this is an absolute requirement; a good watchmaker without an Omega parts account could also be fine, since there are ways for them to source any necessary parts, and I honestly don't know what fraction of parts for a 1970s watch are still available from Omega anyway, but probably some are. My understanding, based on many posts from @Archer, is that independent watchmakers are not constrained by the same policy as a Swatch service center.

Information from the forum is fine, but the bottom line is that you should be spending your time finding a watchmaker and communicating directly with him/her. That will be the key. You can and should ask all of these questions in advance and make sure that you get clear answers. However, you cannot count on the watchmaker to know what is valuable and what is not for a collector, most watchmakers are not collectors. So it is your responsibility to state very clearly what should be done and not done.

Definitely agree with @Dan S. Your watch is probably needing a good service, I’d be concerned only if the issue appeared all of a sudden, instead of getting worse over time.
I too think that the best thing to do is to find a watchmaker whom you trust and speak to them clearly. As for Omega service, at least here in Italy, you have a network of authorized service centers (private businesses, not owned by omega): watchmakers inside the center take care of your watch, so you can talk to them no problem about what you do or don’t want (like dial/hands replacement etc). Issues may arise if your watch has to be sent to Bienne to be restored, in that case they usually do what they consider right. At least that’s how I know it.
@Dan S So Omega still sells parts to independents? I thought that now they restricted spares just for the authorized (shame on them…)

@Dan S So Omega still sells parts to independents? I thought that now they restricted spares just for the authorized (shame on them…)

@Archer has explained that independent watchmakers can get Omega parts accounts by meeting certain criteria. I don't recall the details, but my sense is that he doesn't consider the criteria to be onerous for a well-trained watchmaker.
Edited:

Perhaps you can let people know where you are located and you may get a recommendation or two from a fellow member on this forum.

You said it started up when you picked it up, and it ran for 20 minutes. You also indicate that something might be”jammed”. If something was jammed, it is hardly likely that it would start up after simply handling it. Do you wind it FULLY, until the crown will not turn any more? From run down, that might require 50 or 60 turns of the crown. If you consistently wind it FULLY, each day and the watch misbehaves, have it checked out. If you are not winding it FULLY, a watch repair tech will it be able to help you.

1970's Speedmaster? Caliber 861? Sure all parts are available somewhere. Just find an experienced Watchmaker. Don't worry too much about a " disreputable" Watchmaker. And which country are you from ?

I would check if the watch is magnetized or not, before taking any further action. It is easy with a capable smartphone, installed an application like Lepsi. It won't hurt anything. If you don't wanna do that, you may take it to any watch maker just to check it in front of you, without leaving the watch there.