Forums Latest Members

Maximum wrist size, Speedmaster 42mm

1. superclarkey Jan 31, 2016

Hi totally new here come seeking some advice.

I have just ordered a Speedmaster from Goldsmiths (could have got it cheaper online) but my first proper watch so I wanted to know I have someone to go back to if any problems etc.

I did my research and went for the 311.30.42.30.01.005 (hope that's right just remembered it off the top of my head, eek).

I was unable to try it on in store as they didn't have one so I had to just order it, now this is my worry I have large wrists and normally struggle with getting watches to fit, I measured my lefty and it's 8.25" so need at least 8.5" I think for it to be comfortable, I have searched and searched and no where does it say max wrist size, just I can see 4 new links come in the box etc.

can someone tell me if the watch will fit when I add all the links? And if not should Goldsmiths get them for me or will I have to pay extra? If it was you would you demand they sort that out at there cost or is that my problem lol

If I have to pay can I get them cheaper direct from Omega?

I guess you need to buy them in x2 otherwise it will be uneven or doesn't it matter?

I was only able to get 12% off asking price on the high street, so if the links are really expensive each I might refund it and get off the watch online as its 20% cheaper then what they are asking etc.

Thanks in advance, really excited and worried it's not going to fit.

Appreciate all help.

OSP likes this.
  2. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Jan 31, 2016

You might get away with 8.5" but if you don't, you'll likely have to pay for extras depending on how generous they are, they're not too expensive though. You don't need to buy in pairs, if you have an uneven number you just always put more links on the 12 O'Clock side which gives the watch more tilt towards you when its on your wrist.

Most people prefer it a bit that way so the watch is facing you and you don't have to do that flick thing to get the head more in your direction or tilt your wrist too much.

OSP, ctime3 and superclarkey like this.
  3. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Jan 31, 2016

Get them to size it for you btw, if you're lucky they might comp the extra links if needed otherwise they'll usually have them on hand.

4. superclarkey Jan 31, 2016

Thanks for the quick reply, I'm still trying to find a definitive answer on the matter, suprised that Omega don't list such things as you might think sizing of an item that has to fit you is kinda important...erm.

Is it wise to trust them to resize it for me in store? Don't get the feeling they have an Omega service centre hanging out the back, bit worried about letting them loose on it...

On the other hand if I take it away they are going to say it's my problem I guess.

Cheers.

5. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Jan 31, 2016

Its a screw on each end with a bushing in the middle, they'll have the correct size screwdriver, so its not too complicated, they should be better than doing it yourself at least. Sizing isn't complicated enough to need a watchmaker or a service centre.

6. superclarkey Jan 31, 2016

If they allow me to do it myself I'll do that, I'm a motorsport engineer so I should be able to drop out two screw pin cap retainers and drive a pin out hehe but they might be funny about it I don't know, tbh sooner do it myself then let anyone else touch it.

Will be hard for me to send it for service as I normally fix everything I own myself... But has to be done I guess.

Can I ask what I'm likely to pay to have it serviced and is it really 4-5years between services? I had a look on omega site and it says depends on age of caliber, but was unsure as this 1861 96' wasn't it, or do they class it when the 861 originally came out?

Was going to ask this when I collected the watch but incase they lie to me be nice to know what I should and shouldn't be doing and what I should be paying.

I intend to wear it daily and look after it very well.

P.s what does a new screen cost in plexi glass (can't spell the heselite) maybe that's close lol

7. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Jan 31, 2016

New crystals are cheap, like $30-60 or something, service from an independent watchmaker isn't too bad on these, I pay about $350-400 AUD or so, but it depends on the guy you use.

8. yinzerniner Jan 31, 2016

So with the new bracelet with the screw in links UNLESS they provided you with extras off the bat (highly unlikely) you will need to purchase extra ones.
    The new screw in links bracelet usually comes with four links "fixed" into each other and three removable on each side. The clasp only allows a single notch of sizing adjustment if i remember correctly. The 14 total provided links can fit about an 8" wrist, so you'll need extra links can get pricey (usually min $45 a piece).
    If you purchase the watch with a minimal discount then they might provide extras for free.
    An alternative is the earlier model bracelet with still the case. It is a 1998 and usually came with 8 fixed and 8 pink style links which in total fit a 8.25" wrist, with cheaper replacement links and the possibility of adding a half link from the Speedy-style Seamaster bracelets to fit correctly. That bracelet also weighs significantly less.
    As for "evening" out the links it's usually not that much a problem since the clasp for the Speedy is somewhat small so moving it +/-4mm each way won't effect wearability, but you have to find out yourself. Try on a few other bracelets and take a picture of the line where the clasp get uncomfortable to either the thumb or the pinky side, then compare it to the Speedy one you get it in.
    Service intervals and price vary widely, but they usually mean from the date of first purchase and they usually cost anywhere between 350-800 depending on the work being done. However, this could also be misleading since Omegas don't come with a "born on" date so you could have a watch sold today whose movement was put together and oiled years ago. Every watch is different . but if you want to be on the safe side get it serviced every 5 years after you purchase it. 7 years if you like to live dangerously, and shorter if you treat it very rough or expose it to inclement conditions.

gttime likes this.
  9. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Feb 1, 2016

Pretty sure they will be able to get the links if not on hand they will be able to order. If not sized on pick up, get them to put it on a leather strap and leave the bracelet to pick up another day resized and ready for you to try on in store. Taking the undersized bracelet does not give them as much importance to get the links and resize. If you have to pay for links that's life no need to sweat the small stuff.

10. superclarkey Feb 1, 2016

Thanks for the advice, really appreciate it guys.

I won't be throwing my toys out the pram if they won't pay for them I just wanted to know if I was normal for them to sort it out or not, I would only buy genuine links regardless of what they cost.

Is there any online places to buy genuine stuff from?

11. ulackfocus Feb 1, 2016

8.25" wrists? Good Gawd man, are you a grizzly bear? :p

12. superclarkey Feb 1, 2016

Just very manly :D

13. superclarkey Feb 1, 2016

Just spoken with goldsmiths and they said that my watch should be arriving tomorrow (pretends not to her excited) and that they said they have ordered two watches so they can steal the links from that and replace them later, they said the first two links are free then after that it's on my head. I spoke to someone else there as the person dealing with me wasn't there, so hopefully this is a fact. Be nice if it is, but I can now say I was told they where free :)

I would say I'll post some pictures tomorrow but I'm sure everyone is bored of seeing the same watch over and over again lol

Fingers crossed it all fits nicely tomorrow.

14. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Feb 1, 2016

Same watch maybe but on a grizzly,s wrist :cool::cool:

Edited Feb 1, 2016
  15. superclarkey Feb 1, 2016

Lol, what size NATO strap does this watch take, 20mm?

16. Tritium Feb 1, 2016

Si

17. superclarkey Feb 2, 2016

gracias señor

18. superclarkey Feb 2, 2016

Thanks for all your help guys, have the watch now so very happy, even if they scratched the bracelet changing links (boo) but love the watch :)

Just worried about scratching the glass on it, is it really not that expensive if you mash it up?

19. wayneG Feb 2, 2016

Just wear it :) Make sure you buy some Polywatch as this will remove most normal scratches. Just use it say every 6 months and get that new watch feeling again. There are Speedsters still around from 1957 so you'll have to be pretty hard on the watch to majorly affect things.

Enjoy and please do post photos, thanks :)

20. superclarkey Feb 3, 2016

Haha for the price I'll be wearing it always haha not going to baby it, will just get it serviced every 3 years and I bought some polywatch last night so I'm happy that I'll give it a light clean each month.

Reason wanted this watch to wear it daily and get some good use out of it. :)

It's no good in the box is it lol