Forums Latest Members

Modern Apollo Soyuz LE - another 20.000€ watch?

1. VjaceCZ Oct 10, 2021

I was lucky to buy one approx. 3 years ago because I couldn’t resist this magical meteor dial (I wish I’m capable enough to capture it on camera). Since then I’m watching the price progression and noticed during the last year that just few pieces were available on the market, for higher and higher prices and never last long.

This week unworn full set for 16.500€ has been offered on C24, reserved in two days only.

Is the modern Apollo Soyuz next over 20.000€ Omega watch (speaking of ordinary full sets, not only in case of 10+ years unworn safe queens)? Does the modern Apollo Soyuz follow white Snoopy, Mitsukoshi, Albino, small Snoopy and Alaska project? What do you think? And what modern Speedy will be next 20.000€ watch? Silver coin dial Apollo 17 40th Ann? Or 45th Ann Apollo 17 with gold touch and printed typo in the original box?

2. Hoddspur Oct 10, 2021

Difficult to say but I’ve certainly noticed both the ST1 and ST2 prices going ballistic recently. Love my Ultraman and will never let it go; but that’s not to say that I wouldn’t love to own the Snoopy 50th Anniversary one day to complete a great two speedy set.:):thumbsup:

3. f3dbca Oct 10, 2021

Meteorite dials seem to be “hot” at the moment (whatever that means). And like you say, there are rarely any on the market which probably explains some of the price bump.

Personally I think they are stunning watches, I know many here agree. The dials are (literally and figuratively) unique. They weren’t big hits when they were first released. I know of a handful out there that were sold in the last few years and still have several years of warranty left.

pdxleaf likes this.
  4. VjaceCZ Oct 10, 2021

Honestly as far as I monitor the market, ST1 didn’t grow on the price for a while and surprisingly (for me) ST2 made it on the same level and nowadays it looks like the ST2 is even more expensive compared to ST1. I always thought ST1 will be more valuable than ST2.

I’m pretty surprised Gemini 4 prices are getting higher but only veeeery slowly. This model is quite unique in Speedmasters line-up. Completely forgot to mention Apollo 11 45th Ann which is completely unique watch and stunning in flash. This model is my bet on next 20.000€ Speedy watch.

5. Caliber561 Oct 10, 2021

IMO it wasn't that surprising that the ST2 shot up faster than the ST1. Flashier watches seem to perform much better in terms of 'appreciation' than the more low-key models.

6. machamp6650 Oct 10, 2021

Watching the roll out of ST2 a couple of years ago, my impression is that it got caught up in the hype train / investor buzz that's been increasingly common in recent years. New LE release, lots of people buying with the intention to flip for profit, so the market is immediately inflated. This seems to have been less of a thing when ST1 came out, both in terms of timing and also the fact that the success of the speedy tuesday model wasn't known at the time.

Foo2rama and Caliber561 like this.
  7. Caliber561 Oct 10, 2021

Yeah, that definitely could have been a contributing factor as well.

8. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Oct 10, 2021

ST 2 languished at retail price for unworn new in box examples.

It’s only recently started to rise. And by rise double in the past 6 months.

tpatta likes this.
  9. Hoddspur Oct 11, 2021

I also think that it might be something to do with the potential for Omega to cut down on LE models ( in preference to limited production) and collectors, enthusiasts etc snapping them up before they become completely unobtainable - driving prices up.

Caesar95 likes this.
  10. ckhaing Oct 11, 2021

all of them, plus FOiS, 2998 and trilogy
    modern symmetrical cases, which are de facto limited, are on the way to rise, if 321 ed white is still not liberally available

Edited Oct 11, 2021
  11. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Oct 11, 2021

I hope it doesn’t happen and people drift towards other Speedmasters, it’s frustrating enough when Rolex speculation gets out of hand

Buster and Eve like this.
  12. pdxleaf ... Oct 11, 2021

Yes, it may hit 20 within 6 months if the last year is an indication.

Will it sustain 20k? No idea. Suspect it will drop as will everything if and when the whole economy goes through a correction.

But comparing this watch to other Omega speedmasters, it has not only a unique design and material, it is very attractive. Given that a replacement dial is over 3K, the original watches were a bit of a value. Only 6 months ago we probably could still get a watch without papers for 7500 to 8500, with 10k for bp. If you can get a watch only for 10 to 12 that seems a deal.

There are a lot of interesting speedys, including the ST1/2 cited here, but just comparing them to the meterorite dial, in my humble opinion the meterorite dial still sits on top.

Don't be tempted to sell yours when it hits 20k. And don't feel like you lost anything if after hitting 20k it later drops to 7k. It's a great watch that brings enjoyment every day. It's my keeper if I could have only one watch.

Cheers

befobe and YY77 like this.
  13. VjaceCZ Oct 11, 2021

I have no intention to sell anything from my collection whatsoever. But I’m used to track the value of each watch in the collection. Actually I don’t know why I do this because I’m not searching for the price sweet spot. It’s kinda weird doing it. Maybe it’s way to justify money I spent for all the watches ;)

pdxleaf likes this.
  14. Evitzee Oct 11, 2021

Because you can have a lot of money tied up in watches, they are a financial asset and must be managed, even if you have no intention of selling. And admit it or not, EVERYTHING has a price.

15. OmegaBHR Oct 11, 2021

The two tone meteorite dial on this one is fantastic :thumbsup:

pdxleaf likes this.
  16. pdxleaf ... Oct 11, 2021

Hopefully we trade up. That's partly my point, there's some watches i Iove that I could sell to find something I might like better. Hard to imagine that with the meterorite, unless it was for two meterorites or one with box and papers.

EDIT: unlike Tintins that people seem to want to dump with the current prices.

Edited Oct 11, 2021
  17. f3dbca Oct 11, 2021

Worth knowing for insurance if nothing else! Being underinsured because an asset has shot up in price and you’ve not noticed is no fun should you be in the unfortunate circumstance of needing to make a claim.

18. Ian_km Oct 11, 2021

Wow, didn’t realise the ST2 had gone up so much, a shame really as I’ll start to feel guilty wearing it.

As for the Soyuz, I still rue the day I tried a new one on at an OB and decided to pass….. missed opportunity.

19. omegabruh Oct 11, 2021

It’s crazy how much the A17 40th has shot up. I liked the unique design but just checked it has shot up to $8k-ish now, it’s insane. People hated that watch and now all of a sudden it’s so in demand. I can’t wait until the patina kicks in due to the age on the silver coin.

20. VjaceCZ Oct 11, 2021

Absolutely. Year or so back I've posted here my expectation A17 40th being an expensive watch because of this unique design and because almost nobody from watch community didn't like it. To be honest I didn't like it as well but bought the watch just because I was convinced it will be a sought after model one day. I got it BNIB from AD with a huge discount. They got the watch in the shelf for years...