Forums Latest Members

Movement Identification and Advice

1. AnotherAussie Feb 23, 2021

Hello good people of OF

Is anyone able to identify this movement? Seller claims unmarked but I daresay someone with a keen eye will be able to identify.

Additionally, regarding the staining on the movement, does it look to be superficial (and can be cleaned) or does it appear to be corrosion? Would you guys take the punt?

As always, thank you for your time in advance. I appreciate the input.

Aureole.jpg
  2. JimInOz Melbourne Australia Feb 23, 2021

Landeron 50.

None of the steel parts are rusted so I suspect it's only tarnish that will clean off if done with care.

Larry S, nzshadow, Foo2rama and 2 others like this.
  3. Dan S Feb 23, 2021

What do we have to do to see the dial? :D

4. AnotherAussie Feb 23, 2021

Thanks @JimInOz, you are a legend. I presume you are a fellow Aussie?

@Dan S I'm wary to share. The last time I shared a watch it was nabbed from right under my nose!

5. Dan S Feb 23, 2021

Based on what I'm seeing, I going to guess it is a Chronographe Suisse variant.

AnotherAussie likes this.
  6. AnotherAussie Feb 23, 2021

@Dan S you are very good!

Dan S likes this.
  7. JimInOz Melbourne Australia Feb 23, 2021

Yep, just like you, I AnotherAussie :D.

I thought that as soon as I saw the lugs. Start your search for spring bars now, let me know if you can't find any.

Very wise move :thumbsup:.

8. AnotherAussie Feb 24, 2021

I won the auction and feel safe to now post. Have a look and tell me what you think.

aureole1.jpg aureole2.jpg aureole3.jpg aureole4.jpg aureole5.jpg aureole6.jpg aureole7.jpg
  9. padders Oooo subtitles! Feb 24, 2021

Be careful when you fit the bars, female bars can need some persuasion, more than one CS has been destroyed by clumsy bar fitting as those lugs are likely paper thin and are easily distorted. Was there a brass inner caseback? Those add a lot of rigidity if so.

AnotherAussie and Dan S like this.
  10. Dan S Feb 24, 2021

Congrats on winning the watch. As noted, the lugs are hollow, so you want to be careful.

11. AnotherAussie Feb 24, 2021

Appreciate the heads up @padders and @Dan S. From the images provided, there didn't seem to be an inner caseback. Fingers crossed it does come with one and was just omitted from the photos. Excuse my naivety (I am very new to all this), but until you mentioned it, I didnt even consider there were male and female bars - I think I will reserve this fitting for a watchmaker. Do either of you two own a CS per chance, or do you tend to steer clear for the reasons noted above?

Last one from me - just out of curiosity, for this particular watch, how much would you you expect to pay? For reference, I paid just under $900 USD.

As always I appreciate the responses - I am learning a tremendous amount.

12. Dan S Feb 24, 2021

The CS cases usually have a heavy (brass?) cover inside the case-back. I always assumed it was to add heft to the case, which would otherwise feel flimsy. But perhaps it provides structural integrity as well, as @padders suggested. I've never owned a CS, but I've had the chance to handle them on various occasions, so I'm somewhat familiar with them.

13. padders Oooo subtitles! Feb 25, 2021

I like these and have had 3 but I have warped one myself so I was speaking from slightly embarrassed personal experience. Prices vary wildly as there are many variations, I’ve seen them go as high as £700GBP so I guess your figure isn’t silly but perhaps not quite a steal. Black dial models occasionally fetch more still. There is a lot of variation in dials cases and movements though, so who knows what is fair for a given combo. This one might not have had the inner brass back so don’t panic if it’s not there. There is a good existing thread on CS on here if you search. I’ll try to find some pics of mine.

Edited Feb 25, 2021