Forums Latest Members

More from the Dirty Windshield

1. Faz May 17, 2018

Hello all,

I was thrilled to have my better half ride with me to Hanover PA this week! Since I started this new career, she still couldn't get over the fact that I became a trucker. She needed to see me in action and experience the whole thing first hand! I managed to obtain permission from my employer and voilà, her wish was my command.

IMG_0517.JPG
    Except for a 90 minute wait to cross the Thousand Islands bridge into Alexandria Bay NY, we had beautiful weather and an uneventful drive. Hauling 45,000 lbs of welding rod coils to Hanover PA.
    IMG_0520.JPG

IMG_0518.JPG IMG_0519.JPG IMG_0521.JPG
    We then headed to Myerstown PA to pick up a load of shingles. We were delayed by one wicked thunderstorm!
    IMG_0522.JPG IMG_0524.JPG IMG_0523.JPG
    I've decided to go for seconds this week. Getting ready to haul some wood to Yaphank LI, NY. I've decided to switch Seikos for the trip! Off comes the strap on the 053 and on comes the leather NATO..
    IMG_0525.JPG IMG_0528.JPG
    Cheers!

pippy, Alpha, Longbow and 13 others like this.
  2. vbrad26 May 17, 2018

Hey some coiled rebar!
    Doubt you will, but if you ever make any rebar deliveries to Southwestern Suppliers in Tampa, FL let me know! Hah!

3. gdupree May 17, 2018

Very nice. As a professional traveler in a different field, I know the joy of having your spouse out with you for a bit. Fun times.

Great looking collection you got there... Is that the Luftwaffe Glashutte you were selling a while back? Love that one, as a history fan.

4. Faz May 17, 2018

Thanks!

And yes to your question...and it's still for sale!;)

5. Tony C. Ωf Jury member May 17, 2018

Hey Faz,

I'm curious: what are your thoughts on the threat to your (new) profession posed by autonomous vehicles? Is there any consensus amongst your fellow drivers?

Cheers,

Tony C.

6. Faz May 17, 2018

Most of us don’t see a threat in the near future because the infrastructure is the key to implementing the already existing technology. The scope of the project, as far as North America is concerned, is a titanesque task. The railway (my transportation “alma mater”), is going through the same phase.

Having said this, autonomous transportation, whether personal or commercial, has momentum and no doubt that in the near future, the next generations will be surrounded by driverless trucks, cars and trains. Shippers are preparing for the change already.

Cheers,

7. gdupree May 17, 2018

This is something I find fascinating. Driving motor vehicles is without a doubt the most dangerous and costly activity that we engage in on a daily basis. The difference that autonomous vehicles can make on life, death, time (that we sit in traffic, etc), money (that we make while not sitting in traffic, etc), and the environment (environmentally friendly cars are not exclusive to autonomous cars, but I think it's fair to assume that autonomous cars will not have combustion engines, and it might be a big factor in convincing drivers of combustion engines to switch), all of which could lead to a monumental shift in everyday life.

I think that autonomous vehicles could represent one of the biggest areas of improvement for the generally functioning society. Who among us doesn't have a loved one, friend, or acquaintance whose life was lost in a car accident? My best friend died in one 11 years ago. I'm sure many here could share similar stories. Imagine a future where we see the last death from drunk driving, or texting, or other accidents from driver negligence? Sure, accidents will still happen in cases, but it could legitimately become a rare occurrence in the near future. As much as it would be unfortunate to see professional drivers like yourself lose jobs to machines, the area has such huge potential that I think it will be one of the primary focuses of the next decade-or-so.

akshayluc420 and Faz like this.
  8. vbrad26 May 17, 2018

You seem to be working up in the NE but down here in the south, we have been having a tough time getting carriers when we need them.
    Seems they are in high demand right now.

Faz likes this.
  9. BlackTalon This Space for Rent May 17, 2018

Hey, where are the pics of the shingles? :whipped:

Faz likes this.
  10. BenBagbag May 17, 2018

Cool pictures. Good luck getting into LI. What bridge you taking to get over?

I remember reading that the first step towards autonomous trucks is to get them from exit to exit without driver in control and then have the driver take back over. Seems like a relatively smaller mountain to climb and I imagine would still constitute a big change in the industry.

11. Huus May 18, 2018

Nice you had an offsider to give a hand putting all those straps on the coils. :thumbsup:
    And Seiko remains the watch of choice in a rough working environment.

Faz likes this.
  12. Faz May 18, 2018

Unfortunately, I had to do it as my wife wasn’t allowed to leave the truck while loading and tie down. However, she did help putting the straps away after unloading!

Huus and Mtek like this.
  13. Mtek May 18, 2018

I really enjoy these threads and the pics Faz.

Longbow, Larry S, Huus and 1 other person like this.
  14. noelekal Home For Wayward Watches May 18, 2018

You could post photos every day Faz and I'd enjoy them.

CTS-V, Longbow, Huus and 2 others like this.
  15. Faz May 19, 2018

It seems that manufacturing activities are on an uptick where I travel in NE, Pennsylvania and Ohio but there is a huge question mark on the politics of import and export See Free Trade). It's a long known fact that raw material are imported to the USA and then exported as finished products. There's some uncertainty in that cycle right know but in the mean time, things are going very well indeed!

Cheers,

noelekal likes this.
  16. Larry S Color Commentator for the Hyperbole. May 19, 2018

You sir are having way too much fun! As I wind down my career in Consumer Package Goods, I salute you! Even said to the wife yesterday ... hell with consulting, truck drivers are in high demand. I think this gig will last a long time for you.

Faz likes this.
  17. Faz May 19, 2018

I agree wholeheartedly! One MUST love driving extended hours though.

No boss around. Constantly changing "Office" scenery...amazing people. Pay is so so, but ok as long as you put in the hours. Easy to do when you like it. And if you haul flatbed mode, it'll whip you back into shape in no time. Very physical work! Those tarps weigh between 80 and 100 lbs each..their a bitch. And the straps and chains and...but oh so satisfying!

A quick note. You are right that drivers are in high demand. Employers now offer flexibility and enhanced benefits to the working conditions to attract the right candidates. I basically make my own schedule. I go out 3 days one week and 5-6 days the next. Home every weekend and more.

noelekal likes this.
  18. vbrad26 May 21, 2018

I work in the steel fabrication and construction material industry and we have a fleet of 8 tractors/drivers of our own.
    However a lot of the time we rely on common carriers to bring stuff in from the ports and mills to us, or just take material out of here if we are too busy.
    Things have been a little crazy lately which is good for you all, but we have lost a couple of our drivers to "greener pastures".
    All of our stuff is within the state though. We only have 2 sleepers that make the longer runs, and even then they only stay out for one night.