Forums Latest Members

METAS certified Seamaster Aqua Terra

1. Gaurav Jun 7, 2016

Hi,
    I was going to buy a new Aqua Terra Master Coaxial Chronometer in the next few weeks, however I just read on the internet that Omega will be certifying their watches to METAS standards by 2017.
    Knowing METAS is more stringent than COSC, I am kind of inclined to wait for it.

Does anyone know if 2017 timeframe for AT to be METAS certified is still valid?

Is it worth waiting, or you believe current AT master coaxial already performs to METAS standard? I am more interested in the accuracy +0 to +5 compared to COSC -4 to +6?

Thanks.

2. billyblue Jun 7, 2016

To my knowledge at Baselworld they anounced a new window of "by 2020" when they put all their movements through METAS. Mabe 2017 was meant for the anti-magnetic part only.

Spy and OMGRLX like this.
  3. Spy You know my name. Jun 7, 2016

I concur. 2020 is more realistic than 2017 since they are still making non-master co-axial watches.

4. meganfox17 Jun 7, 2016

" It's Not Unusual " to have most of Omega movements Metas certified by 2020[​IMG]
    As of Jan 2016 around 92 % are Co-Axial Calibres & only 10-15% out of that are actually anti magnetic Co- Axials ...so we have a long way to go before total In-House METAS becomes a reality

Edited Jun 7, 2016
    Miss_Bourginskay likes this.
  5. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Jun 7, 2016

The only reason I would wait would be if they change the movement. I forget if the METAS would only be done on certain movements due to some of the movements not having the specs.

6. billyblue Jun 7, 2016

If I remember correctly, Al Archer said that there are certain changes done to the existing movements to make certain they pass METAS. Minor changes perhaps, but still...

Foo2rama likes this.
  7. thatonewatchdude Jun 7, 2016

its a change of materials, they use nickel phosphorous through the LIGA process and also use NIVAgauss (material unknown)

8. Gaurav Jun 7, 2016

Thank you everyone for your responses.

Can anyone pls confirm if AT master coaxial already meets METAS standards for accuracy (0 to +5 secs)? Even though not officially certified.

Thanks.

9. billyblue Jun 7, 2016

In short: Nobody can.

10. CanberraOmega Rabbitohs and Whisky Supporter Jun 7, 2016

Some individual movements might happen to be operating in that range, but you can't be sure any particular watch will be

11. thatonewatchdude Jun 7, 2016

Actually it does not because it has not been tested yet, the caliber 8900 has been tested but metas certification doesn't just test the caliber but the entire timepiece is actually tested it goes through a criteria of 8 extensive tested overseen by METAS, it may meet the standards of METAS testing but since t has not been tested it does not meet the standards until it actually has been tested.

12. Cosd Jun 8, 2016

Though I haven't kept an eye on mine for a while, when I first got it and was keeping an eye on it for a few weeks, I was pleasantly surprised that it was operating at less than a second (+) per day. A few months later and I'm really not that bothered. If accuracy is your thing then maybe quartz is your way forward!

If you like the watch get it, by the time you wait for the next generation, it will be old hat and new technology will be on the horizon. You'll end up never buying one as you're waiting for the latest......

Cos

13. billyblue Jun 8, 2016

This is why I don't have any Omega in my collection right now...despite Omega being my favourite watch brand [emoji19]
    Somehow I don't understand their politics, many customers will be confused what technolgies their watch has and has not.

14. MSNWatch Vintage Omega Aficionado Staff Member Jun 8, 2016

I personally don't think this is a big issue especially if the METAS certification will come with a price bump. Omega has been making movements for about a century that have the capability to meet the METAS standard (makes you wonder how many of these "high-tech" developments have real world measurable benefits vs use as marketing fodder). And remember even the watches that are METAS certified, keep in mind that certification holds only for the period of testing - probably under ideal conditions not representative of real world conditions. Certainly no guarantee that this level of accuracy will hold true with regular wearing or with the passage of time.

15. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Jun 8, 2016

Won't it be that Omega will be accredited to do their own certification ?
    Agree with above its certified once then..............

16. Gaurav Jun 8, 2016

Thank you Cosd and MSNWatch for the assuring & comforting comments/views.

I think I am being paranoid given I will spending some hefty amount......and got drawn into this additional METAS assurance thing, which I agree is more of a psychological than anything else.

Also read on the Omega website that their chronometers are tested for accuracy of -1/+6, which is quite close to METAS +0/+5.

17. Gaurav Jun 9, 2016

Now you are making it really hard for me to decide :)

Edited Jun 9, 2016
    meganfox17 likes this.
  18. Cosd Jun 9, 2016

So you get a card where you can log onto a website and check the accuracy of your watch was on a specific date! Which would have no baring of the accuracy of your watch on the day you are checking it :)

19. Nobel Prize Spell Master! Jun 9, 2016

Honestly who the F!@#$ cares! I assure you both the co-axial and the master co-axial are fine watches and will get you wherever you're trying to go in time...

I mean, we're talking a variant of a couple of seconds at most....what exactly is going to happen to you during a couple of seconds if you're late, or early?

If it's worth it to you to wait a couple of years or even months just so you get another seal on the dial then wait for 2030 when Super-Atomic Space gravitational specs are applied to Omega watches.

Nitzbar and STANDY like this.
  20. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Jun 9, 2016

Know how that worked out last time...........Quartz :whistling:

Miss_Bourginskay and Nobel Prize like this.