Forums Latest Members

Many Faces (And Straps) Of Skyfall Aqua Terra On A Budget

1. BattlefieldTrst Feb 3, 2020

Very new to the forums, but as you all have been so helpful to me with all the imagery of my latest dream watch to ponder, thought I'd add to the mix.

I'm the recent owner of a 38.5mm Skyfall Aqua Terra, ref. 231.10.39.21.03.001, thanks to seller @Kringkily. One thing that appealed to me about this watch was its versatility and ability to be worn with leather, rubber, or bracelet. To try on all the 'looks', I went a little strap crazy. The 19mm lug width is uncommon but not impossible to find straps/deployment clasps to work with it. Pics, prices and types below.

First, the original look this watch was designed for, bracelet and all:
    [​IMG]

But of course, the beauty of this piece doesn't end there. Next I arranged for a 19mm DeVille Havana red leather with alligator grain strap (sub $50 USD) and a polished 18mm aftermarket Omega deployment clasp (also sub $50 USD). A great look for a suit or a business casual kind of day:

[​IMG]

At this point, I decided to make it a little more interesting and was able to find a dark leather NATO strap that was a hair under 20mm, meaning it fit the 19mm lug widths nicely (around $30 USD). On NATO straps, I prefer to use curved lug pins so the straps fit better. First, on my hand:

[​IMG]

And next to a favorite knife. This pic brings out the unique color on this dial - in some light, it's so dark it looks black:

[​IMG]

And here's where things get interesting. I was trying next to create a rubber strap look like you'll see available for the 41.5mm versions of the Aqua Terra with 20mm lugs - and there are plenty of OEM rubber straps and aftermarket in 20mm width but not in 19mm. Try as I might, I couldn't find a 19mm version and the 20mm versions simply wouldn't fit on the pin holes in the lugs no matter how hard I tried. To create something similar, I went with a 19mm Barton Elite silicone strap (I love those straps because of the release lever on the inside of each strap, allowing them to be changed out without a pin removal tool), and they run around $15 USD on Amazon:

[​IMG]

Of course, the OEM AT rubber straps come with a deployant clasp, and I found an aftermarket Omega 18mm deployant accepted the Barton strap ends nicely (again, sub $50 USD for the aftermarket deployant), and will do well to add a touch of class to what otherwise would be a very casual/outdoors look to the strap:

[​IMG]

And a shot of the deployant side:

[​IMG]

Long story short, happy to be part of the club and if these pics nudge anyone else to add this watch, I don't think you'll be disappointed. If it inspires some folks to try different straps on their AT without breaking the bank, then it will have been a good day.

Wear them well!

2. CanberraOmega Rabbitohs and Whisky Supporter Feb 3, 2020

Have you got more pics of the AT on the red leather?

3. BattlefieldTrst Feb 3, 2020

Thats it for now, but will add them as I get them!

4. imranbecks Feb 4, 2020

Mine on a leather nato...

[​IMG]

And on the Bond nato...

[​IMG]

Seashepherd, avidmark and Longbow like this.
  5. BattlefieldTrst Feb 4, 2020

[/QUOTE]
    Nice! Makes me want to expand my NATO collection! I've found the OEM/'seatbelt strap' variety to be most comfortable, there's plenty of NATOs that feel like they were made out of canvas ::puke::

6. Lenny Pepperidge Feb 4, 2020

Brilliant. As for 19mm, I have an old TAG 4000 Auto from the 90s, that's 19mm. I was able to find some really nice perforated leather replacement straps for a deployment buckle. I think it was a common size for TAGs, so searching with that might help.

https://us-watchstrapworld.glopalst..._medium=wi_proxy&utm_content=en_GB&utm_term=a

7. BattlefieldTrst Mar 10, 2020

Better late than never!
    [​IMG]
    And a second image, the lighting made the face almost look black but that's the beauty of this shade of AT!
    [​IMG]

8. Drb477 Mar 10, 2020

Where did you find the deployment?

9. BattlefieldTrst Mar 10, 2020

Etsy. There are a few sellers on there shipping aftermarket ones out of Britain. I couldn’t justify the hundreds of dollars for the OEM. WatchcornerGB is the supplier I’d recommend on Etsy.

10. YY77 Mar 11, 2020

You can also try combat-straps.com got a strap there, he offered an Omega style deployant for around 40usd. Don't know if you can just buy the clasp.

11. BattlefieldTrst Mar 21, 2020

Another idea, on a $20 strap from GAALCollection on Etsy. Great quality strap![​IMG]

12. hejsam Mar 23, 2020

Skyfall is best on bracelet or rubber IMO
    IMG_7965.jpeg IMG_2771.jpg

Longbow and BattlefieldTrst like this.
  13. BattlefieldTrst Mar 23, 2020

14. hejsam Mar 23, 2020

Bought it from Ebay a couple of years ago. Its a no-name planet ocean rubber ripoff in 19mm with deployent clasp!
    Good quality for no-name rubber I think, sorry I cant help you with the source!

15. BattlefieldTrst May 3, 2020

Some more of this beauty on some new(er) straps. First, a lovely 20mm navy blue and red stripe NATO, fits nicely even on the 19mm lug widths of this watch - which is in my mind very nautical and fitting in the theme of this watch. Traditionally, these NATO straps were indicative of a military unit, and here in the States the navy blue and red definitely remind me of my dress blues from the Marines.
    [​IMG]
    And this one is on a blue and grey NATO, more traditional to the OEMs that Omega has for sale but purchased at 1/20th of the price.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

16. Drb477 May 3, 2020

This isn't the skyfall, its the >15000 gauss, but thread inspired me to experiment with straps on mine... Clockwise from left hirsch calf leather, rubber from etsy, oem steel, and hirsch roby.

20200401_074644.jpg
    Edited May 3, 2020
    DJG2645 likes this.
  17. kpinthebay May 5, 2020

Wow that blue dial sure is nice! Love the pairing with the blue rubber (or silicone).

18. ducatiti Jul 24, 2021

After 6 years of aftermarket alligator and leather straps, finally manned up to purchase OEM Alligator and deployant. Well worth the money spent. If I can do it again, I would have gone the OEM route and would have never looked back.
    68263EBF-6837-442B-BA4B-4C105F569C3C.jpeg 0532B764-C8C6-424A-9E76-F85695F00227.jpeg 865D3C17-431A-4794-842B-DECF58834B20.jpeg DB33B372-44EB-48B2-AFED-BD802A426056.jpeg

19. AngelDeVille Jul 24, 2021

I have had a couple non-oem clasps, and I just had to get oem for my AT, but I went with combatstraps for the stingray.

I was really leaning toward the ostrich leg leather, maybe for the next watch.

[​IMG]

20. tikkathree Jul 25, 2021

you guys with all your strap photos.... you'll get a guy in trouble....

LuckyLes likes this.