Forums Latest Members

Master Coaxial 8500 reliability and value retention

1. Tiger8888 May 5, 2017

I should first state that I am technically not on par with some of the experts on this forum, but my question is "are these movements as good as the hype suggests?"
    My Aqua Terra seems to be very reliable, cranks up easily, holds its reserve as advertised, is three years old with no service needed for a couple more...but I still hear Rolex lovers (and a good friend leading the pack) preferring their movements over these. Is this valid?
    I also notice value on these ATs seems to diminish with mine 30% below rrp now. Have they made too many? Is the Rolex "premium" and role as an alternate currency mean they continue to dominate on the value spectrum?
    I was led to believe these 8500s were technically advanced and reliability and long service intervals particularly appealing.
    Would appreciate any education. Thanks.

image.jpeg

Jones in LA likes this.
  2. Jones in LA Isofrane hoarder. May 5, 2017

Personally I don't think the relative merits of a modern-day Rolex caliber vs. Omega could be compared until the watches are 50+ years old -- it would take that long to maybe determine whether or not the coaxial escapement yielded a longer service life as Omega claims. The ability of Rolex watches to hold their value so well is not due to technical superiority, but rather, to Rolex's marketing superiority: Rolex is the world's most recognizable brand of anything.

You've got a beautiful watch, by the way :)

Foo2rama and Tiger8888 like this.
  3. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member May 5, 2017

They were always available a bit below MSRP on the grey market which accounts for a lot of the sort of perceived depreciation, they're a beautiful watch though especially in blue and my dad loves wearing his (pre master co-axial version).

The perceived Rolex premium may start to come into question over the next few years as the far more modern Calibre 3235 movement replaces the updated but fundamentally ancient Calibre 3135 in all of their lines. I'm sure there will be some that try very hard to market 3135 Submariners as rare and desirable in decades to come but they were made in Toyota-esque numbers so that'll be a difficult trick convincing people that they're anything other than common and inferior to the new 3235s.

Tiger8888 and Jones in LA like this.
  4. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker May 5, 2017

The 8500 has had it's share of problems already...hour hand synchronization problems, DLC coated barrel problems, and premature pivot wear on the balance staff on the anti-magnetic versions. The fact is that all movements go through these growing pains, so a Rolex 3135 made back in 1988 won't be the same as one made recently, so all brands make subtle changes over time to address problems that crop up.

It's way too early to say if the 8500 will be reliable long term, but in terms of increased service intervals, that is really just a marketing thing. There's a lot more to a watch than just an escapement, and no matter how maintenance free you make one parts of the watch, the other parts still need attention like they always did.

Cheers, Al

Lode_Runner, Willem023, U5512 and 3 others like this.
  5. Tiger8888 May 5, 2017

Thanks...very interesting

6. Tiger8888 May 5, 2017

Agreed. I've been looking at a 36mm Exp 1 and can't believe the price for a local daler's 2004 model...£3650! A used AT 8500 there is a £1000 cheaper to a 3 year old! Reliability of course is a different matter as I'll new Rolex movements coming in...that marketing machine is impressive.

7. yinzerniner May 5, 2017

I think you're oversimplifying the outside forces that determine consumer market pricing. Yes, actual quality/reliability of the movement, advertising, q factor, etc have a say, but other more fickle elements often produce the largest variations in selling/buying price.

And value is a completely subjective term, while price is objective. A beater watch which matches a wide swath of your outfit, keeps good time, and costs a pittance to service might be of greater inner "value" then the steel Patek triple calendar that never leaves the safe. Trying to determine "value" off of a single dealer's piece and other anecdotal evidence will only cloud your knowledge further.

In other words - it looks like you're looking for answers as to why Rolex prices are higher than Omega, and the answer as always is it's complicated.

8. Buster May 6, 2017

image.jpeg

There is nothing wrong with your watch. I have the same with a SS bracelet I wear everyday. I bought it because I think it's a beautiful watch. Don't let your Rolex friend rain on your parade.