Missing Bezel ?

Hi all. First post, first vintage Omega. I have recently bought a Seamaster Automatic Cal 491, 1958, 'big medallion' 34mm case , however it is missing the bezel. I don't underestimate the difficulty in finding a replacement.

So, my thoughts are of maybe using another marques bezel ? I guess SGR would have made very similar cases for other watches ?

Does anyone have any experience in this and can point me in the right direction ? Obviously, the ideal scenario is an original period correct Omega bezel, but what other options are there and even if I find a case, how difficult is it to remove/fit the damn thing !

Thanks in advance, be nice

Screenshot_20230619-120511_eBay.jpg

Screenshot_20230619-120523_eBay.jpg

There is a Trade called Watchmaker

Umm. Ok. Thanks, it may well end up with such a highly skilled individual. In the meantime.....Did you have anything productive to add ?

Where did you buy it? Any chance to return if missing bezel not mentioned?

you would need to find a case with the same reference number. Finding just a bezel is pretty much zero. Same for using another bezel unless you epoxy it on to make sure it stays in place

or you can just wear as is

I have machined up bezels in the past but it is a time consuming (read expensive) job to get right.

You may end up needing to have a bezel fabricated, which can be done. But before investing a lot of time and effort, I'd consider the upside compared to finding a complete watch in good condition. For example, at first glance, the bottom left lug looks pretty badly polished.

Where did you buy it? Any chance to return if missing bezel not mentioned?

you would need to find a case with the same reference number. Finding just a bezel is pretty much zero. Same for using another bezel unless you epoxy it on to make sure it stays in place

or you can just wear as is

Hi Don. Thanks for the reply. I think you've confirmed what I guessed really. I did know it was missing, so it's no drama with the seller. I just thought I'd ask. But it does seem an impossible task. It's fine. I'll chalk it down to experience. It's structurally sound, so I'll just wear it as it is. I never bought it to sell on, I'll just enjoy it without the bezel and keep my eyes open for a 'scrap' case.
Onto the next one, I guess. They are beautiful things.

You may end up needing to have a bezel fabricated, which can be done. But before investing a lot of time and effort, I'd consider the upside compared to finding a complete watch in good condition. For example, at first glance, the bottom left lug looks pretty badly polished.

Thanks Dan. This is my first purchase, so I will use it as a learning curve. Yes, I notice the lug you mention now. It is still a lovely piece to own. I'll just enjoy it.

I may consider a fabricated bezel at some point, if I can find somewhere to do the work.

Thanks Dan. This is my first purchase, so I will use it as a learning curve. Yes, I notice the lug you mention now. It is still a lovely piece to own. I'll just enjoy it.
That’s the right attitude. Stick around.

If it's a crafted bezel you're after, you should give @No Mercy a shout.
He made a replacement bezel for my Connie and his craftsmanship is second to non. It wasn't ridiculously expensive either, so no need to forewarn the bank manager 👍

If it's a crafted bezel you're after, you should give @No Mercy a shout.
He made a replacement bezel for my Connie and his craftsmanship is second to non. It wasn't ridiculously expensive either, so no need to forewarn the bank manager 👍

Cheers, I've dropped them a PM.