Forums Latest Members

Moonwatch only Book 1st edition vs 3rd edition

1. sgoody1 Jan 3, 2020

Happy New Year everyone.

Probably a silly question - but thought I should check:

I have just been bought the 3rd Edition hardback book - Moonwatch only. Its still shrink-wrapped.

I also have the 2014 1st Edition hardback issue, that is in pretty good condition.

Is there really any reason to keep both, and if I sold one, should I sell the earlier edition, as I guess the 3rd has more information in it - or is there some special reason to keep the 1st Edition?

Thanks.

2. Cenzo Jan 3, 2020

First edition will usually resale for more than any other editions. Third addition will have some additional info.

3. Bille Jan 3, 2020

If you want to make the most amount of money, and have the book with most information, you sell the first edition and keep the 3rd edition. But if you want to keep a collectable book, you keep the first one.

4. BlackTalon This Space for Rent Jan 3, 2020

Keep the one that will save you from making the most mistakes when buying Speedmasters. It will pay for itself many times over.

jB1128, kov, lando and 7 others like this.
  5. sgoody1 Jan 3, 2020

Thanks - but as a reference guide, do you really think the first edition of this, will become more valuable than the 3rd edition? I think these type of books while available, over the medium term (at least for the next 15 years), will not be worth more than cover price, with earlier out-dated issues being less valuable than more recent issues.
    But I still think I agree with you - sell the first now, and keep the 3rd.

Bille and SpeedyPhill like this.
  6. Evitzee Jan 3, 2020

Don't buy books as an investment, they are worse than watches.

airansun, Bille, lando and 6 others like this.
  7. BlackTalon This Space for Rent Jan 3, 2020

Well I am waiting on my copy of the 3rd Ed, and it will join in with my copies of the 1st and 2nd Eds. So I am not the best person to ask. But I'm not sure I really see these books going up in value very much. Their value for me is in how they can help you avoid making very expensive buying mistakes. Mistakes that are an order of magnitude or more than the potential increase in the value of the books.

The 2nd Ed adds a bit of content to the 1st. My understanding is some of this extra content was eliminated/ reduced in the 3rd Ed, but content was added on the newest models. So the 3rd Ed has more content than the 1st.

With the ability to get Moonwatch Only content on an app, I'm not sure buying print versions with the hope they will increase in value is very wise. But I wholeheartedly agree with buying them because they put a mountain of very useful info at your fingertips.

BTW, the reasons I will have all three editions are 1) I have signed copies of the first two editions, and 2) when a new edition comes out it tends to knock down the value of the earlier copies. So I don't see the need to sell the old signed editions for pennies on the dollar just because I have the latest one. The signed editions are keepsakes for me, and if I were to ever part with them it would likely be to gift them to a friend who was learning about Speedmasters, versus selling them for a few bucks. If I needed the $ that badly I likely would not be buying Speedmasters :D

Lonestar likes this.
  8. Taddyangle Convicted Invicta Wearer Jan 3, 2020

I have the first edition, the one from Omega Forums. I have the second edition, which was part of the deal when I bought my Speedmaster Italian Limited Edition. I just purchased the third edition.

I may give the second edition to a buddy.

kov likes this.
  9. lindo Jan 3, 2020

Hello buddy.

10. SpeedyPhill Founder Of Aussie Cricket Blog Mark Waugh Universe Jan 4, 2020

Once more, I would like to salute their tremendous talent in putting all this detailed information in book format !
    3rd revised and expanded edition:
    - 32 additional pages
    - A new 16-page gallery of astronauts’ and their Speedmaster
    - 17 new Speedmasters
    - A new detailed story of a vintage Speedmaster
    - More than 120 new pictures and about 50 pictures improved
    - Text corrections and additions
    - Models serial range and popularity index updated
    - Many QR codes to extend your exploration
    ::book::
    MWO_3.jpg

Mad Dog, tyrantlizardrex and Badwolf like this.
  11. Capt Cave Man Jan 4, 2020

Thinking of pulling the trigger on the 3rd edition here, books etc for 50% off.

12. ryankelly Jan 4, 2020

13. lindo Jan 4, 2020

Thanks - would you believe I sent off a payment last night, and saw your post this morning, which would have saved me over GBP100.

14. nzshadow Stowaway Jan 4, 2020

Thank you. Just took the plunge.

Capt Cave Man likes this.
  15. befobe Jan 5, 2020

I had the one, bought the 3rd, and sold the one. As many of you, I think it is "optimistic" to believe that technical books will become collectors, especially when next edition come on the market, add infos, or sometimes correct wrong information from the previous.

Exemple, 20th anniversary LE: on my french first edition, only one bracelet described: the 1450. On the second and third edition, correction, both 1450 and 1479 are correct, production from 1989 to 1991.
    Probably the next edition will correct again, since I mailed the authors that I have a LE 20th anniversary produced in 1993!..

Anyway, I confirm this Bible is necessary... At least one.... Whatever the edition...!

16. Wryfox Jan 5, 2020

This isn't James Joyce. This is a reference book IMHO, just like an encyclopedia. The newest version will always be worth the most.

LeonDeBayonne likes this.
  17. SpeedyPhill Founder Of Aussie Cricket Blog Mark Waugh Universe Jan 5, 2020

Correct for watch collectors in terms of accurate updated information on the Speedmaster parts and chronographs... but a first edition of any book (with its mistakes and incomplete info) is always sought after by book-collectors

Gentle Ben likes this.
  18. Wryfox Jan 5, 2020

Thank YOU! Just ordered.....$145 delivered to USA. Great deal.

19. befobe Jan 5, 2020

Whaou, great price indeed... Compared to the 250eur from the beginning... Maybe I should finally invest in this future collector! ;)

20. orlis Jan 5, 2020

Yeah, the deal is good but they are unable to fulfill at the moment. I ordered mine on 25th and when asked what’s going on got a response:
    Sorry for the delay in dispatching your order. We have had an unexpected problem with the transfer of the item from the warehouse to our dispatch area so I have had to order you a replacement copy unfortunately. Could you kindly confirm when you have received it?

Our apologies for the inconvenience and I thank you for your patience.