Forums Latest Members
  1. SamuelP Sep 3, 2019

Hi,

So here comes the classic; I’ve just inherited this watch, please help this newbie!

Ive got a few questions, hoping someone can help or point me in the right direction.

What this model is called and can I find out more information on it?

Also I would like to get the watch cleaned up abit, there seems to be some black bits on the face (hard to see in the photos) but if I did clean it up am I risking making it less authentic?

If I was to have it cleaned serviced etc where’s best to send it?

If you’ve got any ballpark valuations I’m happy to see them, not looking to sell though. I would like to keep it with original parts and as authentic as possible however I would also like to restore it to its former glory.

So here’s what I know:
    Purchased in Hong Kong 1981
    Ref No - BA 191.9391
    Desc - 18ct Yellow Gold

Here’s some photos
    CD83EADD-F936-435C-9E05-42F29DA62AF1.jpeg
    5FB2BD73-11AE-4329-83CA-2D469D8AC1F6.jpeg
    09B8DFDF-4B2F-4A7B-BD8E-DCC8CA37CD3E.jpeg
    A2A68482-9D30-437D-9EFC-AA9CC047D4DD.jpeg
    9C9DDA4C-1F88-4510-AD3E-BDBCD8D32CB3.jpeg
    9A5D1078-0362-4B06-9C36-DD1477C6D7B9.jpeg

Many thanks for your help!
    Sam

ALinares likes this.
  2. SamuelP Sep 5, 2019

Bump. Can anyone help?

3. DaveK Yoda of Yodelers Sep 5, 2019

Welcome to OF! I can feel your excitement for this watch. So, if you haven’t already done so, go open a new bank account for the next watch that you will imminently start dreaming about ;)

IMO, many collectors will not be interested in an 80’s quartz watch of this style. The fact that you love it is all that matters though! I would take it to a watchmaker (not a mall kiosk, who will ruin it) and not Omega (who will ruin your finances). Let us know what town you are in and someone can make a recommendation.

What to do with the watch to restore it? A watchmaker can give the case an ultrasonic cleaning and polish the crystal. I would suggest that you leave he dial as is, you could buy another watch with what a restoration would cost you. Consider any marks on the dial to be the story of the watch’s life, and enjoy that every time you see it (this will allow you to see what your relative saw when they wore it - charming really). Tell the watchmaker to NOT polish the case. Polishing will round the sharp edges, even a bit, and you can never get them back. I’d recommend enjoying the watch unpolished, you can polish it in a few years, when it is time for a new battery, if the scratches on the case really bugs you

If you really want to spend money on it, go for a new Omega strap if the current one needs replacing. Hold on to the old buckle though. You might need it down the road, our you can get some $ from selling it. I think it is nice to keep the original buckle with the watch

Enjoy!

OzOmega and connieseamaster like this.
  4. SamuelP Sep 5, 2019

Thanks Dave,

Yeah I think I’ll get the watch cleaned up, new battery and enjoy for a few years. I’m located in Brighton but in central London every other weekend. Anyone recommended?

Already got my eye on a new speedy for an old Vs new collection

5. DaveK Yoda of Yodelers Sep 5, 2019

Your life will never be the same :cool: I hope to join the Speedy club some day