Forums Latest Members

Mid-Seventies Tissot Electronic clock - jet engine inspired

1. Emeister Donut-eatin desk-divin wannabe-astronaut fat dude Feb 3, 2015

[Edited title from: "Just a plain old battery clock" as I was guilty of one of my own pet hates; non descriptive thread titles :oops: ]

Did I say plain? I meant to say plane ;)
    Hope this doesn't mean I'm joining the beard and socks & sandals brigade!

Yesterday's arrival, that I'm delighted to have. Another of those things that I never knew existed, but once I saw it I had to go all Ashley/nuclear on it and have it :cool:

Jet engine inspired, Tissot Electronic, 1x AA battery, electro-mechanical (?), pre-quartz (?) clock.

SAM_5790.JPG

SAM_5793.JPG

The minute markers are actually on the glass/'crystal' and although the hands aren't long enough to pass directly behind them there is an attractive depth to the face.

SAM_5787.JPG

SAM_5788.JPG

SAM_5789.JPG

SAM_5786.JPG

SAM_5785.JPG

SAM_5784.JPG

SAM_5782.JPG

SAM_5783.JPG

And a couple of the sellers pics of the 'movement' as I'm a bit pressed for time before work.

$_59.JPG

$_58.JPG
    The body is a completely hollow tube but there is a circular plate screwed in where the base is mounted to kind of block it off.

My only real clue to it's age is the Omega paperwork with this example recently listed on eBay Italy which dates the sale to 1975.
    $_57.JPG
    http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/RARE-TISSOT-JET-ELECTRONIC-PENDOLETTA-/171657947132?ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2047675.l2557&nma=true&si=RlmZ93ExunAmlr%2FTjBLM9lQOWFA%3D&orig_cvip=true&rt=ncPurchases made through these links may earn this site a commission from the eBay Partner Network

If anyone has any mid/early Seventies Tissot* brochures or catalogues could you please see if this is included anywhere and provide any descriptions given. Thank you. [* I know there were a couple of co-branded Omega/Tissot catalogues around this time but couldn't see this clock on old-omegas.com]

Apart from the listing above I've managed to find a few more by searching on Worthpoint.com
    http://www.worthpoint.com/inventory/search?categoryurl=&query=tissot engine clock&search-left=

Using the search terms "Tissot engine clock" I can bring up four examples. Thought I'd found more yesterday.
    If anyone is signed up to Worthpoint could you please check out the selling prices on these for me. Thanks again.

Haven't had a chance to put in a AA battery yet. The seller told me that it was running in certain positions but not when set up properly so I'll have to get it checked out.

Hope you enjoy it.
    Any further information will be very gratefully received.
    I know there have been a few very cool Omega, Heuer and Swissonic clocks posted here in the past so please feel free to share them too.

Ian

Edited Feb 4, 2015
  2. ConElPueblo Feb 3, 2015

I bet it'd been made for some aeroplane company. Looks smashing!

Deafboy likes this.
  3. Stewart H Honorary NJ Resident Feb 3, 2015

marcn, Buckeyes#1 and Darlinboy like this.
  4. iSuat Jan 8, 2016

Thank you for reference images :)

jet5.jpg
    Lonestar, Wivac, GregH and 1 other person like this.
  5. Emeister Donut-eatin desk-divin wannabe-astronaut fat dude Aug 2, 2016

This one just popped up on eBay (UK). There have been a few since I bought mine.

This is the first time I have seen the very cool (Visodate referenced) box though, so thought it worthwhile recording it here.
    s-l500.jpg

Listing includes
    "These items were gifted to Tissot retailers during the 1960's & 70's."
    This now seems to be an often repeated statement but I have yet to see any proof that this was the case and these clocks weren't just part of Tissot's normal range at the time.

Lonestar, Giff2577, furball and 2 others like this.
  6. Vitezi Aug 2, 2016

In Estelle Fallet's book, Tissot: 150 Years of History 1853-2003, your clock is shown in a "General Catalogue, 1971" so I think your hunch is correct. The same photo of the jet engine nacelles shown on the box appear next to the clock in that 1971 catalog. The footnotes describe your clock as "Tissot electronic, 1969. Derby 9129 calibre electronic movement ref. 2572, central second hand, smelted zinc reactor, eloxidated peralumen stand."

Emeister likes this.
  7. Emeister Donut-eatin desk-divin wannabe-astronaut fat dude Aug 2, 2016

Thank you very much @Vitezi
    That information is greatly appreciated. :thumbsup:

Edit:
    and image found
    Estelle Fallet.jpg
    I will have to grab a copy of that book.
    And the hunt for the catalogue/catalog begins... :cool:

Edited Aug 2, 2016
    GregH likes this.
  8. West Slope Aug 3, 2016

9. furball Aug 12, 2016

@Emeister I'm the one with the UK listing. It's been really interesting finding out more about this clock, and will subsequently amend my listing. I really appreciate your comments, as they help people like me who yet have many things to find out about clocks like these!
    Cheers all!

ConElPueblo, Vitezi and Emeister like this.
  10. Emeister Donut-eatin desk-divin wannabe-astronaut fat dude Aug 12, 2016

I count myself in the same boat. ;)

Thanks for signing up and your message above.:thumbsup:

Often it seems that we don't do ourselves any favours by drawing attention to the things we enjoy collecting (driving prices ever higher) but in this case, by presenting my initial googled research, others have been able, and willing, to guide me to further discoveries.
    It certainly keeps things interesting and prolongs the joy of the initial, random purchases. :D

Vitezi likes this.
  11. ConElPueblo Aug 12, 2016

I love this! Plenty of reason to go buy one, it sounds like it's straight out of an evil villain's volcanic lair :D

dragoman and Vitezi like this.
  12. furball Aug 12, 2016

@Emeister, absolutely! It's a pleasure, and happy to be a part of the forum. Since receiving the clock yesterday, I actually have a question or two if you or anyone else can help? The "nose cone" so to speak seems to be a little loose, as does the actual mechanism itself (doesn't want to screw on to the body securely, and almost wants to drop off, of its own accord!) Something else for me to worry about I guess lol.

13. Vitezi Oct 17, 2016

One has arrived on the 'BayPurchases made through these links may earn this site a commission from the eBay Partner Network: http://www.ebay.com/itm/142152151616Purchases made through these links may earn this site a commission from the eBay Partner Network
    [​IMG]

GregH, Emeister, ConElPueblo and 2 others like this.
  14. Emeister Donut-eatin desk-divin wannabe-astronaut fat dude Oct 18, 2016

I'm consciously in a phase of attempting to cure myself of unnecessarily doubling up on items in my collection.
    Phase two will be an attempt to put a stop to 'theme drift' in my collecting.
    After that I'm hoping to tackle the overwhelming compulsion to hoard in general.

Over to the rest of you that need to redecorate your own volcanic lairs. ;)

Vitezi likes this.
  15. Emeister Donut-eatin desk-divin wannabe-astronaut fat dude Oct 23, 2016

Sometimes I really hate myself for looking at completed auctions on eBay ::facepalm2::

This brochure sold for GBP2.99 last month ::rant:
    T1.jpg

T3.jpg

I already knew the steering wheel wall clocks existed but the table/desk version is new to me.
    T2.jpg

A little more information on this version of the "jet-engine shaped" clock seen in the posts above from Estelle Fallet's book.
    T5.jpg

I can't read all of the details but it does look like these clocks were marketed for promotional/gift/reward/advertising purposes and could be printed with your company details directly through Tissot.
    T4.jpg

If anyone does ever spot another of these catalogs/catalogues/brochures then please let me know. :thumbsup:
    If you ever see one at this sort of BIN price again then just grab it and I'll buy it off you and make sure there's a drink in it for you ;)

Edited Oct 23, 2016
    ConElPueblo, Vitezi and GregH like this.
  16. Vitezi Oct 24, 2016

Emeister and ConElPueblo like this.
  17. Emeister Donut-eatin desk-divin wannabe-astronaut fat dude Oct 24, 2016

:thumbsup:
    And again, for reference, this jet-engine one just ended with a single bid at the opening price of GBP175.00

18. Vitezi Oct 24, 2016

If you acquire one of those clocks, you will, of course, be required to strap on a PR 516 (with the proper rally bracelet) and driving gloves just to set the time:
    [​IMG]
    (thanksPurchases made through these links may earn this site a commission from the eBay Partner Network)

Good thing they came in lots of different styles:
    [​IMG]
    (thanksPurchases made through these links may earn this site a commission from the eBay Partner Network)

Emeister and Jwit like this.
  19. Drawarms Oct 24, 2016

that was me :whistling:

Vitezi and Emeister like this.
  20. JimInOz Melbourne Australia Oct 24, 2016

I was thinking of going for it, but it looks like it would spend all day hopping around my desk like one of those wind up toys.

Screen Shot 2016-10-25 at 3.19.19 PM.png Screen Shot 2016-10-25 at 3.19.00 PM.png Screen Shot 2016-10-25 at 3.19.35 PM.png

Lonestar and iSuat like this.