Forums Latest Members
  1. Tom Dick and Harry May 14, 2015

Evening all

Not my usual fare but couldn't resist the early divers beauty. It is a lovely late 30's / early 40's Marine Standard.

image.jpg

There were produced by Omega mainly but also JLC and apparently Hermes

image.jpg

The watch is in lovely condition, like so many it has some fractures in the lugs (a common feature apparently), which I am going to have laser welded at STS with their shiny new laser welding equipment

image.jpg

The case is lovely and crisp, inner case is nice and corrosion free and the movement and dial are simply lovely! The dial is a real stand out item on the watch

image.jpg image.jpg

Anyway, just wanted to share what is a pretty rare and IMHO lovely early divers watch with the crown and hopefully encourage a few other images

image.jpg

Looks great on nos period eel skin band but also comes with the original Hadley deployment band as stained on the omega marine

image.jpg

Cheers Tom

image.jpg
    gminnj, Rman, GregH and 13 others like this.
  2. mac_omega May 14, 2015

Hi Tom,

I think there are no cracks in the lugs - it is an original "feature", just a line from the production process... it seems as if the material was "folded"

I have seen the same on early Omega cases from that era

BTW nice watch! congrats

erich

3. Modest_Proposal Trying too hard to be one of the cool kids May 14, 2015

I've never seen an Omega with just the retailer's name on it (not double signed). Very interesting!

And to add to Mac_Omega's comment - yes, that would remind me of a Longines Czech case. Perhaps the same process?

mlonginesmils02.jpg
    Alpha likes this.
  4. Tom Dick and Harry May 14, 2015

Thanks guys thats great news............ will have to find something else to send to STS to test drive their new laser welder with then ;););)

5. Mods I'm not really an ΩF mod but I play one on TV May 14, 2015

Superb catch Tom, and you are right that dial is wonderful!
    Dibs :)))

6. Matty01 Port Adelaide's No.1 Fan May 15, 2015

Bautiful, lovely dial ...

7. Tom Dick and Harry May 15, 2015

Thanks chaps, yep I am thoughtfully chuffed and the timekeeping is cracking! for some reason it keeps sticking at 5:45 but I think its the hands so will get my watch guy to look at it.

Cheers Tom

8. wwhntr Aug 23, 2016

I apologize for resurrecting old thread, but ran across this while searching forums. Gorgeous watch...love that dial. I was aware of the first Omega Marine, (borrowed photo from Google search)

image.jpeg
    but not the "standard" versions. While at a show in Louisville, KY, a seller walking the floor offered an interesting watch to two LeCoultre collectors sitting next to me. When they showed little interest I asked to look at watch and was intrigued by the design. While I don't usually buy 30's-40's rectangular watches, this one seemed interesting enough to take a chance on. Seller and I agreed on a price, which I think turned out to be more than reasonable after doing some research!

Your Hermes appears to be the same case design as my my LeCoultre, except my watch doesn't have the patent information on inside case back. I have noticed that the Omega Marine Standard case is slightly different...the hinges are protrude from the case more and are visible looking at watch from the dial side. (Borrowed photo from Google search)
    image.jpeg

I have read that the same manufacture supplied cases for several companies. I believe your Hermes is the same case design as my LeCoultre.

The crystal and dial are longer on Omega Marine Standard. The lugs may be shorter also. What do you think?
    image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg

GregH and Giff2577 like this.
  9. wwhntr Aug 23, 2016