Forums Latest Members

Marks on Speedmaster FOIS case from Forstner end links

1. DoctorEvil Sep 15, 2022

Greetings all. About a year and a half ago, I decided to swap out the OEM leather strap on my Speedmaster FOIS for the Forstner flat link bracelet. Today I took the bracelet off with a view to possibly going back to the strap. To my dismay, I found that the end links have left marks on the case :(
    PXL_20220915_060108058.jpg PXL_20220915_060301873.jpg
    Whilst I like the bracelet and have found it super comfortable to wear, this development has left me feeling a bit concerned. Has anyone else experienced the same thing? How have you dealt with it? Will these marks come out with a bit of Silvo metal polish given that they're superficial? Thanks in advance for your responses.

Omegafanman and M'Bob like this.
  2. aleksejeremeev Sep 15, 2022

Try to remove scratches with CAPE COD Polishing Cloths

DoctorEvil likes this.
  3. M'Bob Sep 15, 2022

One idea is to polish the ends of the bracelet where it interfaces with the case, which might make for less future scratching.

marco, DoctorEvil and Twocats like this.
  4. Donn Chambers Sep 15, 2022

Could be the end links, could be grit getting in between the end links and case. I’ve had the same level of scratches using OEM bracelets on Omega and other brands of watches.

if you wear a watch, it’s gonna get scratches on it, and the inside and back of the lugs are exposed to lots of grit that gets trapped.

DoctorEvil likes this.
  5. scapa Sep 15, 2022

Yep -- I sanded mine down lightly, and popped a small piece of very thin 3M automotive protector tape between the lugs.

I'm not generally put off by earned scrapes on a watch, but previous experience with another aftermarket bracelet suggested caution.

OP, I'm sorry about you've just found on your FOIS. Those scratches don't look too deep and should polish out nicely.

Just out of interest, and because I have several Forstners and can't remember which is which, were those the hollow or solid end links?

Edited Sep 15, 2022
    DoctorEvil likes this.
  6. DoctorEvil Sep 15, 2022

These were the solid end links.

7. ExpiredWatchdog Sep 15, 2022

Geez, if you don't like that, never remove a bracelet from a vintage Rolex.

Donn Chambers and marco like this.
  8. DoctorEvil Sep 27, 2022

Thanks everyone for your responses and tips. Just want to post an update.
    I ordered some Cape Cod cloths via mail and it just arrived today. Unfortunately, after at least 15-20 minutes of polishing I wasn't able to get the scratches off. It might be a bit less obvious but they're still there. Looks like the Forstner flat link will be a permanent fixture on my FOIS now.
    PXL_20220927_110735038.jpg PXL_20220927_110704352.jpg

Duracuir1, Omegafanman and M'Bob like this.
  9. M'Bob Sep 27, 2022

Those cloths are great, but probably not aggressive enough.

If you really want to remove those scratches, you could try something like Simichrome. But, since you’ll be removing material, and no one will see it anyway, maybe best to just leave it.

Duracuir1 and DoctorEvil like this.
  10. scapa Sep 27, 2022

Agree. Not worth it, IMO, especially since you've done an excellent job -- those scratches look way, way better than they did. Well done.

DoctorEvil likes this.
  11. t268 Oct 9, 2022

He’s not wrong

C9ED64F8-842C-4C69-830A-2FE156A386B0.jpeg
    M'Bob and DoctorEvil like this.
  12. mrchen Oct 19, 2022

Honest question but why do the scratches at that location bother you so much?

I feel everything in your photos even pre-Cape Code polish to be typical wear and tear on a watch once it goes on a wrist. It's akin to getting upset the tires on your new car are scratched once it leaves the lot. Omega is all about high polish on its straight lug models, if it's really gonna be an issue, you may want to stick with oyster cases.

Ree and jjjones like this.
  13. S.H. Oct 19, 2022

Because it shows when you are wearing the watch on leather... Here is what typical wear and tear should look like between the lugs:

IMG_20221016_164617.jpg

15 years old Sinn bought on steel bracelet with well made SELs. No gashes on the case.

Vintage Rolex with stamped end links are quite bad in this regard, but you are supposed to wear them on bracelet only :rolleyes:

M'Bob and marco like this.
  14. Donn Chambers Oct 19, 2022

Happened to be wearing my FOiS on a strap today after having it on the Forster bracelet for much of the summer.

yes, if you look REALLY closely from the side, you can see scratches. But who really notices that? if scratches on your SS watch really bother you that much, just put it in a safe and wear a ceramic watch.

06300EC6-FC7D-4782-B14B-46C96B8F95C6.jpeg

Edited Oct 19, 2022
    M'Bob and hansmaulwurf like this.
  15. mrchen Oct 19, 2022

I feel this is where the notions of something being a "sports watch" and a 'luxury item' come to an impasse.

I don't condone people abusing their watches, but it's tough for me to grasp that folks want to adopt the tool watch aesthetic but still let tiny, purely cosmetic scratches that literarily nobody but the wearer will notice live rent-free in their head.

Not taking shots at OP here, I'm just surprised that these types of things bother folks so much! Nearly every part on an Omega straight lug case except the case flank is brought up to a high polish. That type of treatment to stainless steel is bound to show imperfections as soon as you spend a day with it on the wrist.

Edited Oct 19, 2022
    Kiltie likes this.
  16. avidmark Oct 19, 2022

Almost certainly will happen with OEM bracelets aswell. It's metal on metal.

17. S.H. Oct 19, 2022

To each his own... Me, it's plonking more than beer money in a mechanical toy (a FOIS has not been a serious tool watch for decades now) and not caring about the little details and cosmetics: this I don't compute.

I actually like the SUG logo between the lugs of my Sinn, it is seen clearly on a leather strap even if it is a bit like an easter egg, and I was relieved after buying it and removing its bracelet that it was intact. Details, details... ::stirthepot::

M'Bob likes this.
  18. DoctorEvil Oct 20, 2022

Sorry but I have to respectfully disagree with your comparison. I'm more than OK with scratches on my car tyres and I regard that as normal wear and tear. But if the end links of the bracelet had a better fit, you'd think that it wouldn't leave such prominent marks. Maybe I'm just being fussy but I think that it would be noticeable even with a casual glance. In any case I'm resigned to keeping the bracelet on now. Saves me from having to switch straps every time I change my belt and shoe colour :D

M'Bob likes this.
  19. DoctorEvil Oct 20, 2022

Your scratches don't seem quite as bad as mine. I think you got off lightly.

20. M'Bob Oct 21, 2022

My Casio is a tool watch…