Forums Latest Members

Meeting fellow member friend in London

1. seamonster Respectable Member Jul 14, 2013

Respectable Member Privateday7

It is a lovely watch. Are the hands and markers in white gold, as well as, is it vintage by chance?

I think your watch collection is only second biggest in Indonesia, when comparing to the then President Soeharto's.

Thank-you.

2. Dablitzer Jul 14, 2013

They do indeed belong to Tom which automatically makes them cool. Even better is I ordered them from eBay thinking they were Blue! Fashion faux pas that turned out well in the end... Especially with all the attention the've been getting lately! They are even made from Cord. :p

3. cicindela Steve @ ΩF Staff Member Jul 14, 2013

Hey Dennis, they even have camo shark model just for fisherman :thumbsup: :p

!Bm05!L!!mk~$(KGrHqEH-D8EuDDnkEgwBLhDlYVI(Q~~_3.jpg

Dablitzer likes this.
  4. Privateday7 quotes Miss Universe Jul 14, 2013

Dear respectable member seamonster,
    Yes, the markers, bezel and hands are in white gold. It is not really a vintage yet, but not a modern either. It was produced in 1993. Borrowing terminology from car enthusiast it is a 'young timer' (in between vintage and modern).

My Omega collection is still tiny. Several collectors in Indonesia have more than 100 Omegas. Unfortunately they are not active in any internet forum.
    However compare to President Soeharto's my collection is bigger, since he was an avid Rolex user and maybe few cases of Pateks ;) .

5. seamonster Respectable Member Jul 15, 2013

Yes, usually an expensive watch like yours has a white gold bezel, too.

A 'young timer' will soon become an 'old timer', if it is well-maintained.

It does not surprise me, your ex-President is more bent towards Rolex. I have asked this question, several times and each time I get a variety of answers, as to why generally Asians and of course the Americans too, prefer Rolex to other more established brand-names, like Patek Philippe and Audemars Piguet, etc.

In Singapore and Hong Kong, Rolex is looked upon as a god of watches. Now I learn the Indonesians too, love Rolex watches. Why is this so, you think? (I realize this may not be the correct place to put forward this question, though.)

As for me, I just love any watch, from the simple Cyma Watersport and all the way to the mighty Patek Philippe Perpetual Calendar Moon-phase, as long as, its dial and case turn me on.

Thank-you.

6. Privateday7 quotes Miss Universe Jul 15, 2013

This is my hypothesis, which based on loose observation.
    The marketing engine of Rolex is second to none, and at the right timing. I mean during 1970-1980 when first Asia booming happened. Once the perception is there, it is difficult to change. Then followed by liquidity effect: Because it is the most sought after, then it become the most liquid, then it become the best investment vehicle because you would lose very little, even gain most of the time.
    If I buy a newer Rolex (2005 and younger) the store will give 5% discount buy back guarantee up to 2 years. For older Rolex it is 10% discount buy back. By comnparison for other brands it is 20% discount buy back.
    If a non WIS wanted to buy a luxury watch it is almost non-brainer decision.

Thank you.

7. seamonster Respectable Member Jul 15, 2013

Your line of reasoning is indeed very sound and I agree, the re-sale value of a Rolex, whether new or vintage is indeed very attractive. The same cannot be said, regarding other established brand-names. This is unfortunate.

Thank-you.

8. Melhadary Jul 17, 2013

Respectable members Privateday7 and Dablitzer, that is one truly awesome get-together brought about by the love of these beautiful time pieces, and this great forum!

Great thread and shared experience, thanks Herianto and Alex for sharing!

Next step.... joint flea-market hunt sessions in the middle east by a swarm of ΩF members ;)

9. AuBuyer Posh Nouveau Yank Jul 17, 2013

Even The Duke wore espadrilles..

espadrilles.jpg
    Dablitzer likes this.
  10. AuBuyer Posh Nouveau Yank Jul 17, 2013

So did Bogie..

espadrilles 2.jpg
  11. cicindela Steve @ ΩF Staff Member Jul 17, 2013

My dad worn them on a cruise in '83 . Everyone wanted to know where he got them (they were out of vogue at the time). His answer, "Kmart $1.99"

12. Privateday7 quotes Miss Universe Jul 17, 2013

Can't wait for that............:thumbsup:

13. LouS Mrs Nataf's Other Son Staff Member Jul 17, 2013

This forum is like tennis. Someone serves, you gotta hit it back...

14. ulackfocus Jul 17, 2013

Man, I love this place. :p It's a little like Joizey, but a more polite style of ball busting without the cursing and fisticuffs.

Dablitzer likes this.
  15. MMMD unaffiliated curmudgeonly absurdist & polyologist Jul 17, 2013

Man I wish I could un-see this picture. :eek:

Dablitzer likes this.
  16. Dablitzer Jul 17, 2013

whats wrong..? I've got those shorts too.. :p

17. MMMD unaffiliated curmudgeonly absurdist & polyologist Jul 17, 2013

Yikes. He's got better gams than the dame.

Next you're going to tell me his real name was Marion.

18. ulackfocus Jul 17, 2013

There's something VERY wrong with camel toe on a guy. :eek:

19. MMMD unaffiliated curmudgeonly absurdist & polyologist Jul 17, 2013

Yes. Precisely the part I need to unsee.

20. Melhadary Jul 17, 2013

:eek: I need to un-see this part of the conversation.... that's Marion Mitchell, oooops, um.... John Wayne, we're talking about!!

A bit of a distraction here.... what watch would he be wearing to match that lovely fashion combo, do you think?