Mark II with 46.878.xxx movement from the 1980s?

Hello!

I just bought a wonderful Speedmaster Mark II from a watchmaker who is also a friend of mine. So I trust him in every way.

When opening the watch we took a look at the movement and were baffled!

The serial number of the movement is 46.878.xxx - which indicates, the movement was produced in the 1980s, 1985 to be exact for a C.861!

The Mk.II was only produced until mid 1970s, so the movement fell out of time?!

When trying to find a clue, he said, ”nobody would have sacrificed a Speedmaster Professional (Mark I) or put a new movement in the watch, as Mark II were not very popular back then“.

I do not think the watch was built in the 1980s, I rather think, someone has put a new movement in it because they loved the watch?

What do you think?

Thanks and best regards!
Edited:

Like 1
Yep only real explanation is that the movement (or serial bridge) was swapped. The Speedy Pro isn’t the only watch to use the 861 and in any case it may just have been bought whole without any sacrifice.

Like 1
What’s the case, dial and hands look like ?

Could be a Watchco build !

Doesn’t look like that movement has had a screw turned ever… if the rest of the watch is as neat :whistling:

Like 1
What’s the case, dial and hands look like ?

Could be a Watchco build !

Doesn’t look like that movement has had a screw turned ever… if the rest of the watch is as neat :whistling:
The whole watch - case, glass, dial, hands, bracelet - was in a wonderful condition. Almost as if brand-new. See photo!

Like 1