Forums Latest Members
  1. The Father Went out for smokes in ‘78 not seen since May 31, 2021

upload_2021-5-31_11-37-58.jpeg

My dads friend from his little hometown in Iowa.
    Bob at rest in Arizona
    Bob Fry was a door gunner in a B-17 in Europe. Defied all the odds and flew about a 100 missions.
    Bob like my dad was one of those guys you never knew how they served since they never brought it up.

allwoundup, ATWG, Horoticus and 17 others like this.
  2. kingsrider Thank you Sir! May I have another? May 31, 2021

My Uncle (mothers brother)

[​IMG]
    John

Cocoa Beach, FL

John , passed away, on Sunday, July 20, 2014, at the age of 92. He was one of Cocoa Beach's true pioneers. John was born and grew up in Michigan, until World War II. At the age of 18, in order to support his mother, two sisters and brother, he joined the U.S. Army and became a member of the Parachute Infantry, Airborne Division. This division was one of the most elite fighting forces at that time. These paratroopers's were by far the highest paid soldiers in the army, and undertook some of the most dangerous missions. He earned, and was awarded, the Silver Star and Purple Heart for his valor.

Edited May 31, 2021
    8100_RPM, ATWG, Horoticus and 11 others like this.
  3. kingsrider Thank you Sir! May I have another? May 31, 2021

Resting place of my other Uncle John (fathers brother) another WWII Veteran, Bushnell National Cemetary, Florida
    IMG_0275.JPG

4. pdxleaf ... May 31, 2021

20210531_142422.jpg

Dad's reflections for his church's Memorial day bulletin before he passes away.

He served two separate tours. Shared Scoutmaster duties with a Vietnamese Captain for a boy scout troop.

He never went to the DC Wall. Couldn't do it.

Still hard to read it without tearing up.

5. kingsrider Thank you Sir! May I have another? May 31, 2021

There must be more stories.

6. wagudc May 31, 2021

My great-grandfather served in the US Navy in Asia during WWI. He was awarded a purple heart when he a shell hit his ship and he was burned. They were fighting the bulshoviks in Valdavostok.

My grandfather-in-law fought in the trenches in France during WWI and was gassed. According to my father-in-law his lungs were permanently damaged.

My paternal grandfather trained in the Army Air Corps during WWII, but had to be dismissed for medical reasons.

My maternal grandfather was training to invade the Japanese homeland, but did not have to because our scientists invented the most horrible weapon the world has ever experienced.

My friend's Dad was an Army cook stationed in Saigon during Vietnam. He had an 8mm video camera and I got to see footage of the city. The most memorable part was the film of the floating latrine, where the guys crapped straight into the river.

All of these guys are no longer with us and I'm remembering them today.

Edited May 31, 2021
    kingsrider and pdxleaf like this.
  7. wagudc May 31, 2021

Since this is a watch forum here is my well-preserved Waltham A-11. A model worn by many aviators and paratroopers who gave their lives to stop Hitler.

20210531_191737.jpg 20210531_191702.jpg

8. marcn Enough space to say witty May 31, 2021

This is about the best thing I've read -- in any medium -- in a very long time. Very moving indeed.

nurseford25 and pdxleaf like this.