Forums Latest Members
  1. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Jan 13, 2013

2. LouS Mrs Nataf's Other Son Staff Member Jan 13, 2013

The story is that Zenith and Movado were part of the same holding company (MZM) from 1969 to 1983 (along with another downmarket company called Mondia). There was much sharing of movements and parts between the two, and Zenith's El Primero and cal 146 replaced Movado's cal 90M and 95M as chronograph movements across both companies. Zenith was also at the time involved in a long running trademark battle with Zenith the television company in the US, so tended to push the Movado-branded models Stateside, which in turn tended to be equipped with 17J versions of El Primero so as to avoid punitive import dues. With the exception of the jewel count and certain minor cosmetic differences the Movado Astronic HS 360 was absolutely equivalent to the Zenith Espada. Today, you can frequently find the Movado versions for less money, as Movado prices are negatively affected by the company's "mall watch" reputation.

Here are some images of the Espada for comparison
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

both have the Primero 3019 PHF, with the addition of day-month-moonphase to the regular high frequency chronograph with date. It came out one year after the regular El Primero 3019 PHC, at a time when Heuer was still fussing with their caliber 11 to make it work right after its hasty and poorly prepared launch.

Timmovitz and Stewart H like this.
  3. MMMD unaffiliated curmudgeonly absurdist & polyologist Jan 13, 2013

***EDIT*** Didn't see LouS's post, as I started queuing this one up and then had to step away for a while, but here's my take, and pardon the redundancy. The Movado Astronic is the 17J version of the 31J Zenith Espada, the El Primero with addition of day, month and moon phase, predecessor to the Zenith Chronomaster. Same 3019 PHF movement as the Espada, with jewel count reduced (I believe through de-jeweling of the chronograph), likely to avoid excessive duties in the US on watches with more than 17 jewels, and branded Movado, likely due to trademark disputes with Zenith Radio Corporation in the US; same thing with the Datrons. So basically the American market version of the Zenith Espada. I believe "Super Sub Sea" means depth rating to 10 ATM; you'll note it was called "Chronodiver" in this brochure from around 1974:

[​IMG]

The hour markers differ from the Espada's. The case and dial are otherwise basically the same. As with the Espada, there were two series of Astronics, produced probably between 1972-74, in low numbers. A production number of 100 steel Astronics has been quoted, but I suspect it was a little higher, as they are rare but not vanishingly rare on the market. Like the Espada, the second series has the new 70's Movado/Zenith star logo on the dial instead of the Movado one.

The price for the one you show might be a little on the high side, but around $5k would not be outrageous as it looks pretty good. This seller has listed an Astronic at this price for quite some time now... I believe the same watch... though it looks like he has found a correct screw-down crown; there was a generic replacement crown on the Astronic previously listed by him at this price. One thing to look closely at is the internal tachometer bezel, as the blue tends to oxidize into little gold patches; this one looks pretty good. The clasp is a replacement - it should be signed Movado; this switch is very common, and replacement Movado clasps are introvabili.

I think the Astronic is among the most collectible Movados, up there with the Polyplan and M90/M95 chrono. Here's mine, purchased by the original owner in 1974 for $360 (sticker price was $425).

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

It was probably the most advanced mechanical watch available in the US at that time (I don't know what's more awesome than an automatic, high-beat, triple-calendar-moon-phase-chronograph-diver), sold at a fairly steep discount off the MSRP. I consider that moment in 1974 to be the end of the pre-quartz era.

Timmovitz likes this.
  4. danomar Jan 14, 2013

This thread has gotten me seriously re-thinking the Astronic.

Thanks—not! ;)

Buncha enablers the people here ...

:p

5. ulackfocus Jan 14, 2013

We take our positions seriously. ;)

6. LouS Mrs Nataf's Other Son Staff Member Jan 14, 2013

Indeed. As long as you have money to spend, we will find you watches to buy

7. MMMD unaffiliated curmudgeonly absurdist & polyologist Jan 14, 2013

Look, this sort of thing works both ways...

Cross-Enabling

:whistling:

8. LouS Mrs Nataf's Other Son Staff Member Jan 14, 2013

Oh, bravo!::psy::

9. MMMD unaffiliated curmudgeonly absurdist & polyologist Jan 14, 2013

Hey, the Captain needed a first mate.

Look, when one of theirs buys an A386, something has to be done. To paraphrase what Mr. Connery said about Chicago in The Untouchables, "he pulls a gun, you pull a knife... that's the Le Locle way."

You've been dying to bust out the Gangnam Style animation, haven't you.

10. LouS Mrs Nataf's Other Son Staff Member Jan 14, 2013

I talked myself out of bidding for that selfsame watch just before the end of the auction - good thing too, as both of us going Ashley could have been very painful for the winner. I'm glad you got it as I would have been very sorry not to see it again.

Now, why did I talk myself out of it? Wouldn't you like to know....

11. MMMD unaffiliated curmudgeonly absurdist & polyologist Jan 14, 2013

Well, I got pushed pretty close to my cap, so the Ashley approach probably would have taken it down. Not sure whether I want to know your reasons for holding fire... :cautious:

12. cicindela Steve @ ΩF Staff Member Jan 14, 2013

What a breech of Forum ethics :eek: . I have never let a member's not having money stop me from finding watches for them to buy.:p

Mothra likes this.
  13. MMMD unaffiliated curmudgeonly absurdist & polyologist Jan 14, 2013

Wait, is it because all of your shiny gold chronometre money is tied up in Captain Cal 71 futures?

14. LouS Mrs Nataf's Other Son Staff Member Jan 14, 2013

Pretty good - three out of four - I'm impressed

Quite right. Why should we not drag members to the same level of debt as ourselves. I stand corrected.

15. ulackfocus Jan 14, 2013

Damn straight! I'm listing watches to pay for new ones because I just did the math and I can't eat or put gas in the car for the rest of the month if I do. :eek:

...well, that's an exaggeration but it COULD happen. :p I did have to turn down a pretty nice watch somebody offered me today though. :(

16. MMMD unaffiliated curmudgeonly absurdist & polyologist Jan 14, 2013

I demand photographic confirmation ASAP!

17. Gavin It's the quiet ones you have to 'watch' out for. Jan 14, 2013

Hey, I do own a Zenith before I bought my first Omega.:whistling:

18. MMMD unaffiliated curmudgeonly absurdist & polyologist Jan 14, 2013

And I an Omega before my first Zenith!

Gavin likes this.
  19. LouS Mrs Nataf's Other Son Staff Member Jan 14, 2013

Only a matter of time before we break out in "It's a Small World After All" around here::puke::

20. MMMD unaffiliated curmudgeonly absurdist & polyologist Jan 21, 2013

Back to the topic of Astronics. I think this one looks quite good and complete, at a reasonable opening bid (even the BIN price is not crazy for this watch):

Big Sky AstronicPurchases made through these links may earn this site a commission from the eBay Partner Network