Forums Latest Members
  1. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Jul 27, 2012

So I've got chronic back pain from a broken Sealy bed from 1984 with a mattress that's turned to mush, and I'm wondering what the difference is between a $500 solution and a $5000 solution, and whether the difference is worth it...

Is there anyone in the house that has such knowledge? 0_o

2. ulackfocus Jul 27, 2012

I guess it depends on which $500 and $5000 solution you had in mind. :p

Are you saying your mattress is older than you by nearly a generation?

3. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Jul 27, 2012

Well... apparently I was made on it =\

4. ulackfocus Jul 27, 2012

So you're saying that if not for this mattress Omega Forums might not exist?

5. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Jul 27, 2012

Well, no, dad has always had a talent for improvisation.

That said, what should I spend without being ripped off and what is worth buying, as an industry insider?

6. ulackfocus Jul 27, 2012

Don't get ANYTHING that uses Chinese foam. No regulation on it's manufacture and it often off-gases toxic fumes (yes, I expect you guys to use that as your straight line :rolleyes: ).

If you go with an innerspring mattress get one that has individually pocketed coils. Each coil is in it's own little baggy and can operate independently of the others. It's more comfortable and can conform to your body better. There's also less motion if you have a partner (temporarily or permanently ;)). We've had a Simmons Beautyrest for several years and it's been great.

If you go with a memory foam mattress, buy the best you can afford. The two brands that are head & shoulders above the rest are Tempurpedic and Comforpedic. Windy & I are getting a Comforpedic - which should tell you all you need to know about which one I think is better for us. BTW, that's also made by Simmons.

Latex foam has one major issue that no salesperson (on commission) will tell you - if there's a layer of Tallalay latex thicker than 1.5" (@ 4 cm) it will sag within a couple years. That type of foam just doesn't hold up. They blow too much air into it to make if feel fluffy and soft for it to have the necessary substance. We call latex mattresses like that, particularly the pillowtops, boomerang beds because we know they'll come right back at us with warranty complaints.

Also, don't fall for those "green" mattresses. There's always some chemicals used unless you find a guy who lives off the grid to stuff a home made hemp sack with straw. Remember that synthetic material is usually more consistent and durable than it's natural counterpart.

Lastly, don't think you need a hard mattress. You aren't a cube so you can't be comfortable on a slab. Hard and firm mean the same in English but not in Mattress. Firm is on the inside, and the bed doesn't have to be hard on the top to give good support. Firm-ish support with a comfortable top layer or two is the way to go. You want the mattress to conform to the way you sleep; you don't want to be tossing and turning because you can't get comfortable due to pain in your shoulders or hips from pressure. I'm not saying to get a marshmellow either.... go somewhere in the middle. When you feel comfortable after laying on your side for 3 to 5 minutes - no pain or pressure building up - then you're on the right track.

Trev and Jacquot like this.
  7. cicindela Steve @ ΩF Staff Member Jul 27, 2012

I want to see how your going to get this on the plane ::popcorn::
    in-milehigh-larddddddge.jpg

bob martian and Trev like this.
  8. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Jul 27, 2012

Yea I'm buying locally not getting Dennis to put a postage stamp on one and mail it lol

Its just that as soon as you walk into one of those places, the salesman (trained by Dennis' counterpart in Australia) know that a 25 year old bloke wearing a Rolex is a commission in the making and know I'm too ignorant to know anything lol

9. cicindela Steve @ ΩF Staff Member Jul 27, 2012

Time to pull out the Guess watch

10. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Jul 27, 2012

I don't own a Guess watch lol..

Maybe I'll wear my cheap $200 Seamaster =D

[​IMG]

11. cicindela Steve @ ΩF Staff Member Jul 27, 2012

Yep , that will fool them.

12. Trev The Architect Staff Member Jul 28, 2012

Interesting how this thread has just popped up. We've started our mattress hunt, and it's over-whelming to say the least. It's even worse in Australia where you get some sellers just charging whatever the hell the want, with no regard for market value or competition. Need to weed those out first.

Thanks for the info, Dennis :)

13. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Jul 28, 2012

That's just it really, none of us know shit about the topic, and when there's a $100 mattress, and a $5,000 mattress we have to guess as to whether a mattress is worth its price on that scale...

14. speedycosmograph Speedmasterus Pontificatus Jul 28, 2012

Those great sleep number ads are tempting, right? Ash, you could have one setting for yourself and another setting for your watches. Honestly, I think if you stick with a reputable name...Sealy, Simmons, Serta, etc, you should just choose what you feel best on at the best price. None will last forever. My best advice: If you have Costco or Sams down under, buy from them. They carry good names at fair prices. And for a guy sleeping on a 1984 mattress, anything should feel great. I can't imagine using the mattress on which I had been conceived. That seems wrong somehow.

15. X350 XJR Vintage Omega Aficionado Jul 28, 2012

I've actually had a Sleep Number bed for about fifteen years and still love it.

I think they're available in AU, well worth trying out.

16. ulackfocus Jul 28, 2012

Sleep Number / Select Comfort air mattresses are not for everyone. Some love them, some don't - and they're awfully expensive for what they are. If you have the means and like it then go for it, but be sure to ask about cleaning & maintenance.

Be VERY wary of price club mattresses. Sometimes they're stripped down versions to hit a certain price point. Those retailers are about price more than quality. Sometimes you get a damn good deal. Other times you don't. I used to be a Sam's Club member, and have tried the other places (BJ Wholesale, Cosco) without finding them much different.

I don't like Serta products anymore. When I first started 20 years ago I was delivering beds. Sertas were f***ing heavy and we hated schlepping them up steps. Thickest wire in the coils, densest padding, a long lasting product. Now they're so light I can pick up queen matts with one hand. They've cut their quality to fit into the price clubs. Lower end Sealy Posturepedics are similarly light. It's tough to find a decent queen under $600 anymore but the lesser known names have a few. If they aren't spending $20,000,000 annually on advertising they can sell for lower margins.

Trev likes this.
  17. Trev The Architect Staff Member Aug 24, 2012

Searching for a mattress in Australia sucks. Even the Sealy type brands here are 2.5x the price on the same models. Since you're generally forced to shop in a retail store for mattresses, these shops still follow the old Aussie product distribution models, price collusion, etc. Frustrating. For other industries the internet helps level things out a lot more :)

18. Steve Aug 24, 2012

Duuuude.... To much information !.

19. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Sep 2, 2012

Dennis what's your position on used mattresses, Trev says they're disgusting filthy disease infested and so on. I recon as long as you have a mattress protector, electric blanket, sheets down on it, any intermingling of bodily fluids and dead skin is impossible

20. MSNWatch Vintage Omega Aficionado Staff Member Sep 2, 2012

Just don't buy one from a hospital!