Forums Latest Members
  1. distractor May 30, 2020

Hey Omega fellows,

So I found this decent looking Mark II but the seller says the hour part does not reset but is in working condition. Power reserve is 42 hours, last serviced (as mentioned on the back of the dial is 2016). Seller claims a service would fix the issue with the reset and this is a common issue with 70s Mark II.

Wondering if that information is valid? Attaching a few pictures of the watch.

Stay safe
    D
    www.facebook.com/distractorcoffeeart

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

mk2.JPG
  2. bama2141 May 30, 2020

Common problem. A proper service will fix it.

distractor likes this.
  3. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker May 30, 2020

Not common at for the hour recorder not to reset. Common that it creeps certainly, but not resetting is a completely different issue.

What is causing this can vary, from a broken pivot on the hour recording wheel, to a damaged hole in the main plate, or even a worn cam on the hour wheel or worn hammer. It can certainly be fixed, but in most cases where this problem occurs, it will require parts.

Cheers, Al

4. distractor May 30, 2020

Thank you @bama2141 and @Archer
    I live in Oman (I'm Indian and the watch is in Canada), and I don't think the technical expertise here either in Oman or India is good enough to look at a vintage piece. I may have to request the seller to get it done, but not sure of the costs. Any ballpark from your experience?
    Normally I would have let go of such deals, but the seller was open about it and that is pushing me to take the plunge. Also, does anyone know anything about the watches iin UGWC facebook group. The seller allegedly is a regular there but has no feedback anywhere else.

D

5. SpikiSpikester @ ΩF Staff Member May 30, 2020

I'm not seeing what's so good about this watch... and it doesn't sound like a trouble free transaction either. Am I missing something ?

6. mr_yossarian May 30, 2020

Be smart. There are plenty of similar quality MK2 around. Choose one that has a serviced movement, pay for that and don't go for the cheapest one..this is something that usually gives you a headache instead of happiness.

7. distractor May 30, 2020

Been asking myself the same question. Its kinda weird, sometimes I just harp on a watch and put in all the effort :)
    My 2531.80 happened that way too. The guy had it for sale on WUS for a long time, for some reason no one asked him for it and he withdrew it. I got fixated on it and well he even gave me a bargain and its on my wrist as I type this.
    Lets see how this pans out.
    Its not like the price is sweet too - He is firm on $1650.

8. JwRosenthal May 30, 2020

This is potentially a money-pit, and a blind purchase. You posted this not to get an idea of the repair but for us to talk you out of something that could potentially be a disaster- walk away- there you go.

9. distractor May 30, 2020

:thumbsdown: Si signore

JwRosenthal likes this.
  10. ConElPueblo May 30, 2020

Claiming that a service will fix something that obviously needs a repair as opposed to regular maintenance is a common issue with sellers, I'd say.

kkt, mr_yossarian and SpikiSpikester like this.
  11. Sherbie May 30, 2020

Does that look like a movement thats was serviced in 2016?

not to me it doesnt, and i dont like the movement or the dial of this watch

walk away

distractor likes this.