Forums Latest Members
  1. efauser I ♥ karma!!! Apr 6, 2016

20160406_214345.jpg
    Larry S and Egatdagi like this.
  2. oddboy Zero to Grail+2998 In Six Months Apr 6, 2016

Why would they do that? So they can't be used again?

3. efauser I ♥ karma!!! Apr 6, 2016

I see no other reason.

4. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Apr 7, 2016

Odd - not sure why they would do that...

5. efauser I ♥ karma!!! Apr 7, 2016

The watchmaker who put it back together pointed it out when I asked why he couldn't use the original pushers. He had no idea why they would do that, either.

6. x3no Apr 7, 2016

I think if there is a moral to this story it is.. Do NOT send your watch to Omega for servicing, unless you're ok with it possibly coming back not the same.

The crimping of pushers just amazes me.. ::facepalm2::

Fordex likes this.
  7. tony72cutlass's' Apr 7, 2016

Not sure how many of you are in Canada but I had my Geneve and Speedmaster send to @Archer and he did an amazing job. I'd highly recommend him.

needless to say I've got some used original pushers if anyone wants them :p

8. kingsrider Thank you Sir! May I have another? May 25, 2016

Has this thread been forwarded to Omega? Hodinkee? A story like this should be of interest to the industry and all collectors.

9. efauser I ♥ karma!!! May 25, 2016

Knock yourself out.

10. kingsrider Thank you Sir! May I have another? May 25, 2016

Done. I don't expect anything to come of it, but you never know...

11. cicindela Steve @ ΩF Staff Member May 25, 2016

Bastards

oddboy likes this.
  12. Greatpa May 28, 2016

Maybe this is the result of the watchmaker trying to remove the pushers with some good old pliers :cool:

13. Vercingetorix Spam Risk May 28, 2016

I had some flightmaster pushers returned from Omega. I tossed them but I remember seeing plier serrations indented in the pushers. Probably the easiest way to get them out. The three crowns were returned in usable condition. I doubt they crimp them so they can't be used again as the sole reason.

Edited May 28, 2016
  14. Larry S Color Commentator for the Hyperbole. May 28, 2016

Dicks ...This looks like a deliberate damage to keep them off the market.

15. efauser I ♥ karma!!! May 28, 2016

Not to be a conspiracy theorist but who has put themselves in the position to be the sole source for parts?

16. Greatpa May 28, 2016

Yes, of course they want to sell you some new. The wizards of Omega ..::stirthepot:: (have not red the long threat)
    If they was to replace them anyway (?) then maybe the watchmaker did not bother taking the extra time (and expenses) to remove them without damaging them :)

17. efauser I ♥ karma!!! May 28, 2016

I could believe that if Omega wasn't keenly aware of the strong market for their vintage watches.

If Swatch was smart, rather than cutting off the supply of parts for older watches--what I have come to believe to be the ultimate goal of forcing them to be serviced through Omega, they embrace the vintage market by encouraging trade-ins for new Omegas, thereby becoming a potentially huge source of vintage watches and additional income. If they went in that direction, I think Omega would change its attitude on sympathetic restorations. Or, I could just be full of crap.

Edited May 28, 2016
    ahartfie and Greatpa like this.
  18. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker May 28, 2016

Knowing how pushers come apart, there was absolutely no reason for anyone to use pliers on them. The pusher tube or body has serrations on the OD, which match with serrations on the ID of the pusher caps. You don't need to grip the pusher cap at all when unscrewing the cap screw from the inside of the case, as the serrations keep the cap from spinning. Zero reason to use pliers on the caps as they have done here, and the tube or body (which by the looks of the caps shown by the OP may not have been changed - not sure) unscrew from the case with a specific tool for that purpose.

Sequence of changing a set of pushers - cap screws unscrew from inside the case:

[​IMG]

No need to use pliers or anything to grip the caps - note serrations on the tubes still in the case:

[​IMG]

Tubes are unscrewed using the red tool, which grips on those same serrations:

[​IMG]

New pushers:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Pushers disassembled (again without damage to pusher caps) and tube has Loctite applied to threads:

[​IMG]

Tubes screwed into case:

[​IMG]

Pushers assembled:

[​IMG]

No pusher caps were harmed in the making of this post.

Cheers, Al

lindo, Eve, Fordex and 13 others like this.
  19. Greatpa May 28, 2016

Nice with some hands on. Still chances are that the watchmaker did not know what he was doing, or maybe he/she had some problems with the screws not coming out due to corrosion or such..
    What Archer shows is how it should be done, yes :thumbsup:

20. efauser I ♥ karma!!! May 28, 2016

Since the service was done by Omega, I hope to God they know what they were doing.