Forums Latest Members
  1. davy26 Limited comebackability is his main concern. Jun 1, 2018

Alerted by a short feature in the new issue of Motor Sport magazine, I've just been looking at the catalogue for what must, for many of us on here, be a dream combination of auction lot subjects - Porsche 911 and Rolex Daytona.

Just a pity that, in my case anyway, bidding will only be on a theoretical basis! But that doesn't stop me, or anyone else, having a highly enjoyable browse: http://www.monacolegendauctions.com/media/auction/19-07-2018-0000/the 55 catalog tt.pdf

MonacoAuctionJuly2018Loty1.jpg

SouthernScot likes this.
  2. SouthernScot Jun 1, 2018

Hi from a long time Motor Sport reader. I saw this and also had a browse, some interesting cars there, pity they didn’t have the watches but that would only be a dream as well. I particularly liked the 1964 911 but at that estimate I’d need a lottery win. My son has a modern 911 Carrera 2 which I get to drive sometimes, but that is as close as I will ever get, and a neighbour has a 997 GT3 RS that I can drool over.

3. davy26 Limited comebackability is his main concern. Jun 1, 2018

I imagine they will be gradually building the catalogue, and the watches will progressively start to appear, so probably worth checking back from time to time. That said, I remain mostly interested in the Porsches, being still somewhat conflicted about the watches: I have only just recently 'got' the Daytona from an aesthetic viewpoint, managing to overcome my underlying and persisting dislike of Rolex brand values. My attempts to get on a waiting list, or rather the ADs' attitude to these, have reinforced my grumpiness.

BTW, SS, how are you liking the new format of Motor Sport? I'm generally pleased with it, having feared a while ago that the mag might be weakened by the departure of Roebuck. But, on the contrary, I'm finding Mark Hughes a more than suitable replacement and his technical analyses of the current F1 situation are exemplary.

4. SouthernScot Jun 1, 2018

I like the current format of Motor Sport, the layout and content are the best they have been for some time and have encouraged me to keep up my subscription. I go back to the WB and Jenks era and have seen many changes over the years but have always stuck with it. The low point for me was when some bright spark thought it would be a good idea to change the cover to red, fortunately that only lasted about 18 months!

5. davy26 Limited comebackability is his main concern. Jun 1, 2018

WB and Jenks . . . they enjoy a fabled status nowadays, and possibly some who speak fondly of them have had little or no experience of their writing. Last year I did a lot of editing of the 50s/60s issues for the digitization archiving project. In doing that I realised just how poor a lot of their writing was, and WB's road tests were often just bland repetition to a formula - think, in contrast, just how good and diligent Andrew Frankel is nowadays in that role. Of course, I had many laughs regarding things said by WB/Jenks's that today would be deemed to reflect casual sexism, but though that made me feel better empathy with them, I still seethe about how nasty Jenks was about JYS, a man he put down from the comfort of his typewriter, yet who proved his bravery as well as sublime skill behind the wheel of those BRMs, Matras, March and Tyrrells.