Manual watches with lugs like the 135.XXX

I fell in love with the lugs on the 135.070. It seems there are other model with similar lugs, but I can't find any classification or exhaustive list.

So far I found that 131.XXX have the same lugs(or are they different?)

I am looking to buy a mint watch like this with a manual movement. So far I've read that 601 is best. Should I also loo for 6XX in general? I mainly care about ease of maintenance and availability of parts and 601 seems very popular.

It seems it's best to look for a steel version since gold plating or filling will get worn out. Is that correct?

Kind regards

I don't know if you will find any other Omega cases quite as ugly and utilitarian as a 135.070. :D

But if you want a hand-winder, have you considered a 135.011 or something in that family? They are somewhat similar, but at least they have a bezel and more shape to the lugs.

Like 1
Yep, that's right people... super ugly watches. If you have a mint/NOS one, sell it to me for cheap.

On a serious note, beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

How much do you recon I should pay for a mint/NOS watch matching my description? I am aiming for 500-600 €.

I would say that a simple hand-winding Geneve from the 60s can easily be found in that price range in very good condition.

IMO, the mint/NOS constraint is a bit pointless for an entry-level model. I would suggest focusing on a clean dial with a sharp case, but if there is some wear or minor polishing, I wouldn't let that stop you from buying a watch. You could spend years searching for a totally pristine example. It makes more sense just to buy a good watch at an inexpensive entry point and get it on your wrist. You can always upgrade later if something better turns up opportunistically. And TBH, your taste may evolve over time anyway.

If you want an ugly and utilitarian case, try the ST135.041, but they did do some funky dial/hands combinationsOmega ST135.041 wrist.JPG

Like 2
I would say that a simple hand-winding Geneve from the 60s can easily be found in that price range in very good condition.

IMO, the mint/NOS constraint is a bit pointless for an entry-level model. I would suggest focusing on a clean dial with a sharp case, but if there is some wear or minor polishing, I wouldn't let that stop you from buying a watch. You could spend years searching for a totally pristine example. It makes more sense just to buy a good watch at an inexpensive entry point and get it on your wrist. You can always upgrade later if something better turns up opportunistically. And TBH, your taste may evolve over time anyway.

What's the best place to look for it? So far I am scouring eBay and Chrono24.

Also, what would you say is a non-entry vintage Omega? Seamaster 300? I already have a non-omega diver, so I am looking for a more of an Omega manual elegant watch.

As for my taste - 162.0052 and 166.0079 top my list in terms of ugly.

If you want an ugly and utilitarian case, try the ST135.041, but they did do some funky dial/hands combinationsOmega ST135.041 wrist.JPG
I am more into this look:
IMG_20240428_185246.jpg

Like 1
Don't take my comments too seriously. You are correct in saying that beauty is in the eye of the beholder, and regardless of being entry-level, the movements in the watches you are considering are good quality.

I've never had much luck with C24, eBay can be a good place to look if you have enough knowledge to identify bad examples with replacement parts. There is a thread where @dsio posts recommended listings on eBay. The private sales forum on OF is a good place to look.

Like 1
I’d agree with @Dan S that the 135.011 are similar to the 135.070.
If you’re considering an auto I’d also throw the 165.002 and 165.001 into the mix.

I don't know if you will find any other Omega cases quite as ugly and utilitarian as a 135.070. :D

But if you want a hand-winder, have you considered a 135.011 or something in that family? They are somewhat similar, but at least they have a bezel and more shape to the lugs.

Some very unique models in this case though

@mseamaster you could build quite a collection, google: "Seamaster 300 Companion" for a grail

Right now, an original black dial that was not restored seems like the grail.

The one in the photo was restored.
IMG_20240428_204646.jpg

Yes it will be hard, in the last 3 years I don't recall seeing one original black dial in that case other than the companions and the technicals

Yes it will be hard, in the last 3 years I don't recall seeing one original black dial in that case other than the companions and the technicals
The OP might like one of those. Here is a nice technical dial I passed along to another OF member.

IMG_5036.jpeg

The OP might like one of those. Here is a nice technical dial I passed along to another OF member.

IMG_5036.jpeg
I am indeed fond of this. Technical dials are nice.