Forums Latest Members

Manual Wind Watch Long Term Storage

1. Watchgurl Sep 15, 2021

Hello,

I am seeking advice for storing a brand new Speedmaster FOIS we purchased for our first born who we plan to gift it to once he finishes college (or accomplishes a big mile stone in life). It will be a while as he is in elementary. We got the watch couple of years ago and it has been in my locker since.

Perhaps @Archer or someone knowledgeable and an expert can kindly advise. What would be the best way for long term keeping. Should the watch be wound every now and then intermittently so the parts inside don't jam up etc. Or would the best route be simply putting the box away and taking it out when it is time. We plan on obviously having the watch serviced either way first before we present it.

Just looking for best possible option.

Thanks

marcn likes this.
  2. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Sep 15, 2021

If it’s just sitting long term you won’t have any issues with movement wear but you will have the oils dried up by the time your child is old enough to wear it, so ideally before you gift it to them have it serviced then just by a local qualified independent, then they can wear it as if it were brand new.

connieseamaster and Watchgurl like this.
  3. Dan S Sep 15, 2021

Yup, just put it away in a clean, dark, dry place, and have it serviced before you give it as a gift.

Archer and Watchgurl like this.
  4. Watchgurl Sep 15, 2021

Thank you @dsio and @Dan S for the quick replies. I really appreciate the help. Will do as advised.

5. FL23833 Sep 15, 2021

Why not buy him a watch when he's that old instead? Speedys probably will have a few refreshes by then with better specifications and there's always the chance he won't even like wrist jewelry.

6. Dan S Sep 15, 2021

I suspect that this is a birth-year watch for him, which is a fantastic gift, and very thoughtful IMO. I can't imagine that he won't be thrilled by this gift.

noelekal, haqq777 and Scarecrow Boat like this.
  7. Pazzo Sep 15, 2021

I wonder what the selling price would be by that time!?

8. notchrishansen Sep 15, 2021

Did the same thing here and just letting it sit unwound since it'll get service eventually. Its not getting water or light, so hope it doesn't die :taunt:

And wish'd someone got me one too.. the price of NOS birth-year watches are insane.

9. DaveK Yoda of Yodelers Sep 15, 2021

Would the watch ideally be stored with desiccant that’s refreshed maybe once a year?

Pazzo and Dan S like this.