Forums Latest Members

Mido 100th anniversary reissue - 2018 Multifort Datometer

1. ekel Mar 31, 2018

2. Tony C. Ωf Jury member Mar 31, 2018

I don't own contemporary watches, but I will say that in the '50s the quality of Mido's gold-capped models was extremely high. By that I mean that the cases and gold applications were superior to those of most manufacturers of the day.

Now, whether the current company can be expected to produce such fine details is a question that I cannot answer.

ekel likes this.
  3. ekel Apr 8, 2018

Thanks, Tony. Is there a difference between gold-capped, gold plated and PVD?

4. Tony C. Ωf Jury member Apr 8, 2018

PVD is a much newer process, and, as a vintage collector, I have no experience with it. From what I understand, though, the exterior layer is far thinner that what one would find on most vintage gold-capped watches.

Gold-capped watches were typically applied with heavier/thicker amounts of gold than gold plating (which also varied in thickness), though this varied from manufacturer to manufacturer. Mido occasionally chose not to cap the lugs and side of the case fully, the way that most manufacturers did, but used a generous amount of gold. This is an example:

https://www.chrono24.co.th/mido/multifort-grand-luxe-ref-1189--id5277923.htm

Larry S and ConElPueblo like this.