Forums Latest Members

Modern Tudor or Modern Rolex

1. Jockywilson1 Oct 21, 2022

So I’ve been window shopping for 124060 on eBay, no real intention of buying one but would definitely consider it for retail (looks like prices are softening so might not be such a far fetched idea). So for about £11k you can get a relatively new but worn example. And then I thought about what you could get by going for there little brother. So again using eBay as the market. For the same money you could get a black bay 58, a pelagos 39, a black bay pro and the new ranger.

To be fair I know it’s comparing apple with oranges and I have 3 of the 4 Tudors listed above so I’m somewhat of a fan, but it’s amazing the difference in the proposition. Maybe a Tudor will never quite scratch the Rolex itch but I’d definitely take the 4 over the 1. Plus I doubt there’s much difference in terms of investment potential if that’s you thing.

2. Duracuir1 Never Used A Kodak Oct 21, 2022

Looks like you have a nice Tudor collection (photos?). You still have a desire for the Rolex, however, and it will likely only go away once you buy a Rolex.

janice&fred, NikolShep, NGO1 and 5 others like this.
  3. Larry S Color Commentator for the Hyperbole. Oct 21, 2022

Ya want a Rolex, buy a Rolex. (but don't do it because its an “investment” ) I own a modern black bezel GMT Master II bought new in 2013 before the “investors” infected the market. They really are great watches. My watch has never been a safe queen either although thanks to the hype, its no longer safe to wear it in certain neighborhoods.

4. Jockywilson1 Oct 21, 2022

A fair point but if the choice was to trade in my 3 Tudors (and a hypothetical 4th) for a Rolex sub, I don’t think I’d be winning. I guess my point is that Tudor really do offer a great value proposition.

watchyouwant likes this.
  5. vbrad26 Oct 21, 2022

My Tudor GMT made me want the Pepsi GMT a little less. And I love the thing. But I still want an Explorer II.
    I don't (and haven't) daily worn a Rolex, but I don't really imagine it could be THAT much better than my Speedy or Diet Pepsi.
    Especially at current market prices.

6. SC1 Oct 23, 2022

For me, modern Tudor cases suffer from being a little too chonky... in the case of cases, Rolex wins.

7. Scarecrow Boat Burt Macklin, FBI Oct 24, 2022

My Rolex journey started with the og black bb58
    IMG_5482.JPG

I wanted a tritium 14060 and the bb58 was awesome but just made me want the sub more. So I sold the bb58 and bought a sub (and original bracelet just not pictured).
    IMG_5391.JPG

The Sub was awesome initially. The honeymoon period wore off and it was just a mass produced yet very expensive mass produced watch. It was cool though and there are times I miss it. I sold it...

And ultimately came back to
    IMG_3363.JPG

It is also mass produced and very cool but also a lot less money. I also added
    AB97D60B-7334-455C-9D6C-23DAD57E0993.jpeg

All that to say, I like the Sub, specifically the older 14060. I do miss it from time to time and I am happy I got to experience it. But for the price point of the Tudor(s), I can have more and still have the same amount of fun, if not more than the Sub as neither of these two have fallen flat.

8. watchyouwant ΩF Clairvoyant Oct 24, 2022

I have handled/owned every worthy vintage Rolex in the last 30 plus years. Sold all except for the Mil. Sub . Modern Subs versus Tudor ? Pelagos FXD as a military inspired Tudor Sub anytime over any modern Rolex Sub. No question in my mind....

9. Borosilikat Oct 24, 2022

IMO Tudor is the way to go for divers at the moment with the Pelagos and the BB58 just being preferable in my opinion to the sub ever since they made the maxi-case.

All other Rolex models trump Tudor big time though IMO, I mean who really wants the current Ranger over the Explorer? or a Royal over a Datejust?

blufinz52, Pun and watchyouwant like this.
  10. Borosilikat Oct 24, 2022

Modern Rolex sub has totally lost it's military/actual diving inspiration I think

Linesiders, Pun and watchyouwant like this.
  11. t268 Oct 24, 2022

It's all about the case for me. The Oyster case is the perfect blend of elegance and understated masculinity. The chunky Tudors are a pass for me for this reason.

SC1 and blufinz52 like this.
  12. Aroxx Sets his watch Oct 24, 2022

I’m slowly getting over my Rolex lust. Still really like the Datejust 36 with fluted bezel and jubilee but it doesn’t really fit my lifestyle right now. Maybe in 20 years. If Tudor can slim the cases down and put that T-Fit clasp on the BB58 and GMT I don’t know how long I can resist one of those.

watch3s likes this.
  13. Jockywilson1 Oct 24, 2022

thats an interesting journey you’ve been on. And it reaffirms my thoughts…….2 or 3 or even 4 different Tudor models is more fun then one Rolex, for a similar monetary outlay.

Tekashi_145.022 likes this.
  14. mydeafcat Oct 24, 2022

This. 100% for me as well. My Speedy, 2254 and Tudor GMT hog my wrist time (insert porcine thick-case joke here. Oh wait! I just did! Honestly, though, I don’t care a speck: I love the Tudor case in all it’s shiny so-called slab-sided glory).

Rolex has an impressive legacy, and great brand positioning ensures that the Crown remains a pebble in many a watch lovers shoe. I respect it, of course, yet other than a few >34mm vintage models (1018, early GMT or mid-70’s SD), I’m not much of a fan. I also find the cyclops rather gross. That said, there’s a 1972 Tudor 7024 in a local shop; I love it and am almost willing to forgive that goofy, pointless eye bubble.

For me, the Tudor GMT has scratched away any semblance of a Rolex itch.

Edit: forgot the obligatory wrist shot. Sorry ‘bout that.

ACA9DA98-6ED2-4C10-8F7C-08A190AFB8A3.jpeg

Edited Oct 24, 2022
    crd, janice&fred, vbrad26 and 2 others like this.
  15. Difeer Oct 26, 2022

This is the reason why I haven't gotten a Tudor yet, because I know I will be using it to scratch the Rolex itch. Tudors are great. I just don't want to buy them for the wrong reason.

watch3s and Duracuir1 like this.
  16. watch3s Oct 26, 2022

that is one of the major flaws of the bb58 for me as well. i even bought an additional aftermarket endlink, an additional bracelet but have yet to change it. that clasp is terribly designed to me. I have loved the bb58 ever since i got to try it on at a watch event. it is a consolation for the 14060m i once traded away until i can source another reasonably priced one.

17. johnireland Nov 12, 2022

Not true. One Rolex Sub is the real thing. All the other brands and models are wannabe knock offs. They might be good watches...but they will never feel the same as you strap them on. When you are wearing a real Rolex Sub, you won't even think of the others. You might as well sell them and finally scratch the itch.

blufinz52 and janice&fred like this.
  18. janice&fred Nov 13, 2022

Or to take a page out of the vbrad26 playbook...the answer is have both :D

19. vbrad26 Nov 14, 2022

Well, gotta actually get that E2 first lol!

janice&fred likes this.
  20. janice&fred Nov 14, 2022

Not necessarily. Your plans are set and intentions are virtuous but only held back temporarily due to funding. :D

vbrad26 likes this.