Forums Latest Members

Moonwatch not available anymore (just temporarily)?

1. buramu Jun 29, 2020

I'm not a watch-collector, but merely someone who appreciates beautiful things. The timeles Speedy was always the watch that caught my eye while windowshopping on the airport, but the €4000-€5000 investment in a luxury watch like this is not something I do lightly.

So, after years of secretly longing for a Speedmaster, I've finally mustered the courage to plonk down my cash on a Speedmaster Pro (sapphire sandwich).

Anyway... I'm ready to order my Speedy, but now it seems it's not available on the European Omega website anymore ("Contact a boutique" instead of "Add to basket"). This, added to the rumors about Omega discontinuing the current Moonwatch model in lieu of a more upmarket model with a newer movement, makes me rather nervous.

Does this happen on the website more often, or have a procrastinated just a week too long?

2. Capt Cave Man Jun 29, 2020

The're all available to add to basket on the UK site.

buramu likes this.
  3. YY77 Jun 29, 2020

Check whether tour nearest AD has stock, you would probable be able to negotiate a discount so I wouldn't even order it on the website.

buramu and connieseamaster like this.
  4. Evitzee Jun 29, 2020

Availability always comes and goes in various markets. It'll come back in stock.

buramu likes this.
  5. Martin_J_N Jun 29, 2020

Some months ago the FOIS Speedmaster went awol on the Omega site, not currently available, waiting lists etc. this combined with the gossip that the 1861 movement was potentially enough to convince some, me included, to conclude that the watch was no longer being made. But, the FIOS is now back in stock so I guess that the Moonwatch not being available is just a temporary blip.

buramu likes this.
  6. buramu Jun 29, 2020

Indeed, that makes a lot of sense. But in case there is no leather bracelet version in stock, I'd still worry a little bit that the AD wouldn't be able to order one if Omega has quietly stopped production.

I'm the worrying type, apparently :unsure:

I was mostly hoping for someone to chime in with "Yeah this happens on the website all the time, it'll be back in a week"... ;) [edit: which just happened while I was typing this. Thanks all!]

time flies likes this.
  7. pete91m Jun 29, 2020

I was in my local AD on Saturday. I’ve been debating whether to go for a new seamaster or speedmaster so wanted to try a few on. They had no moonwatch in stock and said they’d been struggling recently to get any more. Assume possibly covid related but they’d let me know when more come in.

Martin_J_N and buramu like this.
  8. Screwbacks Jun 29, 2020

which particular speedy model are you hooked on getting?

9. buramu Jun 29, 2020

I've gone back and forth between the FOIS and the Sapphire Sandwich w/ black leather strap for weeks, but eventually settled on the latter. They're both gorgeous though, and I'd be over the moon with either I guess.

Readiness77 and Screwbacks like this.
  10. Evitzee Jun 29, 2020

I'd suggest you always buy the bracelet version and negotiate an Omega deployant clasp and strap as part of the deal. Most boutiques and ADs will do this. Adds flexibility down the road and makes any sale in the future easier. People want the option of a bracelet.

pete91m and buramu like this.
  11. BlackTalon This Space for Rent Jun 29, 2020

You can score one easily, so don't sweat it. Also best if you don't consider it an 'investment', as it will lose value.

buramu likes this.
  12. buramu Jun 29, 2020

Oh yeah.. absolutely. I meant investment for myself, as the longer I wear it, the higher its sentimental value. I have no intention whatsoever to buy one and flip it in a few years. I'm not a collector, I'm a wearer ;)

13. arno Jun 29, 2020

This is available for online purchase (add to basket) on FR website too ...