Forums Latest Members
  1. cverstegen Dec 13, 2019

Hi all! I have been addicted to reading these threads for a while now, so thanks for all your posts and info. I just bought my first vintage Omega. I did as much research as I could and I'm pretty sure everything is proper, but it arrived today and one thing was a bit strange - the 12 o'clock double marker consists of two separate markers and they are not lined up with each other. Has anyone seen this before? Is it something that can be fixed? I am not sure how the markers are attached, but I thought they were set in holes in the dial, so I didn't think they could be misaligned. Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated. I really like the watch in general. Thanks! dial.jpg markers.jpg back.jpg ref.jpg cal.jpg

2. Vitezi Dec 13, 2019

It's quite possible that one or both markers had come loose at some point in time, and have been repaired or reattached during a service. Sometimes the tiny marker posts that fit into the holes in the dial break off, and markers are simply glued back in place.

Edward53 and cristos71 like this.
  3. VetPsychWars Wants to be in the club! Dec 13, 2019

Also possible the pin isn't centered and one is upside-down.

Tom

4. mac_omega Dec 13, 2019

to add: sometimes these little "feet" might be slightly bent - can be adjusted in case the marker is not glued

Noddyman and Vitezi like this.
  5. Fabrice M Dec 13, 2019

Interesting. I wonder what happened.

6. greyfox422 Dec 13, 2019

If you get it fixed, please post a follow up pic to see the difference. I'm almost certain a watchmaker could clean up the dial and straighten them out.

Edited Dec 19, 2019
  7. DaveK Yoda of Yodelers Dec 13, 2019

Also, feel encouraged to post potential purchases here before pulling the trigger, a tremendous amount of help can be had (and money saved).

I hope that dial repair works out :thumbsup:

8. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Dec 14, 2019

Lume missing from the hands also.

OMEGuy likes this.
  9. OMEGuy Dec 14, 2019

Looking at the patina around these and the other markers on the dial, this would have happened a long time ago, then.

I guess it left the factory (Singer? Not sure...) this way.

10. Noddyman Dec 14, 2019

It’s not unusual for the markers to be misaligned. I’ve seen this a number of times on these ‘egg shell’ white dials with this marker style. My theory is the dial degradation starts to form underneath the markers causing them to twist and move. On my Constellation (similar year 1959, same colour and markers) the degradation caused the star to twist around 30 degrees. Strangely it’s only the white dials that seem to be affected with patina around the indices. This only seems to happen on this particular marker style, regardless whether radium or onyx inserts.

Edit to add photos:
    1498220E-FFCF-4122-8B42-F6B6BC816011.jpeg 91C7EED6-1250-4C82-BD31-A6EC6E02AE6B.jpeg

Star corrected and patina now hidden.
    98384039-C3D9-48F6-9755-7729B31549F9.jpeg

Edited Dec 14, 2019
  11. OMEGuy Dec 14, 2019

Very interesting input and observation...

12. cverstegen Dec 14, 2019

Thanks so much for the responses! I’ll hope that it has just shifted and has not been glued. I’m going to take it to a watchmaker next week to get the movement serviced so I will ask that they look at the marker as well. I’m in Brooklyn, NY; anyone have a suggestion for a watchmaker in NYC?

13. Noddyman Dec 14, 2019

If you could report back it would be interesting to know what your watchmaker says about the patina. I often wonder if it could be cleaned up somewhat or better just left alone.

14. cverstegen Dec 18, 2019

UPDATE: Just heard back from the watchmaker today. He said he can get the dial looking like it is "new from the factory," but it turns out there are larger problems - the movement needs a new mainspring and reversing wheel. As it is now, the watch runs but I can't manually wind it. This leads me to have to ask all you knowledgeable people another question... what is a reasonable amount of money to spent on a working, recently serviced version of this watch? I paid $490 for the watch and the watchmaker is asking $500 for the movement service and parts. This does not include the dial cleaning and marker fixing (he wants another $280 for that). Lets say I skip the dial work and just get the watch working correctly. I will have spent about $1000 and the dial will look like it looks in the previously posted pictures. I like the watch quite a bit, so I don't mind spending the money, but I also don't want to find out that I could have spent half of that if I just kept searching. The ebay seller that I bought it from allows for free returns, so I could just send it back and start the search again. What do you all think? Is it worth the $1000 or should I send it back and keep looking?

15. Vitezi Dec 18, 2019

Ah yes, the perils of vintage watches. :) Wonky markers are almost a requirement on a vintage piece because they add charm and character. In my humble opinion, spend the $500 to get the movement serviced, skip the dial work, and get that fine timepiece on your wrist. Then take some pictures and post them here: https://omegaforums.net/threads/wruw-today.567/

TwinPeaks likes this.
  16. janice&fred Dec 18, 2019

you better go pick that watch back up from whoever you left it with. asap.

the only way anyone is going to make that dial look "new from the factory" will be by having it repainted and reprinted. also the price to fix the movement is outrageous. don't haggle...just get your watch back.

don't mess with the dial. it's part of your vintage watch's history. just shop around for a decent shop to service up the movement. in NYC there's loads of shops.

Rochete, Dan S and Edward53 like this.
  17. X350 XJR Vintage Omega Aficionado Dec 18, 2019

Never going to be a $1000 watch, you could do much better with a little patience.

thelinendial likes this.
  18. Edward53 Dec 18, 2019

What he said.

thelinendial likes this.
  19. VetPsychWars Wants to be in the club! Dec 18, 2019

BULLSHIT. $500 for a proper service so the watch keeps good time is perfectly acceptable. When I've paid less, I've gotten a crap job that someone else has to fix.

It might be enough to you to get the thing cleaned and oiled but adjusted and regulated means something to me and a lot of other people and takes time to do.

Now, mind you, sometimes my watchmaker charges me less; for an Omega 30T2, he gave me a discount from the quoted $500 because it went together better than he expected and required almost no adjustment. But restaffing the balance in a vintage watch and then adjusting so the delta is less than 15 seconds... this can take some time and effort and I am happy to pay it because my watch had better keep decent time on the wrist or I'll know why.

I'd like to hear what your expectations are and what you pay for them, but don't sneer at a $500 quote for service performed correctly and well.

Tom

20. janice&fred Dec 18, 2019

"BULLSHIT"? my expectations? get a simple automatic caliber omega cleaned, lubed and regulated without getting bent over and rammed like you seem to enjoy.

movement parts are plentiful in NYC and so are qualified watch makers that compete for business. the OP's watch movement is quite common. you must be high if you think $500 would be a normal cost for servicing it. well...I suppose it could cost that if the OP was living in east bumfuck.

Dan S, Stosh and 89-0 like this.