Forums Latest Members

Modern Supercompressor-style Watches

1. abrod520 Apr 16, 2021

So with this week's release of the Baltic Aquascaphe dual-crown getting lots of attention, I wondered how many other modern supercompressor-style watches there are out there. We all know and love the Longines Legend, and the new Jaeger-LeCoultre Polaris lineup is bringing a bit more heft to the SC world. But I'm wondering how many other smaller brands might be out there, especially if there are any more no-date variants out there!

The Baltic:

upload_2021-4-16_9-58-9.png

@JwRosenthal mentioned the Lip Nautic-Ski reedition, with 8 different variants:

upload_2021-4-16_10-0-16.png

I was also reminded of the Milus Archimedes reedition. Very interesting looking variants, could be tempting but it's a bunch more expensive at 1900 CHF, though it sports an ETA movement unlike the Miyotas of most of the others.

upload_2021-4-16_10-2-39.png

The Nodus Duality (not as faithful to the Supercompressor style, but retains the dual-crown functionality)

upload_2021-4-16_10-4-43.png

Any others out there that can be bought new?

2. Redwes25 Apr 16, 2021

Great topic, Loving the look of that Baltic and would definately be interested in seeing other options. Not sure I have seen any other those then what is mentioned in that Baltic release thread.

3. abrod520 Apr 16, 2021

I recently took in a Nodus Duality on trade, black with the 12hr bezel. It's a great-looking watch and nicely sized, but the crowns are terrible. Both are screw-down - yeah, even the bezel - and the action is so terribly unrefined and grunchy that it feels like you're stripping them anytime you use them. Really too bad, that.

I want to try one of those Milus as they look great in the renders, but I can't shake the suspicion that they don't look nearly as good in person.

Larry S likes this.
  4. dougwhiz Apr 16, 2021

I've seen ads for the Christopher Ward version recently. Starts around $1100 USD.

ward1.jpg

connieseamaster and abrod520 like this.
  5. sonicosa Apr 16, 2021

Larry S and JwRosenthal like this.
  6. abrod520 Apr 16, 2021

Oh good call, forgot about that one. Also no-date which is nice.

As for the Dan Henry, I bought one initially but really didn't like it. Very cheap for under $300, but feels every bit as cheap in all areas :/

I also forgot about the Lorier Hydra,

upload_2021-4-16_10-55-43.png

but wouldn't consider as those hands just gross me out. Unfortunately they use them on all their models, which otherwise would be fairly tempting.

There are also a couple of Seiko 5 Sports models with the main crown at 3.

upload_2021-4-16_11-0-21.png

Handsome watches, but a strange design decision considering most of the Seiko 5 models already have their crowns at 4 ::confused2::

wagudc, Larry S and JwRosenthal like this.
  7. timoss Apr 16, 2021

Why not buy an original super compressor instead of a modern “knock off”?

8. Larry S Color Commentator for the Hyperbole. Apr 16, 2021

Because we want to actually wear them-in or near water.

9. wagudc Apr 16, 2021

I am with you. I never like the crown at 4, except when it is balanced by a second crown at 2. Why the 3-4 combo? Are they just trying to antagonize fans of symmetry?

Scarecrow Boat likes this.
  10. JwRosenthal Apr 16, 2021

Oh come now, we all know there is only one watch that is truly at home in the water...
    B8295B2C-8D09-4536-8F3A-1F52DE268BB3.png

And he bears the mark of the devil! ::stirthepot::

abrod520, Larry S and TDBK like this.
  11. fibonacci Apr 17, 2021

And maybe this:

"One thing about the vintage models to know is that case parts and crystals are nearly non-existent. The 2 o’clock crown that operates the inner bezel is attached to a little star gear that drives the bezel when turned. If this is broken, the star gear and stem are simply not available, so it’s best to avoid examples with a non-working bezel. The crystals are rare as hen’s teeth as well, especially the large sized ones. I know that there are some NOS crystals that have been found to fit the 36mm cases, but they usually do not have the correct construction to accommodate the inner bezel properly."

https://wornandwound.com/guide-super-compressors/

Larry S likes this.
  12. timoss Apr 17, 2021

There are lots of waterproof modern watches—you don’t have to buy a knock off from the past to swim with your watch.

I admit I am being a bit provocative, but sometimes the endless retreads of heritage designs is a bummer.

13. abrod520 Apr 17, 2021

But some people... y'know.... like the supercompressor style? Also, take a look at some of the suggestions. Not all of them are full vintage reeditions. Some just have "vintage" (read: classic) touches in the designs but aren't knockoffs of any particular design.

And even a fully serviced vintage supercompressor won't fare well in water or even humid environments. The design was flawed - while it cleverly sealed up better the deeper you dove, it wasn't capable of proper water resistance in shallow water and so many leaked. That's why the design didn't last long.

14. abrod520 Apr 17, 2021

I think Seiko is maybe trying to be different for difference's sake? It's a terribly ugly look IMO which is too bad, since some of their 5 models look like they could be a ton of fun for the <= $300 they cost.

wagudc likes this.