Forums Latest Members
  1. aesguerra Feb 9, 2017

Good morning everyone. This one goes out to the vintage crowd. A coworker told me of a watch that his dad left for him upon his death (it may be a 1960's Seamaster 300 (possibly a 165.0024)). At any rate, after he saw my new Speedmaster, he is thinking about bringing his out to the light of day.

Thing is that this watch has been in storage for a very long time, since 1992. My understanding is that it has been sitting in a safety deposit box in Los Angeles, never worn, never wound, it quite possibly has never even brought out of that safety deposit box since it was placed there. I'm still way too much of a newb to be rendering reliable advice on how to bring that timepiece out of its slumber, even if some things are a given (ie - time to have it serviced).

Any guidelines are highly appreciated, especially recommendations for a watchmaker in either the Los Angeles or San Francisco area that has experience servicing vintage timepieces.

Thanks in advance.

Alex
    San Mateo, CA

Edited Feb 9, 2017
    Etp095 likes this.
  2. Vitezi Feb 9, 2017

The very first thing to do is post well-lit, focused photos of the watch here, so that we may all drool over your find.
    Only then can we offer advice. :)

3. Jwit Not a doctor, but plays one on ΩF Feb 9, 2017

Tell him to not wind it or wear it until it is serviced. The oils could have dried up and running the watch could potentially damage it

Foo2rama and aesguerra like this.
  4. dbane007 Feb 9, 2017

I would suggest taking it for service to ABC Watcherks or LA Watchwerks.

kyle L and aesguerra like this.
  5. Dash1 Feb 9, 2017

Agree pictures would be great. A full service by a knowledgeable expert would be a must.

SgWatchBaron and aesguerra like this.
  6. aesguerra Feb 9, 2017

Oh TRUST ME! I'm buzzing with excitement on seeing it myself! First thing I told him is, "I NEED TO SEE PICTURES!" Haha!

The, "Don't wind it till serviced," is the first thing I'll tell him when he comes in..., right after the reminder for pics. :p Thanks Jwit. And thanks for the recommendation dbane007.

Alex

Jwit likes this.
  7. brunik Feb 9, 2017

IMO all depends of the condition of the watch... if runs well... for what touching it?

Waiting the photos as well :)

Regards

8. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Feb 9, 2017

Because oils don't last for 25 years...

Etp095, Petrus, SgWatchBaron and 11 others like this.
  9. Stewart H Honorary NJ Resident Feb 9, 2017

Would you take a car that hadn't been run for 25 years and just start it up and run it until it wrecked the engine?

10. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Feb 10, 2017

Do you read some posts and think, "glad I'm not servicing their watches"

Vicke likes this.
  11. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Feb 10, 2017

Yes - it's not the watch's fault though...

SgWatchBaron, terryb111 and Stewart H like this.
  12. ryanpatrick Feb 10, 2017

Limited experience with them, but Manhattan Beach Watch Repair seems to do good work and the staff is friendly.