Forums Latest Members

Movement regulating apps. Opinions ?

1. dx009 Aug 29, 2016

I know that there are a few applications out there that you can use to regulate the movement of a watch. I've never used one so far and I'd like to give it a try.

Any recommendations ? Any tips/suggestions ? Discuss your own experiences and opinions on these apps. Are they capable of anything good or is it just playing around hoping for that +2s/24h ?

I'm certain that such an app cannot match a timegrapher but I just want to give it a go and see what results I get so I'm curious what you guys think.

Preferably interested in Android/Windows as I don't have any iOS products (but feel free to talk about any OS).

2. GuiltyBoomerang Aug 29, 2016

I tried a few in Android. Tickoprint is probably the most full fledged one, and if you have a quiet room it will pick up the louder movements. You can connect headphones with mics in them to get a more accurate reading; however some movements which are just really quiet can be hard to pick up. They do offer a clamp and mic for purchase...but you may as well get a timegrapher with that money. Good for rough readings.

Incidentally, I found my SM30 @peatnick sold me was running about what he stated it to be: -30s/d!

3. dx009 Aug 29, 2016

Are all apps based on the microphone of the phone ? I remember seeing one or two that had a camera function and you would point it at the dial or hairspring I believe, not sure though.

4. Deafboy His Holiness Puer Surdus Aug 29, 2016

I used two:
    1) Twixt: You take a picture of the watch on a daily basis and manually indicate where the hands are located. It works ok and gives s/day deviations from ideal rate.
    2) Open Source Timing Software: much more technically advanced, it gives results similar to a professional timing machine. Uses a microphone. Can examine the effects of rate on watch position, beat error, amplitude, etc. Not a mobile app but a computer software. Has excellent noise reduction algorithm to remove ambient noise. I think it's pretty awesome (and free) but not for the technically challenged.

Michel

GuiltyBoomerang likes this.
  5. dx009 Aug 29, 2016

Oh... Computer software... Wow, why didn't I think of that? So there are also software that one could use as well.. ?

6. GuiltyBoomerang Aug 29, 2016

Just happened to buy the pro version of Ticktoprint and the parts needed to make a Piezo, before reading this; can fiddle with regulations on both my phone an my PC now! Thanks @Deafboy :)

7. dx009 Aug 29, 2016

Other than Open Source Timing... is there any other software ? Something neweer and simpler ? I can't seem to find anything good enough.

8. ChrisN Aug 29, 2016

I've used Wildspectra mobile here. In that instance and for my Smiths Mantle clock somewhere else on here, the timegrapher was not really applicable.

Have a look but it only does rate, no beat error or amplitude.
    Screenshot_2016-08-29-20-32-15.png
    Regards, Chris

9. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Aug 29, 2016

Twixt works pretty well. Not perfect but well. It will not work in a watch that has stopped as it needs 2 readings to work. The others don't but need a decent microphone.

10. dx009 Aug 29, 2016

Well I've downloaded all the apps I could find on Android (one or two I couldn't install for some reason) and I still haven't found anything palpable that can help me do a simple movement regulation. :/

11. ChrisN Aug 29, 2016

Did you try the one I noted above? It should do what you want. I assume you only want to check your regulation?

Chris

12. al128 unsolicited co-moderation giverer Aug 29, 2016

I use Wildspectra a bit, but it is rather a pita (needs to be really quiet to pick up the tic-toc and get some meaningful readings ... works ok on old (loud) watches, but not so good on modern (way more hermetically cased) ...

pretty hit-and-miss, and I am talking measuring after 11 pm :cautious:

13. dx009 Aug 29, 2016

That was the one I used and al128 pretty much explained it. I also didn't manage to fully understand it.

14. AlphonseJr Mar 12, 2017

I'm using Toolwatch

Compared to most of the other apps out there, it's both free and available on iOS/Android

[​IMG]