Forums Latest Members
  1. hockey Sep 7, 2020

Back several years ago I had the foresight to snag several of the limited edition 1894/1994 anniversary dials that came up for sale on ebay. Omega made a few models 30 mm "1894" to commemorate the centenary (1894-1994) of the famous 19" calibre.
    After much trial and error, I found a perfect vintage case to fit these beautiful dials (see page 498 in AJTT). The Omega Tresor case in 18k red gold, case ref# 2896 was found to fit the 1894 dial perfectly. I posted the first iteration a few years ago. On the left is how the Tresor came from the factory. On the right is the anniversary dial.

316fbd31-fd99-4c96-8e90-1611daf9f809.jpg
    After wearing this watch on and off for a few years, I came to really admire the 2896 case reference - some of what I like, it is a relatively thin watch and is a good size at 36 mm in diameter, excluding crown. I managed to find another nice version, and this time installed the black dial.
    The picture on the left is how the Tresor came from the factory, on the right has the newer dial. I replaced the incorrect crown and installed "leaf" hands which I like the best.

1a.jpg

The black dial is very beautiful and with my poor photography skills, very difficult to photograph. On the wrist, it is a stunner compared to the relatively plain dial as original from the factory.
    1d.jpg

1b.jpg

Yes, I did keep the original dials. To share some useful information for the forum, the dials are all interchangeable with case ref# 2890 - 36 mm, 2896 - 36 mm, and believe it or not, the large 39 mm case ref# 2544. I've temporarily parked the Tresor dials in a 2890 and a 2544. Both dials on these watches as original were kind of boring in my personal opinion, and placing the Tresor dials in the 2890 and 2544 cases kind up up-scaled them a bit.
    1c.jpg

Overall, I'm pretty happy with the result of this little experiment. These are my watches and I will wear them and enjoy them. If I ever decide to sell them, I will put back to original condition and sell the dials so that someone else might enjoy them as I have. A couple of hundred Omega's have passed through my hands, and although I don't post very much, I continue to enjoy this hobby - both with vintage pieces and modern.

I have this dial too - I wonder if it will fit a 2620?

1894.jpg

malilis, Zapatta, MtV and 2 others like this.
  2. MSNWatch Vintage Omega Aficionado Staff Member Sep 7, 2020

Nice to see you back in action Phil! For those of you who didn't know, @hockey was the one who got me started collecting vintage omegas way back when. He then introduced me to the veterans - @Bill Sohne, @mac_omega, Chuck Maddox, @mondodec and the rest is history.

3. watchyouwant ΩF Clairvoyant Sep 7, 2020

Very nice, well executed ! I like the blue one. And Phil...who ? Kind regards from Oz. Achim

4. Nitrodog Sep 7, 2020

Those are beautiful, the blue dial is amazing