Forums Latest Members
  1. shishy www.hpmor.com Jun 11, 2018

Heading to Maui in a couple weeks, staying for about 7 days. Thought I'd ask for recommendations here from anyone who's been, though I've bugged a few friends already. Got a car the whole time, and the only major commitments we have are a luau, some snorkeling, and probably a two day trip to Road to Hana that I still need to map out.

Saw a bunch of other stuff like checking out sunrises, zip lining, lavender farm, etc. but any advice or recommendations are welcome :).

2. Dan S Jun 11, 2018

In my recollection, some of the best snorkeling is on the "black rock" reef by the Sheraton Kaanapali. Or if you are scuba divers, it is a fantastic night dive.

shishy likes this.
  3. ulackfocus Jun 11, 2018

Make sure you rent a convertible and drive on Hana Highway.

Go have a loco moco at Sam Soto's in Wailuku.

Be a tourist and shop at Hilo Hatti's in Lahaina.

Wryfox, gostang9 and shishy like this.
  4. larryganz The cable guy Jun 12, 2018

I loved Maui. My avatar is of me in Maui wearing my Maui Dive Shop hat.

We took a bus tour for the Road to Hana, and it was nice to relax and still get to make stops and take photos, and it included food. But Your 2 day trip sounds fun too.We also went to a luau which was fun.

You didn't mention doing this, but our kids took surfing lessons, and they did well. I already knew how, but it was worth it in addition to snorkeling. Also, since we were there for a week, we rented goggles and snorkles and fins for the week at Maui Dive Shop.

We also went to the Maui aquarium - I don't remember much about the aquarium except that I liked it more than the one in Seattle but not as much as the one in Monterey CA.

Another thing you didn't mention was the Telescope Observatory on the mountain. I couldn't go with my lung disease, but the wife and kids went up there and really enjoyed the drive to and back.

We also enjoyed doing the "Snuba diving" on the Pride of Maui snorkle tour, and got to see a lot of wildlife including George here (snuba = tethered scuba tank floating 20 feet above us). George is what the kids named him, and was most interested in our guide. YOU MUST TRY THIS (OR SCUBA DIVE if you're certified).

DSC09411.jpg
    DSC09433.jpg
    And this guy
    DSC09383.jpg
    Me with my waterproof camera, taken by my wife with her waterproof camera (I've lost about 25 lbs since then).
    DSC09450.jpg
    My kids and wife snuba diving
    DSC09441.jpg
    P1010084.jpg
    P1010093.jpg

Kmart, Deafboy, Nathan1967 and 3 others like this.
  5. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Jun 12, 2018

Tip
    Lunch at many of the coffee roasters/shops is better than some of the lunch only places

shishy likes this.
  6. The Father Went out for smokes in ‘78 not seen since Jun 12, 2018

You won’t need to map out Hana
    The road is a circle
    I always kept on going and did the entire island

Hope you have a Jeep or a convertible.

Bike down the big mountain. I would spell it but it has too many damn letters. Rent your own bikes, get dropped off and coast on down

7. UncleBuck understands the decision making hierarchy Jun 12, 2018

Agree with this.
    Also, sailing on racing yacht America II with the whales out of Lahaina, the chocolate souffle' at Roy's.

8. MMMD unaffiliated curmudgeonly absurdist & polyologist Jun 12, 2018

Stargazing on Haleakala before the sunrise is mind-blowing... cold as hell though at 10,000 feet pre-dawn so bring layers, hat, gloves. Cowboy country on the slopes of the volcano is interesting. Some amazing volcanic landscapes on the way down.
    6E435F7F-C557-450C-86C4-3383A4F115CB.jpeg

gemini4 and Wryfox like this.
  9. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Jun 12, 2018

The Road to Hana has been mentioned, and I know you already have it planned. It's not something you want to miss...bit of video from the drive we did a couple of years ago..

There are a ton of places you will want to stop and see along the way. If you like to hike, then hiking the waterfalls is a good one...few snaps from that hike...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

It can be a fairly easy hike or more advanced depending on how far you go along the trail.

There's some climbing up ropes and rickety ladders involved. Me bear the top of said rickety ladder - I had to climb one rope to get to the bottom of the ladder, and you can see to get any further would require climbing a second rope above the ladder.

[​IMG]

My advice is to not wear flip flops (as I saw people doing on this trail), but some decent footwear that gives you some traction. But even when it's not raining parts of the trail are quite slippery due to the water splashing everywhere.

Yes, it's good...

[​IMG]

But this was one of the best meals I've ever eaten...

[​IMG]

It was at a resort restaurant owned by Top Chef contestant Sheldon Simeon.

Personally I'm more a fan of the Big Island than Maui, as Maui is much more tourist oriented, but still we enjoyed our time there.

Have a great trip!

Cheers, Al

Kmart, shishy and gostang9 like this.
  10. dwboston Jun 12, 2018

We've been to Maui twice - I think it's the most beautiful place in the world. We've stayed at Wailea both times - Four Seasons the first time on our honeymoon in 2005 and the Grand Wailea last year. Both were great and the beach there is awesome. On the most recent trip we did a sunset dinner cruise out of Maalaea Harbor (where the Coast Guard station is) that went down to Lahaina - It was great (and I'm not a boat guy). Amazing views, beautiful sunset, and we saw a bunch of whales. My son (8 at the time) loved it. If you're doing a luau, make sure it's the Old Lahaina Luau - we've done that twice and had a great time. Enjoy your trip!

IMG_20170323_175622.jpg IMG_20170323_184105.jpg IMG_20170323_185259.jpg IMG_20170323_180719.jpg IMG_20170323_182553.jpg

11. DesignerV Jun 12, 2018

12. Wryfox Jun 12, 2018

THIS. With a CONVERTIBLE. So sublime its divine.

Stop at the waterfalls.

Also a drive up Haleakala. Get up there for the Sunrise, the sense of peace is existential. You'll want to stay there...it will be hard to drive back to paradise below.

Hawaii Day 9 007.jpg Hawaii Day 9 008.jpg Hawaii Day 9 011.jpg Hawaii Day 9 015.jpg Hawaii Day 9 044.jpg Hawaii Day 9 047.jpg Hawaii Day 9 048.jpg Hawaii Day 9 079.jpg

13. rb10chris Jun 12, 2018

Scuba is my fav activity on any island by far, I would definitely look for a scuba tour or something more advanced if you have a license.
    https://www.mauidiveshop.com/

14. The Father Went out for smokes in ‘78 not seen since Jun 12, 2018

Snorkeling out at the Molokini crescent is pretty good too

On road to Hana make sure you have cash in your pocket in case a salesman on a bike pops out of woods with some Maui wowie........

15. SteveZ28 Jun 12, 2018

I suggest Mama's fish house if you're looking for an amazing meal just outside Kihei.

There are plenty of great stops along the road to Hana. Thai food by Pranee is a really good lunch spot.

Make sure you stop off at the black sand beach and red sand beach.

(Red Sand Beach) hike to the cove just around the corner.
    IMG_6915.jpg

The Eucalyptus Trees are quite a sight as well. (Road to Hana)
    IMG_6938.jpg

The Sunset up at Haleakala is stunning, just make sure to bring a jacket as it gets quite chilly up there.
    IMG_7008.jpg

Enjoy your trip!

IMG_6959.jpg
  16. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Jun 12, 2018

They certainly are...

[​IMG]

SteveZ28 likes this.
  17. BPD Jun 12, 2018

NIce! I try to go to Hawaii yearly and I usually go to the Big Island since it's my favourite island. However, I have been to Maui many times and will be heading there this October to watch the Xterra World Championship.

Here are some more things to do and see, my opinion of course:

1. Makena Beach aka Big Beach (keep in mind that there is a nude area on the north side of the beach)
    2. Honolua Bay for snorkelling
    3. Ho'okipa Beach for windsurfing and turtle watching (great fresh fruits available along with Mama's Fish House restaurant around the corner)
    4. Maui Brewery in Kihei if you like craft beer
    5. Food trucks by Lahaina airport (close to the Costco)

Makena Beach
    PICT_20161116_124700[1].JPG

Ho'okipa Beach
    IMAG0034[1].jpg