Forums Latest Members
  1. Lex4TDI4Life Jun 17, 2013

I am advancing in my vacation plans for later this summer and have a difficult decision to make. My reading has led me to believe that both Munich and Milan are excellent cities for the vintage watch shopper. Sadly, I will probably have to settle on just one. Which do the learned members here believe will make for a more profitable outing?

TIA,

-Lex

2. cicindela Steve @ ΩF Staff Member Jun 17, 2013

I only have one recommendation, bring lots of cash. :p

3. Lex4TDI4Life Jun 17, 2013

That's already on the agenda. My hopes aren't very high, but I would love to find a piece that doesn't make the rounds too often on eBay.

4. kendrick Jun 17, 2013

Having never been to milan i cannot speak on it, but munich is excellent for both watch pursuits and passing the time;) . Also, munich has the added benifit of being largely an independant watch market. Most german sellers only accept wire transfers or simply refuse to ship outside the country. Making it extremely difficult to acquire anything without Residing in Germany.

Regardless you cant go wrong.

5. Dablitzer Jun 17, 2013

Munich hands down. And overall I think it's cheaper.. Try the Urhen Technik Borse on Sunday and there is also a vintage
    watch fair but I can't remember the name but you should be able to find info online about it. Many shops in the city centre toom access to dealers locally through various networks.. Good luck! Oh, and Steve's right.....
    ::money::

6. Lex4TDI4Life Jun 17, 2013

That second factor is important. Munich seems like a far more interesting place to pass a couple of days.

7. Privateday7 quotes Miss Universe Jun 17, 2013

Alex you seem to know many fair and markets for vintage watch. No wonder you always have steady stream of nice watches :thumbsup:.
    Do you have any advice if I go to London, where should I go? (Don't tell Somlo, I'll be scolded by many people here if i bought there)

8. Dablitzer Jun 18, 2013

I don't give out all the secrets...;) Come and join me for a coffee in London? When do you arrive? How long? I can give you a few places but you have to have your wit about you because as previously mentioned there's many redials. That's why it's better to buy from dealers or at the huge antique/flea markets...(Annually and not as many now) I would say the majority of nice pieces I have accumulated are from this forum ! :thumbsup: PS I have never bought from somlo or anywhere near Burlington arcade, absolute rip off if you ask me.

9. Privateday7 quotes Miss Universe Jun 18, 2013

I'll be there early July for 4 days with my family. I think I only can spend half day for myself and my hobby. It would be great if we can have a cup of coffee there :thumbsup:............ Of course if you can bring few of your Connie waffles for 'oooooh shiny' show for this poor fella that would be awesome.

That's why I am afraid if I go there, the senior member here will scold me: "Haven't you learned your lesson from forum yet?":p

10. Dablitzer Jun 18, 2013

Definitely! :D If your family can loan you to me for an hour! :p

"Of course if you can bring few of your Connie waffles for 'oooooh shiny' show for this poor fella that would be awesome."

Yes, I shall wear them all on one wrist! As long as you wear your PG solid arrowhead! ::jumpy::

11. alam Jun 18, 2013

Beer is much better in Munich, but for espresso Milan is better alternative ;)

12. Privateday7 quotes Miss Universe Jun 18, 2013

That one I am afraid I can not do :( . I always use beater or daily wearer in my long trip. If you visit Jakarta........that's another story. I'll bring all of my watches for you :D.

13. DLT222 Double D @ ΩF Staff Member Jun 18, 2013

Been to Milan on several occasions - it's ok but overpriced. I would go Munich!

14. Lex4TDI4Life Jun 18, 2013

I think my decision is made. Thanks, gents!

Now, to figure out where I am going to stay....