Forums Latest Members
  1. aap Oct 11, 2016

Thought the UG sub-forum would be the proper place to post this. I just wanted to be illuminated about the history of Martel after seeing this Valjoux-powered Martel watch:
    http://www.timetitans.com/products/...s-market-38mm-1950s-stainless-steel-guilloche

I'm confused as to why they will use Valjoux considering Martel's stellar history as a movement maker for the likes of UG and Zenith. What was the story behind this? Thanks!

Drawarms likes this.
  2. gop76 Oct 11, 2016

3. aap Oct 11, 2016

4. LouS Mrs Nataf's Other Son Staff Member Oct 11, 2016

It wasn't. I have a the same thing you have in the past - Martel with a valjoux inside, and wondered the same.

5. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Oct 11, 2016

Panari had Rolex movements, Rolex had Zenith in the Daytona until the last decade. I think it used to happen a lot when a mfg did not have a movement with the right features or price point for a model they wanted to create.

6. LouS Mrs Nataf's Other Son Staff Member Oct 11, 2016

Foo, I think aapalileo asks his question precisely because that Martel DID have the movements with the right features. They had been making chronograph movements, in every permutation, since the 1920s. So why use a Valjoux?

aap likes this.
  7. jordn Wants to be called Frank for some odd reason Oct 11, 2016

The only problem with that line of thought is that Martel itself was one of the most prolific Swiss manufacturers of chronograph movements of many sizes. To my eyes, it serves to further muddy the waters of the manner in which UG attained the rights to use and distribute Martel movements and the manner in which Martel Watch Co. existed before its absorption by Zenith in 1958. Or perhaps there is something to the fact it is a French market (a very small market for chronographs) watch?

Dre, LouS and aap like this.
  8. Drawarms Oct 11, 2016

I saw this watch in person actually last night, very nice chronograph, pics don't do justice.

aap likes this.
  9. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Oct 11, 2016

Build to pricepoint, or demand was larger then their mfg capabilities.

10. LouS Mrs Nataf's Other Son Staff Member Oct 11, 2016

I think you are on to something with the French market. French law states that anything swiss manufactured watch has to be so marked on dial, case and movement. This one has dial. Perhaps Swiss dial, shipped to France for assembly in a French made case with a French assembled movement? And Martel may have decided to buy generic Valjoux 22s instead of shelling out import tax on Swiss Made cal 285s to meet a pricepoint, as Foo suggests?

aap likes this.